2012 8.5 Nationals

Hurts

She definitely looks great Sam, and for the first time out (relatively) you got pretty good results.

Be interesting to see a competative tri mixing with the cats on a regular basis. Looking forward to it.

JohnMi,

Using race track as a basis for handicaps has its problems.

1. The whole history of a boat is used and averaged, when it may have had 4 owners of differing abilities, three new hulls and 2 different masts.

2. It has no adjustments for improved configurations such as new sails, recently changed crews or improved appendages.

The current system looks at the recent racing history only, to take account of all the above, and IMHO, gives a more accurate starting point.

Cheers

Greg

Just had a call from the squadron who says the results on the BMW site are now correct and will be on the RNZYS site shortly...

Congratulations to Borderline for some awesome sailing–the double –I’ve got a $150 voucher I’ve been keeping warm for you!

Division N 8.5 multi, 12 entries

7622 Andrew Potter BORDERLINE 3 3 2= 3 (4) 3 2 4 1 21.5 1

7472 Tim McDowell WHIO 2 (6) 2= 6 3 1 1 2 6 23.5 2

7621 Greer Houston DIRTY DEEDS 7 7 (9) 4 5 4 4 1 2 34 3

7241 Ken Ormandy VOOM 6 1 1 (10) 8 6 3 7 5 37 4

7640 Ryan Taylor CREEPY CRAWLER 5 2 8 1 1 (dns) dnc 8 3 41 5

7574 Clive Wright TIGRE 1 5 6 8 6 5 6 9 (dnf) 46 6

7593 Chris Maddock ATTITUDE 4 (raf) 10 2 2 2 8 dnc dnc 54 7

7475 Ellen Bird HOOTERS 9 10 11 7 9 (dnc) 7 6 4 63 8

7892 Stephen Bull FREEDOM (dnc) dnc dnc 5 7 7 5 3 dnc 66 9

7654 Sam Tucker STEALTH MISSION 8 9 5 9 10 (raf) dnc 5 7 66 10

7820 Eamon McRobbie CUBIC 10 4 4 (dnc) dnc dnc dns dns dnc 83 11

7153 Andrew Barney CAPRICORN 11 8 7 11 11 (dns) 9 dns dnc 83 12

Thanks Tim

Amazing that both handicap and line came down to just 2 points.

We had a great regatta and i'm stoked with the results. I really have to thank my crew who are both amazing sailors, Matthew(Chop) hadn't even stepped on the boat until the wed before the regatta, yet just fitted in like he had been sailing her forever. and Kev just had a blinder really.

Thanks Bex for being the best chase boat driver ever and for the really subtle hats. I know you would have prefered to be sailing but you did a awesome job on the weekend.

And thanks to the 8.5 commitee you guys put in an amazing effort to keep this class running and growing it is some of the best racing you will ever do.

Also thanks to the boys at becon sails and pic insurance for there sponsorship of the class I hope the Hooters guys enjoy there new beacon sail as much as us, without that new gennaker we would not have won the regatter.

Hi Greg

Why not then take the last 5 races, average them, and use that.

If any major changes such as new owner, masts etc, make manual changes, otherwise let it take it's course.

The most important thing is to have the methodology open and understood - otherwise it's always going to feed the conspiracy theorists, of which there are a few. With racetrack you can see the history and kind of get a feel for how it derives it's number. I'm sure mark can explain the methodology too.

I think the clubs could save themselves a lot of grief by just using Racetrack - maybe put it to the vote for the 8.5's next time the association gets together and go from there and at least get it used for the nationals. In the case of stealth Mission (new boat, no history) - you could just say that if they haven't done 10 races then the old system using the chicken entrails and tea leaves would apply instead.

The problem in using racetrack for something like the nationals is that it rates your crew work along with your boats potential for speed. Its one of the reasons who certain boats will allways clean up in the crew.org rum race as the boats that dont sail with extras get a huge handicap.

The problem in using racetrack for something like the nationals is that it rates your crew work along with your boats potential for speed. Its one of the reasons who certain boats will allways clean up in the crew.org rum race as the boats that dont sail with extras get a huge handicap.

Sorry - you mean boats that sail in open fleets without extras? I guess that may be an issue but at least it would be understood and everyone would look in askance at the boat that's rorting the system, rather than harassing some poor volunteer handicapper (who can't win regardless of how hard they try and how good a job they do).

The Squaddy system itself is potentially awesome it just requires that the correct starting handicaps are used in a series.

The biggest inconsistency in the BMW handicaps for the 8.5's is Tigre who was put at 1.201 whereas last Wednesday sqaddy race they were 1.1114. That is a difference of nearly 9% !

Very unfair on Clive and his team.

In the Open TVS was put on 1.726 wheras had been 1.927 in their last Wednesday race. That's a difference of nearly 20% !

Racetrack for all its good points is easily manipulated in my opinion

No one has said anything about it, what caused the Tigre capsize? On a start line??

Timb

Tigre didn't go over on the start line she went over at the botoom gate, quite different.

Hi Greg

Why not then take the last 5 races, average them, and use that.

If any major changes such as new owner, masts etc, make manual changes, otherwise let it take it's course.

John - that is exactly what we do. Take the last 5 races and average them. Race track takes every race and averages them.

And if any major changes we manually adjust. Interesting that last years BMW for the 8.5's had 4 declarations of improved equipment and this year there were none. I'm sure some must have upgraded sails.

Greg

Why then was Tigre put so incredibly high and Whio so ridiculously low, then?

John

John - I can't answer that as the BMW regatta is one I'm not involved with.

Yes for sure it should.

But I would have thought Cris Brodie has been sailing Tigre all season and so the Sqaddy hcap should already reflect that ?

Is a different skipper a fact that should influence the handicap?

Hang on what do you mean a different skipper?

I am the skipper/owner/bill payer and always will be.... On Tigre I like to swap helm when tacking/gybing.

The person who goes down to leeward before the tack sets up and becomes the new helm. Have always done this when I am confident in the No2. Matty and I did it last year as have Cris and I all season.

Seems to make sense and is good for fast tacks.

I also get to play around with the boat more.

same on whio

It's one of the great things about sailing the multis with small crews - there is a constant revolve thoughout a race of people on helm/foredeck/trim who ever is closest sees the need first and keeps people fresh and into it. The grinding and dropping on those 6minute legs of the sunday meant the grinder/trimmer needed a spell. Only time I feel I have to be on the helm the whole time is when there is a risk of capsize.

Archived