Singlehanded / Shorthanded Racing - Support for more racing?

Kaihe Atamai

The count would be; BBYC 3, WBC 2, DYC 1, RYC 4 and one special, and a lttle more challenging - could carry double points or something like that. Maybe SSANZ might help?

Yes good fun once a year. Pine Harbour to Gulf Harbour. Couple of beers and a BBQ then race home. Yes, all welcome. We always get sneaky Norm on Lantau from Bucks.

For 2011 - 12 season a calendar would have looked like this.

5&6 Nov PHCC start to Gulf Harbour (Sat & Sun)

20 Nov BBYC Around Motuihe

22 Jan WBC Gulf Race

11 & 12 Feb BBYC Waiheke away race.

19 Feb WBC Gulf Course

14 April DYC Around Rangi, Motutapu and Motuihe

Just need RYC to get one in Dec and another in March and SSANZ to do a bit bigger one and we'd have a full calendar.

For 2011 - 12 season a calendar would have looked like this.

22 Jan WBC Gulf Race

19 Feb WBC Gulf Course

Just need RYC to get one in Dec and another in March and SSANZ to do a bit bigger one and we'd have a full calendar.

Added the existing RYC race... would have been a conflict with PHCC in 2011-12...

6 Nov RYC Singlehanded Race (Harbour course)

22 Jan WBC Gulf Race

19 Feb WBC Gulf Course

And for interest, the RYC Proposed Races (schedule from last year, 2011-12):

3 Dec - Sir Peter Blake Memorial Race (Westhaven to Motuihe, e.g.)

27 Jan - Mahurangi (Westhaven to Mahurangi - night race)

17 Feb - Waiheke (Westhaven to Orapiu wharf - night race)

Given the large number of races turning up perhaps RYC can just add two to fill the "monthly" gaps - Dec and March) This would mean the two destination races to Motuihe (or similar length, depends on weather) rather than the longer races to Mahurangi or Waiheke. There is a destination race in March that could be used also - this year we changed the final (March) destination to a Mark Foy start and that's on the cards for next year so it might make for an exciting end to the series! Hmmm.

what about a singlehanded division in the akl whangarei race?...

The RYC Route 66 (Auckland - Whangarei) race has a two-handed division but so far as I am aware no current plan to add a singlehanded division. Given the safety concerns for short (25 nm) night races raised by the race committee it would be unlikely that RYC would add a division for singles without testing the waters with shorter races first.

A longer singlehanded race (~60 miles) is apparently being discussed at SSANZ (see earlier post), and as Cameron pointed out hosting singlehanded racing at that level raises safety concerns that a simple "skipper has ultimate responsibility" disclaimer is not likely to write off.

Two items come to mind here: 1. What additional safety concerns should be addressed by an organisation for longer (coastal) singlehanded racing?, and 2. How do the French manage to organise so much high level singlehanded racing?

One way around this would be to asked each contestant to detail their personal safety plan and to list the equipment associated with that that they intend to carry then an organising committee could add any requirements that they think should be mandatory.eg flotation vests and harnesses or whatever.

I suggest that no one is going to endorse such a race.

So the best thing is to just do it.

Here's the plan

24th November (unless anyone's got any proper opposition to it.) Start 10.00AM

Will be started on the water, and the finish time will be texted through to 021993863.

Start and finish line between Orakei Bouy and end of Pier.

Entry cost $50, winner take's all (or whatever value is mostly agreed upon).

Entry expiration 8.00PM 20th November

Handicap worked out on last 5 races on Racetrack, If less than 3 racetrack races no entry.

Course: Orakei start, Rangitoto port, Rakino starboard, Motuihe port, Waheke Port,

Pakatoa Starboard, Rotoroa Port, Ponui Starboard, Orakei Finish.

All entrants to be Coastguard Members

All entrants to have PLB's with GPS

No Restrictions on sails

No Cancellation, that is everyone that enters is responsible for starting. If no one starts, the money is returned.

Their is no organising committee. It is organised, and I have pencilled in the date. Come beat me if you can.

JohnMi: Well, that's one more race to look forward to :).

Series option being pursued - so far RYC, DYC, BBYC in process of getting the race committees together - who knows someone on the race committee from Weiti? We need to act fast to work out details of a series before the schedules are set and handbooks are sent to the printers.

OK things are going to get moving now - I've got back advice on safety requirements for singlehanded racing from YNZ and will put together a proposal to send to the clubs to participate in a series for next year.

If you would like to discuss with me informally I'll be at RYC from 6PM+ this Friday - the SSANZ "reflections" evening starts at 6:30 (dinner, please RSVP to RYC office) with talks from the participants in the round NZ race starting at 7:30 - more information on the RYC FB site (or SSANZ of course):

http://www.facebook.com/RichmondYachtClub

Maybe we could add a single handed division to this years Simrad. Do the small Boat Course race 3, short haul 1 and 2. I'd be up for that.

I've got back advice on safety requirements for singlehanded racing from YNZ

Why does that sentence send a chill down my spine?

I like your thinking Jono.

I've got back advice on safety requirements for singlehanded racing from YNZ

Why does that sentence send a chill down my spine?

It was good news - and cleared the way to proceed.

It's not as if I'm proposing to send a Ross boat to Oz - :shock:

Archived