Young 99 vrs Young 11

smithy09

Hey Markm. Based in Auckland. I work 6 weeks on, 6 weeks off, so I'm back regularly. The yacht would almost certainly be based at Westhaven. I'm glad I started this thread as I'm learning a lot about these boats, and it's still a difficult choice, but I haven't been on board WW so we will see. 4 weeks to go today if the crew change is on time!!

I sail on a standard Y11 and we also race it in the Simrad. It has been a fantastic boat even with the original danglers and reasonably competitive if we get it right.

The boat is also cruised and you could not ask for more in a boat of that size, I was lucky enough to have it for christmas and it was fantastic.

The Wellington keel seems to do PP a few favours in the heavier breeze but you still have to pick the right side of the course. Over the years we have been pretty close.

Here are pictures of a standard Y11 and and the FC with the wellington keel and a sexier rudder.

Will be good to see a few of the 11's out there in the Richmond 3 handed.... Bit of Humour! :D :shock: :?

post-1539-141887158812_thumb.jpg

post-1539-141887158824_thumb.jpg

Regarding the photo of Flying Boat we were experimenting with not having any backstay at all in the light. Unfortunately on that day the wind came up! Amazingly nothing happened, the bow popped up and the mast stayed in the boat. We have put the backstay back on.

WW lives (or did) up at Gulf Harbour, and looks to be tidy from the outside at least. She has raced a few times with us at Weiti, but nothing serious and she did'nt perform too well which we put down to how she was sailed. Y11's my pick if you have the $

Think WW may now be down Pine Harbour way, fairly sure when she races it's with Waikato YS.

Think you'll find the boat will fit in well at Westhaven, quite a nice range of cruising through to race modified Y11s there and again a range of experience amongst the crews racing the boats.

Also one Y99 (Oliver Sudden) racing regularly out of Westhaven and a pretty good group of similarly performing boats that would keep the racing part of your life interesting if you decide the Y99 is really the one to go for.

Regarding the photo of Flying Boat we were experimenting with not having any backstay at all in the light. Unfortunately on that day the wind came up! Amazingly nothing happened, the bow popped up and the mast stayed in the boat. We have put the backstay back on.

Wow. Lucky! Show what a mast can do I guess! Is that Mike? If so I used to race you in Paremata Harbour when you had Miss Elna.. That was you wasn't it?

Thanks for the pics BS. Yes I see what everyone means about the rudder. Keel is very standard Fin compared to the Y99 bulb. Nice to hear about the fleet in Westhaven Markm. Thanks for all the input. I will have to have a serious look at WW for sure! Cheers, Smithy.

Craig Smith. I sailed Moths at Paremata for a little while but was pretty useless, then got into Lasers and learned how to sail.. Miss Elna was the boat to beat back then I remember!

I thought he had bought the Express from you, but wasn't sure. He put his foot through the false floor in about the first month (Big Boy) and we had to fit a new one. That beast was light!! Great fun out on twin wires with the kite up though. Never quite sorted out the wing mark in a big blow.. Used to race Mick Pinkney a lot and he was the R class gun at Plimmerton. I remember that first capsize had to buy a jug of Rum and Coke at the Plimmerton YC Bar, and we bought a few :lol: :lol:

Yes, small world!

Intersting reading! Let everyone elso go first.

Yes an 11 will be faster generally than a 99- it is bigger. It depends what you are wanting to do with it really. The real difference seems to be that the cockpit is shorter than an 11, internally, stuff all different. Our 99 has 2 full size quarter berths-actually bigger than most 11's, but of course all boats are set up slightly differently. We find her great for cruising and covering in blood and fish scales- a good all rounder.

The rig of a 99 is about 300mm shorter and boom about 500mm shorter, so main a bit smaller. Most 99's have the original shoe keel less the wings, and same rudder as an 11.

All the gear is a bit lighter and smaller so of course a bit cheaper to run.

We love our 99 and are happy to go out and annoy the 11's. Performance wise yes a bit slower upwind, but bugger all difference downwind as you will run out of balls or kites long before boat speed!

Offshore I am very confident in her ability to look after us (top speed under bare poles- 12 knots!)

No matter what you end up buying it will be the gear/sails and condition that you should be basing the decision on. We looked at WW 4 years ago before buying Nonstop- she looked a good basic cruising boat- certainly not set up for racing at that time.

Good luck- buy a 99 and come and play in the RNI cos I am not biased!

Pete- "Nonstop"

Hi Pete.

Yes the cockpit length was what I noticed from the photos as well. The 99 I am looking at you would know quite well as you have raced against it a bit from photos I have seen and someone else spotted it here as well, but I don't want Noumea to hear me, so I am not shouting the name out loud!!!! Your comments make interesting reading, thanks. It is good to read all this stuff but not making any buying decisions easier. Like a few of you have said, I will probably have to take each boat on their merits, but if it hasn't sold, I will certainly take a look at WW, and go from there. I was all ready to tee up the survey on the 99 as well...... Still keen to read any other opinions. Thanks everyone.

Didn't the first 99s come out with winglets on the bulb? - looked a bit 'draggy' to us at the time.

The big push with the keel mods on the 11s separated into 2 camps - stub or no stub. The stubbed modded boats would have been cheaper to modify but perhaps not quite as efficient as lopping the stub keel off and whanging a T bulb or whatever variation you chose on to it. There'd be more boats with the stub version than not, mainly due to Wellington enthusiasm?

First ones did have winglets, gave better pointing upwind- but apparently slower downwind. Our ones are doorstops in first owners office now.

Archived