Solo sailor rescued off Raglan

Brendon

So that's an abandoned boat then?

I used to think that NZ had world class sailing but this 'summer' has changed my mind on that. It's not. It can be good in small spurts but it's too damn unsettled to rely on. :?

Now, where's my passport and altas...?

"Will he be allowed back out on a boat again?"

"No. No."

:cry: If you said I could never sail again - you might as well put a gun to my head and shoot me now. :thumbdown:

I wonder what really went on. Nine meter seas are pretty horrendous. He looks very tired. I wonder what will happen with the yacht now? Call me naive :wink: , but it seems a little dangerous to leave it bobbing around out there unattended.

Cheap rum, dark dusky women, plenty of fish and fresh seafood, good music, good company. I'm not asking too much am I?

No Ogre - just what I was thinking - bar the dark dusky women lol. But I would add plenty fresh fruit and vegies - especially coconuts for my rum.

I don't think you need a Passport AC. It is not far off shore at all and you could darn near scoot out there in an inflatable.

What I don't understand is why these guys give up after the main event. The weather was improving and fast. I can understand someone giving up in the height of a storm or if the storm was growing in intensity. Everyone has that breaking point of "let me off this ride", but for an experienced sailor like that fellow is supposed to be and after the storm has passed, I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying this guy is a poor sailor. I wasn't there and I didn't experience what he experienced and his reasoning in why he made the decision of getting off. I just don't understand is all.

As for 9M sea's? well the seas in the vid are not 9m. Maybe they were at the height of the Storm, but none of the weather services showed sea's that high out there. Nasty sea's, yes, but not unlike stuff we have experienced and got through and if I can do it with my Medical problem, anyone can. For me, wanting off the boat during such stuff, I sometimes would have given anything to get off, but didn't. We hung in there knowing it would always get better.

Cheap rum, dark dusky women, plenty of fish and fresh seafood, good music, good company. I'm not asking too much am I?

Well it's funny, because all the places I've been with palm trees, warm water and trade winds have "Cheap rum, dark dusky women, plenty of fish and fresh seafood, good music, good company"

Some technical brainy person may be able to work out the correlation, me, I just enjoy it!

:D

Hey Wheels, you've fallen behind in the fantasy! The passport is not for getting the yacht, it's for stop 2, somewhere in the tropics.

If you are going to be part of the crew you need to keep up! :)

I'm wondering why he wasn't hove to. Can't see a drogue or sea anchor out. I'm guessing he's been really hammered and the forcast is for more so he decided to bail out. Thats fair enough as only he knows his abilities and the difficulties he's faced.

Must be a well built spray dodger, then again it may have been stowed during the worst of it.

Would be good to know the full story, seems to be something missing.

newstainment! I mean here's a really interesting story with real drama and action heroics and all they give is about a minute worth of coverage! I guess they have to rush off to listen to Peters babbble on about sh*t.

Lots of comments, but does anyone know what boat it is, I can't place Alan Brown. It looks a pretty good boat. T'was probably a bit lonely out there, I've always had a shoulder to cry on.

Yes BBay, I agree and I was saying to Dawn at the time, but what about Pelagian's Mayday. Why didn't they report on that? Was it because they didn't have footage? Very disapointing

................................... It looks a pretty good boat. T'was probably a bit lonely out there, I've always had a shoulder to cry on.

Indeed.

Ever since (in the late 1950s) I saw the mad glint in Adrian Hayter's eye, I've been suspicious of single handing and single handers.

Clearly, there are some who relish the lonely seas and skies, but the history of this arcane branch of sailing illustrates that many brave souls are driven to it by some sort of misplaced machismo and, in consequence, suffer intense loneliness, often to their peril.

I was quickly cured of any temptation to single hand when I did a 20 mile race around Wellington Harbour - no one to have a beer with!

Warning, I am drifting this thread slightly to left. Or is it right. Anyway, I have been asked by a few now of what I think of the Gulf. My reply has been, nice but something missing. In the Sounds, because we all tended to use the moorings, you end up rafting up to people and I can't say I have ever had a negative raft up. It has always been fun and we soon realised that the kind of boating we really enjoyed was meeting others and hearing thier stories. But you don't get that up here. Everyone is anchored and becuase I don't know whos who out there, we don't go knocking on the hatches of strangers. So I have actually been finding it very lonely out there, even though we are anchored in a bay of many other boats. It's been quite strange.

Archived