Young 99 vrs Young 11

smithy09

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in. Registered just for that purpose

Here is another thought, there is a very nice Young 12 with lolly scoop added to the stern in Trade Me at the moment. The present owner handles her fine with a young family.

This 14'6 beam wolud allow your family to grow. You would have a boat that would leave the 99 and 11 in their wake :) If short handed just put up less rag.

Both boats are fantastic options. I use to race a lot in Wellington during the mid 90s on a young99 called "Special fx" upwind we couldn't quite hang on the the 11's or the 1050's but we where v fast downhill with the masthead gear in the light. She also use to fly downwind in a breeze with excellent manners cracked just a flick over 20knots!

The only downside I can see to a young 11 is unless you going to upgade it as the rest of town does you wont be up there with the other 11's and that can suck. Trying buying a flash main $$$

But either way its hard to be down on your luck owning either good luck!

Having let the dust settle and everybody have their say as a long time lurker its probably appropriate that now I get to say my bit. Especially as there is now 4 pages devoted to the great ship Double N (as half of you have guessed). She is not on the market and hasn't been but of course everything is for sale. To answer the question a Young 11 will beat a Young 99 just look at the handicaps on racetrack. Maybe a well sailed 99 with new rags will head off an Y11 with old rags.

Looking at another thread I see a bunch of usual suspects are looking at the RNI again, maybe these old bones have got a fourth one in them. One would think I would have learn't after three.Its unfinished business as after looking at Daniade's stern all the way round I've worked his plan, put a bloody great big anchor on roller on the bow and you go downhill all the way. Nonstop I didn't mind that you got a better handicap than me but to show up with a prod and gennakers and disappear over the horizon at Mangonui took a couple of years off my life and I want them back so you wont get away with that next time. Oracle after having two close encounters around the sharp bits of the country in the middle of the night throwing away half your rudder to get less wetted surface was a plan that didn't work. So maybe I need a cunning plan of my own.

Smithy for a guy who wanted to go slow and quiet on purchasing I don't think you have achieved that especially when you show poor old Double N ends naked bottom on prime time.

I sail on hullabaloo, very nice down below!! as the owner says, he likes to cruise...quickly! Round the cans we keep up with Peppermint when we keep it together, just lose out because of the boat weight and the lack of mods.

As for short handed, I'm gonna find out this weekend, 3 handed (richmond I think), should get the heart going!

Have a wander down R pier, there's Peppermint Planet, Force Eleven, Sudden Impulse and little old Hullabaloo down the end. I'm sure you'll spot the differences between F11 (or Fineline on S) and Hullabaloo.

I was just about to flick a man a txt and tell him there's a nasty rumor his boat is for sale.

I was begining to wonder if we could get the old lead mine ready in time for round the north but seeing double N may do it has got me all keen again.

Are we going to see some new toys on double n this winter?

Well maybe Willow can't let these proddy things get the better of me. But next weekend no flash stuff dont want to show to much on the handicap race. See you out there. I reckon a prod on your old girl would get the juices flowing.

Cheers

We have the y11 Slippery When Wet here in NSW and my wife and myself have heaps of cruising allways 2 up. I love these boats and if you want to get there fast you have the right boat but in saying that they can be very easily depowered and make a hard slog bearable when someone below is getting over it. We have the standard keel which is great for some of shallower places up north but i must say have been tempted to upgrade to something nicer but while we are consistantly beating B36.7s and the like why bother with all the expense. We allways look at other yachts and come to the conclusion that a Y11 is an outstanding allround boat

Thanks for the input Slippo. I get the feeling I can't go wrong with either boat. Everyone likes them! The 99 is very similar to the 11...

Pretty impressive thread - responses from six current or former owners plus eight others who have crewed* on them at various times, as well as photos of just about every underwater configuration.

* I am perhaps being generous in counting this individual as a crew member although he clearly considers himself to have been there, in some shape or form:

the Intergalactics in the Bay of Islands,

That was a fun event or at least the bits I could remember mostly were.

And the bits I can remember have me lovin every bit of it. Mind you I am a slut and like just about all yachts that sail to windward well. I use to Y11 often and would happily have one.

There are a few classes around Akl that almost everyone has sailed on at some stage in their life. Y11's, 88's, 930', 1020's just to name a few of the main contenders.

Stewart's for sure, silly me for forgetting them.

Only done a 5.9 once. Was OK but I preferred the faster H20 myself.

Pretty impressive thread - responses from six current or former owners plus eight others who have crewed* on them at various times, as well as photos of just about every underwater configuration.

Yeah You're right Murkey.

For someone who hasn't done much sailing on them the info here is just gold.

For me, it's a real big financial committment, and if, after a year you've found you got it wrong big time, it's not so easy to just flick it on, and bail. So yes I am asking a lot of questions, and I'm really grateful to everyone who has contributed!

Great site! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

time to stir it up a bit......

Y11's are definately slower....i mean we beat peppermint planet all the time....!!

but having said that we also beat the 2 y99's around the north island 2 handed last time....(ducks for cover...

and yes we are currently sifering off the family budget to get out and do it again next year....

which includes another new rudder and some other new goodies....

time to stir it up a bit......

Y11's are definately slower....i mean we beat peppermint planet all the time....!!

but having said that we also beat the 2 y99's around the north island 2 handed last time....(ducks for cover...

and yes we are currently sifering off the family budget to get out and do it again next year....

which includes another new rudder and some other new goodies....

What's the boat? (Forgive ignorance..)

Archived