Singlehanded / Shorthanded Racing - Support for more racing?

Kaihe Atamai

Is there support for more singlehanded racing?

By "support" I mean you'll get the boat out and race...

I would like to convince the Richmond YC racing commitee to support more SH racing (open to all comers) and wanted feedback. The approach is to add races without adding more calendar dates. This has pros (less organisational hassle) and cons (fleet splitting) but I think is the only way forward in the short term.

If anyone has comments on past, existing or planned short/singlehanded race series (I'm new to NZ yachting, apologies) in Auckland please add to the discussion.

Ideas:

- More individual races (categories) as part of established RYC calendar dates

- A series by RYC, possible as part of other series or races (e.g. the destination series)

- A multi-club series (akin to Gold Cup) spaced throughout the year

Let me know what you think ASAP please - discussion starts after the closing day regatta this Sunday.

I personally think there are plenty of options already...

Starting with SSANZ

B&G Simrad Triple Series

Triennial RNI Race

Two Handed Divisions in Coastal Classic, Auck-Tauranga and also White Island Race

BBYC

Single Handed Series

Midweek Two Handed division

Devonport Yacht Club

Single Handed Race

Panmure Yacht Club

Two Handed Three Legged Race

Richmond Yacht Club

3 Handed Division in Winter Series

And there is more if you go looking....

I'd be more in favour of building and supporting existing races compared to adding more choices...

I'd be more in favour of building and supporting existing races compared to adding more choices...

:thumbup: Agree

RNZYS also ran a 2-3 handed series which people wanted yet was not that well supported.

I personally think there are plenty of options already...

Starting with SSANZ

B&G Simrad Triple Series

Triennial RNI Race

Two Handed Divisions in Coastal Classic, Auck-Tauranga and also White Island Race

BBYC

Single Handed Series

Midweek Two Handed division

Devonport Yacht Club

Single Handed Race

Panmure Yacht Club

Two Handed Three Legged Race

Richmond Yacht Club

3 Handed Division in Winter Series

Thanks Cameron - I'd agree that one could bounce around amongst the current series quite happily shorthanded. I see that my post was a bit misleading - Let me clarify that my real interest is in adding singlehanded racing.

From one calendar (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~gensys/ayba/programme.html) for last year:

6/11/2011 - RYC Singlehanded Race

20/11/2011 - BBYC B J Tyres Singlehanded Around Motuihe Island Race

11/2/2011 - BBYC B J Tyres Single Handed Weekend

14/4/2011 - DYC Singlehanded Race

So with just 4(?) events over the year I wonder if there might be demand for more. (And let's eliminate the SH racing that goes on in crewed divisions - eh crocodile?)

For example, RYC runs a destination series - 6 or 7 races on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings from Westhaven to the local islands and Harbours (Motuihe, Kawau, Mahurangi, Bottom End, Rakino, etc). Many of the smaller boats do not participate due to the difficulty in getting crew on the weekends for cruising races and/or convincing family to race. Hence an opportunity exists to solve the crew problem (SH of course) and if family is a consideration then means to get them to the finish line could be put in place (passengers or crew on other boats, ferries, car trips).

Or leave the race schedule alone but set up a series to encourage cross-fertilisation of racers between clubs?

Incidentally, I'm curious as to why SSANZ does not put on a singlehanded race, why is this?

Members of the SSANZ committee are seriously looking at this with a longer event being considered

Say 60 to 80 nm

but who will do it ?

It need plenty of support or else it will just rob from other events!

IMHO the biggest problem in Auckland is too much choice, splitting fleets.

Members of the SSANZ committee are seriously looking at this with a longer event being considered

Say 60 to 80 nm

but who will do it ?

It need plenty of support or else it will just rob from other events!

IMHO the biggest problem in Auckland is too much choice, splitting fleets.

I'd do it.

If the safety requirements were kept sub-Cat 3 then perhaps more small boats would be eligible? I seem to remember a thread on this earlier...

The above proposal for the destination series would be for races in the 15-30nm range, so not a harbour buoy rounding exercise, but far below 60nm.

