A.sail design

Hello all,

What is the way to find out the luff length of an Assay. spinnaker. I am looking at getting one but confused at what to order. Prod to mast 3.5Mts.

halyard height 9.5Mts

Peter

The luff length could be anywhere between 3 and 10% longer than the pin to pin prod end to halyard measurement depending on the design of the sail. Sheeting angle is also very important.

The sailmaker should be able to tell you what you need. If not then go to another sailmaker...

Agree with matty, it must not be a very long prod.

Prod is about 1Mt. long.

I don't think I am to far out in the length but can't check now as the boat is not here. It is a modified Sonata 8 keelboat. Kite is for short handed convenience.

BooBoo,

What exactly would you ask for when ordering?

I want a general purpose type sail.

The sailmakers here don't seem to want anything other than the base diamensions.

Nobody gives details of the sail they are quoating on, only the price which varies greatly,making me wonder if they pricing the same item.

Makes it hard to compare products.

Thanks,

Peter

Prod is about 1Mt. long.

I don't think I am to far out in the length but can't check now as the boat is not here. It is a modified Sonata 8 keelboat. Kite is for short handed convenience.

BooBoo,

What exactly would you ask for when ordering?

I want a general purpose type sail.

The sailmakers here don't seem to want anything other than the base diamensions.

Nobody gives details of the sail they are quoating on, only the price which varies greatly,making me wonder if they pricing the same item.

Makes it hard to compare products.

Thanks,

Peter

Why not give them specific measurements so you can compare apples with apples and this will then give you a sq metre price to base your decision :thumbup:

ie Luff: 9700 Leech: 7900 Foot: 6300 Mid Girth 90% of foot

Archived