Young 99 vrs Young 11

smithy09

Hey Smithy the Y11 or Y99 are awesome boats. You can't make a mistake in choosing between them. There's never enough good ones for sale though. A friend of mine owns Road Runner, a Y11. It's got the Wellie keel on it. Nice boat inside and out. Well behaved, and no real nasty habits. When really pushed (and I mean PUSHED) downwind they can bury their snout a bit, but the same could be said of many yachts. We did the Coastal in it a few years ago and my outstanding memory was doing 17 odd knots past Cape Rodney with just a fractional kite up. It wasn't even white knuckle stuff, just - niiiiiiiice. The photo below was taken before then - we were just idling along at around 12 knots, note how causally he has his hand draped over the pushpit.

The owner raced it short handed regularly. Both 2 handed and single handed. I can remember a single handed race where we'd put our kites up at the start and a huge squall came up behind us. I remember looking at my speedo and I was doing around 12 knots and then I looked across at RR and he was absolutely flying! I think he was doing 15 knots or thereabouts. Totally under control, just smokin' along!

So yes, they're easy boats to sail, good interior space for a boat of that sort of performance. If you compare it to say a Davidson 35, which is clearly a cruiser and much lower performing, the interior space is almost identical. So you'll get performance and good cruising out of a Y11 or a 99. Enjoy...

Ssssmokin.jpg

time to stir it up a bit......

Y11's are definately slower....i mean we beat peppermint planet all the time....!!

but having said that we also beat the 2 y99's around the north island 2 handed last time....(ducks for cover...

Oh dear, I confess Oracle either you or my database appear to be getting just a tiny bit on the senile and forgetful side?

I couldn't help but notice the database has records which would seem to indicate 82 matches between you and Peppermint Planet, well 82 where you both finished and it seems to think you only won 17 of them for a success rate of 20.32%?

And Oracle's (Nelson 32) success rate vs. some of the more common classes :

Young 11 18.44%

Young 99 33.33%

Young 9.4 1.82%

Young 8.4 30.14%

Young 88 47.84%

Ross 930(m) 15.54%

Ross 930 48.05%

Ross 35 18.60%

Ross 850 21.88%

Ross 780 45.83%

Farr 1020 29.61%

Not that I'd stir you up at all Oracle, that's just not me at all.

As for mentioning the last RNI, me, I just haven't the heart to point out that Not Negotiable beat you four legs in four and under no circumstance would I mention Non Stop's elapsed time of 10 07:00:59, Not Negotiable's of 10 08:49:16 and Oracle's at 10 13:31:57, that would be just kicking a bloke when he's down. Not quite sure here Oracle if you were ducking for cover, taking a dive or scoring an own goal?

One of those new goodies isn't a Y11 or 99 by any chance? You know what they say, if you can't beat em ...

I thought Booboo's smackdown on One Extreme was unlikely to be surpassed this year but for a text-only effort...it is a brave man who crosses you. Sir.

The solar panel featuring prominently in AA's photo of the Young 11 made me think that a good caption would be: "Charging up the coast".

Alas, I have no database and can only do my best with lukewarm humour.

I thought Booboo's smackdown on One Extreme was unlikely to be surpassed this year but for a text-only effort...it is a brave man who crosses you. Sir.

The solar panel featuring prominently in AA's photo of the Young 11 made me think that a good caption would be: "Charging up the coast".

Alas, I have no database and can only do my best with lukewarm humour.

ROFL- Class act...and one Boo boo may struggle to top...."Slam dunk" springs to mind!

Hey Smithy the Y11 or Y99 are awesome boats. You can't make a mistake in choosing between them. ...

Thanks AA. Looks like I can't go wrong. Just have to hand over the cash.......

Smithy, if you can afford it you may wish to go up another level in turns of class - Ross 40's!

See this link:http://www.boatstobuy.com.au/sail_boat/ross_40_sloop.7819.php

This is not quite what I had in mind and nothing like the NZ boats if there are any for sale? Not sure what this one was, the old Balastar I suspect??

Anyway this thread has been a lot of fun and I though I would just stir the pot a little, now watch them bite :lol:

A nice boat to deck level, ruint above that point to my eye. Those square windows even taint the interior.

with its retractable keel to a 3ft draft, she can go places other yachties darent. Great to have the security IF you run aground, you can always get off.
:wtf:

But in general a Ross 40 would get my vote too and "class" is a good word.

not what you'd call a cruising friendly cockpit is it !

looks like a collection of fish bins, but daresay it works, or was thought to work, for short handed passage making?

Looks to have 2 winches for the traveller and another 2 for the mainsheet, I guess the helmsman takes care of those while the other crew member looks after the 5 on the coachroof. :crazy:

Awesome for shorthanded passagemaking, NOT!! :lol:

Floatsome;

Ever since I had a good long steer of Urban Cowboy during a coastal with the masthead kite up (They had to pry my hands off the tiller) I have loved Ross 40s. Comparing that to sailing my Dad's Old Lotus 1280 is what has pushed me in the direction of 99s/11s. I had a real good look at Jesse James when she sold recently and I have been on board Marshall Law (immaculate!). They are my all time favourite NZ boat. Points against them?

1. Purchase Price.

2. Running Backstays.

3. Running costs.

They are just a little bit out of my league, but when you consider that a scruffy Jesse James went for around $150K with a lot of nice kit and sails on board, you have got to say that they offer pretty good value for money, especially with a modded keel as I hear the original design were a bit tippy.... Pics of Jesse James below. Unfortunately I was offshore when she sold, and there were buyers lining up (according to the broker anyway)..

Ross40-2.jpg

Ross40-1.jpg

Ross40-3.jpg

The perosn that bought Pangea "Jesse James" used to own Witchy Woman...

Really? It's a small world! I heard that it went to some French guy who wanted it for the Melbourne-Osaka race??

Kiwi guy for M-O - yes

Got it. Where is it now do you know?

Shame, I would have tried to have financed that one.. Needed time though, and it was "show us your money" which I couldn't do.

Archived