Young 99 vrs Young 11

smithy09

OK. Here's one where I'm sure that crew members can help me out. (Fineline, others?)

After a long absence, (20 yrs) I am looking at buying another keeler. I am looking for a yacht that is rewarding to sail, ie, when you have the kite up in 20 knots on the edge of a swell, and wiggle the tiller, off she goes. I sailed a Lotus 1280 for a few years and found her slow and un-rewarding, but had a steer of a Ross 40 in the coastal classic, and loved it!.

Cruising with family will be the start, but then I would like to do some club racing, and races like the, Auckland to Tauranga, Coastal Classic and RNI look like fun.

I started looking at 88s, and yes, you cannot beat the racing they have to offer, but they looked and felt a bit small for offshore stuff, and the accomadation looked pretty cramped.

So then I spotted a Young 99 but it sold in about 5 seconds. I have finally found another 99 and been for a sail in her. Not bad, I was almost set to buy it (And maybe still will) when a Young 11 came up at the same price.... (Witchy Woman) The Young 11 is probably not quite as nice down below and probably not so well equipped as the 99, but is it a better buy in the long term? Better performance I am sure, but harder to handle short handed, or with family? Especially with a standard keel? How strong are the Y11s? I read about "Flying Circus" in Wellington having to do quite a bit of remedial work a few years ago..

I would really welcome your expertise and opinions on this! I've got 5 weeks before I am home (Working offshore) and get a chance to look at the Y11, so while I mull it over, your feedback would be much appreciated..

Cheers, Smithy.

witchy woman looks alot more kitted out for cruising than modified force eleven. it has a furler and a dodger. if a blind man and his missus can go away on the force then anyone can go away 2 up on witchy. not sure what they are like with standard keels. but i imagine you could anchor closer to the beach. also not sure how they are performance wise full of extra furniture

dont know anything about the 99s other than they are a bit smaller

How big's your family, Smithy? You will really notice those extra couple of metres - and what you can pack into them - when you are cruising, especially if they come at the same price. And as is always the case with kids, next year they will be bigger again and one day wanting to bring mates along etc.

there isn't 2m diff more like 2ft as a 99 is 10.34 from memory

Witchy is original as she came out of the factory so performance wise they will be very similar having sailed against both and its only the turbo 11 that can sail away from us.

Witchy was sailed for years by an older guy and his wife who's into fishing and sailing is just what she does to get out there and that was when she didn't have a furler (witchy that is)

I'd say both can be sailed 2 up easily enough

You may be comparing a good 99 against an older 11 ?

Thanks all.

The 99 has a bulb keel but is still only 1.85 metres draft. It has done the RNI and is cat 2 less the raft. It also has a nice set of sails as well as cruising sails. It has been well raced though and is not pristine, but with a quick look at Witchy's photos, she is not either...

The 99 has a standard rig I am pretty sure, and has not been turbo'd at all. Yes the Y99 is in fact 10.34 metres.

Family is Mum (Non sailor) and me, a 12 year old opti sailor and a 9 year old "learn to sail" opti sailor!!

I know that many of the kiwi boats designed and built in the late 80s had the reputation as "tip trucks" and really came into their own with new keels and bulbs. I wondered if this was the case with the Y11. I guess the fact that Witchy has mainly been cruised means she won't have been too badly stressed..

Witchy Woman shots attached.

All feedback gratefully received. Thanks.126213112_full.jpg

126207088_full.jpg

Either one will work for you as a cruiser/racer with plenty of excitement downwind when there is a bit of puff.

Young 11s have good resale value due to the French folk slowly buying them all up and exporting them to Noumea. Witchy woman is probably already on their radar so you had better be quick!

The Young 99 will fit in a 10.5m berth instead of 12m for the 11 and new sails will cost less for the 99 due to the reduced area. Probably 10-15% less dosh all up for running costs.

We cruise Fineline 2 handed.. and my wife isn't much of a sailor. We have no anchor winch, no furler and an extra 1.5m of rig so if we can do it Witchy woman will be a breeze.

If the additional volume doesn't matter to you, I would consider the boats on their individual merits..overall condition, rig, sail wardrobe, electronics, crusing gear etc.

