Solo Tasman Review

Island Time

Everyone,

It’s a while since I posted and the finish of this race now, but being a cruiser now I only have intermittent internet.

I said I'd provide my thoughts on doing this race, so here goes.

It was a pity that with over 40 registrations of interest only 13 boats started.

The Tasman gave its usual sort of weather - from close to 50 Knts (gusts only) on a couple of occasions, down to one day (for me - more or less for others) of almost complete calm.

Many of the competitors thought it was a tough crossing. Most boat finished with some damage. Aparori (spell?) 1st mono, with a broken boom, Island Girl (3rd mono) with both intermediate shrouds gone, and me with no kicker and a jury rigged mainsheet that meant no more than a deep reefed main for the last 30 odd hours. Oh yea, and no working kite halyard. Other boats had issues as well.

For anyone interested in some more details, look at my website http://www.paulins.net - click on "current blogg".

The sailing was good fun, with 3 fairly strong southerly’s over the duration. Some skippers elected to go a fair way North, and sail further, but try to avoid the East Ausy current (which was running about 2 Knts). On the morning of the last day there was less than 20 miles separating the first 5 monohulls, (distance to go – only 2 could see each other!) so the racing was close and interesting.

However, as some skippers decided not to, or were not able to make the radio scheds, people on shore knew more about what was happening than most of the competitors. The comms could have been better.

I was pretty happy with my performance, and flew virtually completely under the radar of the committee and the press until the end. I was mostly unmentioned in the press or web reports, and when mentioned I was “to far south” to be competitive. I don’t think they were looking at the forecasts that I was, as I was in that position deliberately. Unfortunately I had a few issues on the last 2 days – did a bit of a broach on a largish wave while under autopilot, and tore the kicker fitting from the mast step. It also holds the fwd block of the mainsheet and my jury rigging of it left a bit to be desired – hence being only able to use the deep reefed main for the last bit. I though more would break the gooseneck (2 of the 3 bolts holding it had also sheared off. Anyway, I finished third over the line, about 6 hours after the first boat. Considering that this, for me, had changed from a serious race to the first leg of my world cruise, and therefore carrying a lot of gear, that was OK.

Both the boats in front were well sailed. Congrats to Trevor and Jenney - well done!

This race only gets off the ground due to the dedication of some New Plymouth Based volunteers. My thanks go to them for a sound effort! There is, however, some room for improvement -for next time. The Comms need to be sorted so everyone knows where the others are. The Container, put on generously by Squire Shipping, for the gear you did not want to carry - we were initally told it would be waiting for us here in Mooloolaba, by the time we got here. Then 10 days later. Now, it seems that it will be here almost a month after the start, and no-one this end had arranged customs clearance etc, or even considered it. It looks like it will cost the 6 boats waiting for gear around $2000 AUS to get a customs agent to sort out the issues... I’m working on that.

Good sailing everyone, I’ll look in on this forum whenever I can. We’ll (my wife Jo has joined me now) be heading off up the coast to Darwin as soon as we get the container sorted. We’re off to do the sail Indonesia rally.

Cheers

Matt

Well done Matt. Sounds like you had some fun and placed very well for a cruiser :)

Good to see everyone make it safely as well, that's always a good thing.

The big question and one that is always rather interesting.

What would you do different next time?

Next time I would not be going cruising. Empty the boat, take a small heavy weather kite, and do some decent research on the East Ausy Current. I lost 30 odd miles in the last 30 hours to the two boats ahead, both of whom are Brisbane locals....

I could have pushed harder - but Trying to preserve the boat for the reat of the trip. The one day of strong headwinds I backed off both heading and sail plan to reduce the slamming to weather....

Matt

Yes the cruising angle would have made it trickier and heavier.

Should have stripped her out, raced and then gone back to work then :lol: :lol:

She's a ripper that current isn't it. It trucks along.

Archived