Easter Event for the NON Racers

I'm going sailing.When I have a reliable forecast I'll announce a destination for Friday, try to be there by 2pm and we'll have a social event, if there's enough it'll be a potluck on the beach, if no one turns up I'll have a quiet sundowner with the family. I've been stockpiling some Mount Gay.

If all goes well we'll repeat at Mansion House? Sunday.

Well, I'm off sailing tomorrow and will probably end up out at the Barrier. Let us know what's happening on Friday and where and we'll see if we can come crash the party. :) I may even bring the 12 string.

Squid, I'll drop you a text.

Yeah I'm keeping an eye on things too. If it's looking good then I'm gonna try the last Barrier run of the season. Otherwise, Kawau area.

Forecasts for Thursday through Saturday are still about as volatile as I've seen them. About the only thing I think you can say as that no one has much confidence in what's going to happen as yet. That said, wouldn't be putting my heart into a barrier trip.

Anyone consulted Ken Ring?

As Bob McDavit said, I usually get what happens right, its exactly when that eludes me,... or words to that effect.

Ken's a few days early.

This is from NZ Herald today, and also from kens book which says what today might have neen

analysis_201204021430.gif

april2.jpg

Is that really right?

So this so called nutter guy has drawn weather charts a year in advance that are actually very close to what we are now getting?

How's that possible?

Is that really right?

So this so called nutter guy has drawn weather charts a year in advance that are actually very close to what we are now getting?

How's that possible?

and hes been doing it for years. half the time hes more accurate than the long range forecast.

Nooooo, no he is not. Lookm at it in more detail. Anyone can do that. In fact if you take that map, i bet you it will look just as close next year. The ruff pattern is always the same. There are always highs and always lows. That is how our weather works. We have several "Zones" and as the Earth tilts, those Zones move postion. Below us, around the Antarctic Circle, Lows sweep around in ruffly three day patterns. You actually have to look at a far greater picture of the World and where the weather comes from. For instance, much of NZ's weather is made in the Indian Ocean. As the Earth tilts, the Seasons change and that is because the Convergence zones shift position. There are always High pressure Zones and Low pressure Zones. They can be drawn on a map and be placed fairly closely to accurate on the map. But what can not be predicted and is not predicted by Moonman is the interaction and thus the smaller local events are rarely accurate. and looking at his predictions, they are not.

Think about it also another way. With Auckland, you have a very good chance of saying that it there will be some showers, light NorthEasterlies and mild, with some Sun.

CHCH I can almost certainly say, morning will be Cool Easterly, cloudy but clearing later in the day.

Ok the forecast is firming up and the bottom end prbably not first choice in a SE. Any other suggestions, I would say make it an easy daysail from the city for the smaller boats and protected from the East?????

Motuihe is probably your best bet in a SE

Woody Bay, Rakino might be better if you want a close sail. Even Oneroa would be nice in a SE.

Ocean Beach Motuihe can still have quite a bit of slop in these conditions.

Archived