Young 99 vrs Young 11

smithy09

Sounds great, thanks Wal. OK, the big dollar question: How much for a new rudder and keel??

Hullabaloo and Peppermint Planet both have the standard keel and go upwind just fine. Flying Circus and a few others have the Jim Young designed "wellington keel" which made them a bit stiffer for playing around in cook strait. There is probably a plug/mold for the "wellington keel" around somewhere. That would be the cheapest way to do it without having to fuss with the new ISAF rules which you would need to comply with if you planned on doing RNI i.e Cat-2.

Having explored the replacement keel option previously I can tell you that you are looking at $20-30K for the keel depending on approach and $8-12K for the rudder. You would still need to fork out $10k+ to get an ISAF stamp on the plans. I decided against it and bought Fineline instead.

My money is also on the Y11. Spent a few years on WW in her early days. She had a very cheap wheet bix interior that i presume has been long upgraded? Make sure yuo compare engine performance and reliability= engine hours etc as you can bet your bottom dollar mum will enjoy the boat with best motoring ability to weather.

Its just not right to compare a Y11 to a Ross 40 especially for that wiggle factor :D

Gotta hand it to you though, you do a very good hospital receptionist. :wtf:

What with those piddley arse pins!!!!!!

On Young 11's though, can tell you they are a great offshore platform and quite the complete boat out of the bag though rather fine in the bow sections ( something the swiv can't do a lot about on the forcë) from memory the 99 arrived as a production boat around 89 which unfortunately popped it alongside the E1050 in the sales arena. The Y11 has considerably more volume gain internally than you'd expect from the extra metre or so over the 99 which was something that really impressed about the E1050.

Was on the "pretty goats tour"to Noumea in 90 on the BR and thought 45 mins behind a Ross40 after a 1000 miles was a pretty good indication of how they behave in a seaway, ( the Wals still stamping his foot over that) oh and shy reaching backwards they are surprisingly quick

Thanks everyone. This stuff is gold.

I haven't really been involved in the Keeler scene in Auckland, just the odd race here and there in Noelex 25s, and the odd bigger boat. My last boat was in the UK and Med, and was a Froggie production boat (Dufour 29) so a little bit diferent!! Lived aboard for 3 years....

You're getting me all buzzed up though. Hope it's still there when I get back. I reckon Grant, Witchy's owner should be flicking the site a comission if I buy her!

Keep it coming!

Hey Fineline. I actually looked at Apparition as well, but then the 99 came along, and as it is not officially for sale, it meant that I could take my time! By the time I got the finance set up inbetween work committments it had sold. I knew you looked into the keel on her... Nice looking boat that!

Tony, you tell a fine yarn, albeit imbelished with half truths from a forgotten era....

Who Me ???? Embellish!!!!!!!! nah, was the following year when Big introduced the 151 cruzan that the memory is a bit hazy on.......mind you that sh*t left a trail of corpses......

Pepermint planet has a wellington keel. And hullabaloo will hopefully be getting faster up hill with a new toy or two....

is witchy woman's engine under the stairs or was it moved forward very early on (even before it was launched) to match force 11 and i think fineline.

I don't think it will still be there in 5 weeks You should start buying it now.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :clap:

I don't think it will still be there in 5 weeks You should start buying it now.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :clap:

Pretty hard to organise from Saudi and I certainly want a look first! If it goes, it goes, and I guess it will be Y99 for me. Still a nice boat I reckon.

that's a great shot. Couldn't have been far from a pitch pole? The shot that scared me was on Flying Circus's website of Mike Calkoen's "Flying Boat". Are masts meant to do that?? :shock: :shock:

flyingboat1.jpg

the cat nearly did...went further than that but poped back up. force never came close to a pitchpole. and about that rig...sure they do that...it helps power up the kite.....i have no idea. anyone know what happened next?

The 99 has a bulb keel but is still only 1.85 metres draft. It has done the RNI and is cat 2 less the raft. It also has a nice set of sails as well as cruising sails.]

Smithy, had the thought overnight that there may be only a small handful...or one?...99 that fits this description? If so, the owner makes a regular appearance round these parts:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13663&p=140677&hilit=Nonstop#p140677

The 99 has a bulb keel but is still only 1.85 metres draft. It has done the RNI and is cat 2 less the raft. It also has a nice set of sails as well as cruising sails.]

Smithy, had the thought overnight that there may be only a small handful...or one?...99 that fits this description? If so, the owner makes a regular appearance round these parts:

Can't confirm or deny!! :shifty: :shifty: Next thing it will be off to Noumea!

Can't confirm or deny!! :shifty: :shifty: Next thing it will be off to Noumea!

Not Negotiable may also fit that description

Had Not Negotiable for about 10 years - does'nt fit this description. She has a bulb on the bottom {most 99's had the dreaded shoe), had a scoop on the back and was rigged with masthead gear.

Loved the boat and was never, or rarely beaten in club racing, by the standard 11's. She had done a Suva race and is really strong. Space down below was on a par with 11's - the difference is less than 2 feet and the layout on the Double N made up for that. Had a separate master cabin.

Heard a rumour some time ago that she might be off to Noumea (where Shibumi, the last 99 sold, went).

aaahhh not going to start a slanging match but I doubt the NN would get near the Y11s in the early days when they were stripped out. Not that they're pigs tho. The boats racing now are much heavier, slower and not as well sailed. Peppermint Planet wasn't even close to the top Y11s back when it was new, way overweight

Lovely downstairs tho..

I did say club racing and standard boats!

Yes, the likes of Big Ruby, Honywell etc. were different boats compared to standard ones and I certainly won't comment on crew standards.

I think we are discussing cruiser racers at the moment, not racer cruisers.

Yes, well thought of winding the Big T up a little with NN's win/loss record against Y11s but decided that was a cruelty reserved for the likes of KM.

Y11s are I think a clear notch quicker than the 99s, particularly in breeze, WW may well still be fractional kites and going masthead is probably the easiest quick win for speed. As Wal says though, weight is key for performance and I think more so than usual for the Y11s. Exception to that of course is Mr Wolf, which is something of a killer machine which can hang it easily with all but the most modified Y11s, that said, she's basically a Y99 that got mod'd to a Y11.

Not such a consideration for cruising, but for racing, a nice and growing fleet of Y11s sail out of Westhaven, 3-4 I think down at Bucks Beach though only one races a lot, Wellington of course has 4+ Y11s and Tauranga seems to be NZ's current hot bed of Y99s with three there, also two Y11s, both I think a deal quicker than WW would be without some serious upgrading. May be a consideration depending on where you end up when you return.

Think you'll be happy whichever way you jump so in that respect it's a no lose proposition.

Exception to that of course is Mr Wolf, which is something of a killer machine

The "other" Mr Wolf will be apopletic (more so than usual) that you managed to drag his name into a leaner thread. Well done, I can hardly wait. :twisted:

Archived