SSANZ has run single handed races in the past and as Danaide mentions is considering again in the future...

However my personal opinion (and NOT that of SSANZ) is that I have some issues with the safety aspects of singlehanded sailing of any distance around our coast. Essentially to get my support I'd need to be convinced that the whole fleet would comfortably finish the race within the limits of each skippers endurance without sleep. New Zealand weather changes rapidly and there are plenty of things to bump into so I think a continous "watch" is necessary. On this logic I think 60 miles is ample but would prefer something shorter. I've done numerous singlehanded races in the past and loved them... but I'm also very aware of the risks.

Secondly SSANZ is run by a small group of volunteers. Rather than try and do too much, my preference is to do less events but do them well... Having said that, just like the RNZ race, support is growing for a SSANZ event of this type...

Remember Weiti run two SH races as part of their calendar as well. I agree with Cameron in that when you're on your own with extras a certain amount of sea room is required if things go pear shaped, as they do. The big question would be around interest. Bucks had a smaller SH fleet this year with only two boats in the extras division. The DYC fleet was well down as well (7). I love the SH racing and feel that it's a shame that the current races, there are seven that I'm aware of, can't be grouped as a seasonal series, with perhaps one discard. Trouble would be with the organisation and handicapping.No reason it could not be coordinated through SSANZ, or another club for that matter. Haven't thought about how the entries and prizes etc would be managed though.

RNZYS also ran a 2-3 handed series which people wanted yet was not that well supported.

Great the first year when it was 3 races but the success lead to 5 races this year. It was too many to commit to.

If you're a keen two handed team then I believe there is plenty of opportunity to race amongst clubs plus there is the Simrad Series, Coastal Classic, Auckland to Tauranga, White Island and Round North Island for those wanting a bit more of a challenge. It's the single handed races that are a bit harder to find.

for class short handed racing, the 88's have the Bruce Elliott Memorial single handed champs on 20th may & then the two handed champs on 16th June. They will be run on the water by RAYC - Keep an eye out on the class website for NOR & sponsor announcements. Then we roll into supporting the SSANZ triple, July, August, Sept ... something every month in winter is the plan, so if you don't own one, beg, borrow or buy & join the fun.

Have discussed with the RYC race committee and I expect that that RYC will be adding singlehanded racing (in some form) as part of the destination series - two or three more events perhaps.

I'll update when I can get the details worked out.

More solo would be nice. A big solo would be real nice. Co-ordinated solos into a series, even if over a few clubs, would be fantastic.

More solo would be nice. A big solo would be real nice. Co-ordinated solos into a series, even if over a few clubs, would be fantastic.

Eazy sailing solo with self tacking jibs :lol:

If a number of races amongst a range of clubs were to be grouped as a series how many do you reckon, over a summer, would be needed? Would it be better to have a number with competors having to complete at least..... how far spread could clubs be. ie.Weiti have two really good single handed races but is that too far for some? The series could complete with an iconic SH race which would form part of the OA points.

Re: shorthanded series - I would think a race per club (across the AKL area) would be ideal although there are currently only 3 clubs that I am aware of in the AKL area running singlehanded racing open to all comers (RYC, Weiti, DYC). BBYC has a series of two races (one is a "weekend") - but it was not clear if they are open to all - anyone know? There are other races but that are associated with a class.

I'd propose that if a club ran more than one race it would be added up to a reasonable series amount - say 5-10 races total over the season - this would be the case with Weiti (x2), or as RYC adds races (3 more proposed currently).

It sounds like skippers (and the RYC race committee) are keen to pursue a series option.

RYC is currently working through a discussion about safety issues around adding singlehanded races (up to three) to the destination series so watch this space...

Are you implying I do not have any friends :shock: or shout at people too much :evil: ? Probably right! I think the way to go in the first season is to link up the races into a series.

Friendless cussers are always welcome at singlehanded races :D

The Bucklands Beach Gulf Alone is a three race series. One race in November and an away weekend in February (2 races). They welcome entries from everyone.

Archived