I sailed on Witchy Woman when it was new and still pretty spartan down below - well it was when we were racing it anyway. The Y11s were a pretty good boat, able to go offshore with a bit of beefing up but nothing really serious. It was a bit of a shame they didn't come out with bulb keels as the teckernology had been around - and the rudders were a wee bit barn doorish but I'm not bagging Jim's design. Big Ruby did a couple of offshore races, finished pretty close behind us on the Messy Games in the '90 Noumea Race (we spent a day going in the wrong direction and came in 2 sailing instead of rocking home with the kite up)

We had a memorable night on BR coming home from the Intergalactics in the Bay of Islands, Bizzle, Phizzle, Muzzle n me, black as a wotsits howzyerfather and fresh enough to run with a full main and nowt else. 10.5 hrs Cape Brett to Rangi light

Sailed on BR, WW, Route 66 2 handed and the F11 to Tauranga - I'd have one happily

Hi

i sail on the Young 11 Hullabaloo. it is completly standard like witchy woman is. it has also been cruised alot. even as a standard boat they get up and boggie.We will find out how they go two handed in the simrad. (three handed with richmond this sunday Any one else in FINELINE)

Force 11 is a very turboed boat. I dont think pete is trying to sell her.

Furture feedback (also out at HalfmoonBay) has just had there keel modified Added Winglets to the bottom of it. i am not sure how much better she goes now but Talking to john would be worth it. There are alot of young 11 owners out there i would talk to some of them. i don't know much about 99's but would look at the merits of the boats.

Another y11 racing in auckland would be great.

the guys in noumea watch this site, my money would be on the y11, just that much bigger all round. As you boys grow there will be more room for extras. The french love the y11 and any money spent shouldn't devalue to much, if at all. It looks well equiped - hmm, only if I wasn't starting from ground zero on the finacial ladder again.

You should do the smart thing

Ask the misses which one she likes :sailor: :sailor: :sailor:

Funny enough, I just emailed her and she likes the 11... Must have been telepathy, or maybe we just know how to live an easier life! :wink: :wink:

the guys in noumea watch this site, my money would be on the y11, just that much bigger all round. As you boys grow there will be more room for extras. The french love the y11 and any money spent shouldn't devalue to much, if at all. It looks well equiped - hmm, only if I wasn't starting from ground zero on the finacial ladder again.

Started from ground zero 2 years ago. Ex wife took half the house and Bank took the other half when I closed the business. I was lucky enough to find a job in the oil patch offshore, but still this purchase will be financed!! So yeah, I hear ya! I hope it's still there in 5 weeks...

the Intergalactics in the Bay of Islands,

That was a fun event or at least the bits I could remember mostly were.

Smithy, Mr Young wasn't the tip truck master. The King of the 80's tipsters was a dude called Mr Ross. You may have seen some of his boats in events like the Simrad, RNI, White Island and the well known Devo to Riverhead Rum Run. (sad play on the Troy McLure by-line there sorry)

I'm voting Y11 myself. Mainly due to the space.

I sailed on Witchy Woman when it was new and still pretty spartan down below - well it was when we were racing it anyway. The Y11s were a pretty good boat, able to go offshore with a bit of beefing up but nothing really serious. It was a bit of a shame they didn't come out with bulb keels as the teckernology had been around - and the rudders were a wee bit barn doorish but I'm not bagging Jim's design. Big Ruby did a couple of offshore races, finished pretty close behind us on the Messy Games in the '90 Noumea Race (we spent a day going in the wrong direction and came in 2 sailing instead of rocking home with the kite up)

We had a memorable night on BR coming home from the Intergalactics in the Bay of Islands, Bizzle, Phizzle, Muzzle n me, black as a wotsits howzyerfather and fresh enough to run with a full main and nowt else. 10.5 hrs Cape Brett to Rangi light

Sailed on BR, WW, Route 66 2 handed and the F11 to Tauranga - I'd have one happily

Sounds great, thanks Wal. OK, the big dollar question: How much for a new rudder and keel??

Paging Mr FnG - front desk please for customer service

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just dreaming Wal! Nice to know what you're up for though, and that carbon rudder and bulb keel on Spearhead looked mighty fine.... Add a prod..... Hmm. Might be working offshore for a while. Anyone want to buy a nice Post Classic Racing Motorcycle??

Wal, you used your hospital receptionist voice, a boatbuilder would never even realise you were trying to get his attention. A bit more: "Gazza. Gazzaaaaaaa! Turn that #$%&ing saw off! Some joker here wants a price on some bits for his boat."

Gotta hand it to you though, you do a very good hospital receptionist. :wtf:

Archived