PHCC Around Waiheke Race 3rd March - Who is doing it?

Clipper

Hi Zen and thanks for making the right call to start

us at 10.30 as per sailing instructions. Something

strange was happening with our VHF as we tried in vain

7 times and could not reach you . Have just run test

to coastguard and reached them with no problems..Odd :problem:

Great day and thanks for being the start boat ,coz I know you would rather have been racing.

Cheers Graeme :thumbup:

My pleasure.

We spent the day running dinghy races from the same spot while I was fielding media enquiries about the RNZ. Then you buggers turned up again. Overkill I reckon, time to go cruising. If only summer would arrive.

Yeah Thanks very much Steve.

It took us all a little longer to get down this year than we expected (no wind and had to motor).

You can't really account for 888 running out of Fuel though.

we pretty much restarted at Pakatoa anyway so it was no big deal.

Definitely one of the best days on the water I've ever had.Every year it should be a southerly. Its a fantastic race and hopefully with no clashes next year we

could get back to a much bigger multi presence in the future.

Once upon a time we used to fill up the MSC breakwater with multihull platforms and party into the night.

This is one of Auckland's iconic races which has, sadly, not been promoted as well as it could have been over the last few years. Missing out Saturday was a bugger and we lost a few starters because of it but generally the fleet is a fraction of the good old days approaching 200 boats, albeit mostly trailer boats which are now a bit of a memory. I reckon we could make this event huge again with the right marketing. The MSC pissup alone is worth the money. Maybe next year. The boats that don't race at all should seriously make this event the one thing they do all year. Restricted division, couple of beers, magic.

Once upon a time we used to fill up the MSC breakwater with multihull platforms and party into the night.....Restricted division, couple of beers, magic.

Think you will find that Steve from the Multihull YC has this as a high priority for next years calendar. Bit early but any dates penciled in yet?

It was a magic day out on Superbird for sure. Good breeze most of the time and a few flukey bits to add interest, including the hole just before the finish where Capricorn was able to ghost up and pass us as we were drifting and then ended up not being able to lay the finish. Bummer for us but good on them, Cap goes real well in a few knots of breeze and the new owners have her looking really tidy. An excellent day, particularly after the shite Saturday. Lookin' forward to the next one. :thumbup:

Once upon a time we used to fill up the MSC breakwater with multihull platforms and party into the night.....Restricted division, couple of beers, magic.

Think you will find that Steve from the Multihull YC has this as a high priority for next years calendar. Bit early but any dates penciled in yet?

Would be a good race to try and muster a cruising multihull division too.....

Archived