Boat licencing surfaces again.

wheels

Aftert the death of a 17yr old from being run over by a jet ski, the Coroner is trying to push for boat liciencing. I agree with one recomendation, the wearing a lifejacket, but I thought that was required by law anyway. But none of the other recommendations have anything to do with the teens death. And what exactly is going to be place under the heading of "Maritime Product". Does he mean you will have to have a Licience to use a wakeboard of lilo??

All powered recreational vessels or maritime products be registered and issued with an identification number. It must be highly visible.

- All operators of powered recreational vessels or maritime products be required to hold a licence before operating the vessel or maritime product.

- All candidates for licences be required to know the basic safe boating rules and their legal responsibilities.

- The laws relating to maritime activity should be reformed to incorporate the above recommendations, and in addition, provide for a graduated form of penalty similar to the land transport legislation.

- That consideration be given to the introduction of an 0800 number, like 0800 Crime Stoppers, to make it easier for people to report hoonish behaviour on the water.

- That consideration be given to requiring all operators and passengers on jet skis to wear life jackets and helmets at all times.

These dudes were breaking plenty of current rules. Adding more rules will not make any difference.

They were also totally lacking in common sense. Adding more rules will not change that.

These dudes were breaking plenty of current rules. Adding more rules will not make any difference.

They were also totally lacking in common sense. Adding more rules will not change that.

Agreed.

Microchipping dogs has done nothing to stop dogs biting people (why would it?) .... just as licencing drivers has done nothing to stop road deaths. Why should boating be magically safer because people have to pay money for little bits of paper just because a jumped up doctor of medicine decides that it should happen?

I agree. And the Coroner has been complaining that no one listens to him and makes any changes. My view is that the Coroner is not experienced enough in anything to be making recomendations that would then become law. And I don't believe that is the role of a Coroner anyway.The Coroner should be about finding our what went wrong to cause a death only IMO.

Agreed it is hard to enforce rules and I don't support blanket requirements for powered craft, but with respect to jet skiers something needs to be done.

It's 'nice' to watch teenagers doing donuts 10 metres from Orakei launching ramp between moored boats and over 20 knots heading out alongside the marina breakwater.

I would support jet skiers being required to have the equivalent of motorcycle licenses, there being an 0800 'dob-in' number and lifejacets and helmets being a requirement.

They are a particular problem and they need a specific response.

I thought PWC had to be registered anyway?

The 0800 HOONBUSTER phone number might make sense. For it to work, the PWCs would have to be registered anyway, and there would have to be a bit more policing.

Actually, a little more on the water policing could make a huge difference. Some well publicized cases, a few hefty fines etc.

licensing and registration in general will not help. What will help are a few heads being banged together.

And there in lies the problem and answer, at least as I reckon the officials would see it. If you have an 0800dob'em'in, then you have to have a call centre, people manning the phones and that costs. If you want to police the water more, you need the "police" out there on the water which means boats to take them out there and then all the associated costs of operation. But there is no money, so registration and licencing is what would pay for it. Oh yeah, add in an organisation to licence, people to train, people to test you and so on. IMO...In reality, it is all going to be far to hard to implement and so the result therefore will be money gathering with no real on the water improvements.

Which is what MNZ have decided every time they looked into it.

But the sensible people who used to be there are moving on and being replaced by petty bureaucrats and bean counters, which is very scary.

Which is what MNZ have decided every time they looked into it.

But the sensible people who used to be there are moving on and being replaced by petty bureaucrats and bean counters, which is very scary.

Not entirely squid, still a few there, including one that cruises around here occasionally.

This is the reason that corners recommendations are only recommendations. If they were already mandatory we would already have licensing and compulsory epirbs on all boats, red flags on all ski boats and something about crash helmets I think.

Saying that, they can provide a different view on some incidents and a starting point for disscussion.

As has been said, these guys were already breaking enough existing rules.

As for an 0800 number, there will be a phone number that will get hold of someone that understands the problem in pretty much all the major boating areas around the country.

Well, one way to help pay for policing is through the fuel tax people pay on their outboard and PWC petrol.

Seems fair that in general the more fuel you burn the faster you are going and the more you need policing...no?

Doesn't some of it go to YNZ at the moment?

But there must be quite a bit of it which is gobbled up by the central coffers.

I don't think you are required to wear lifejackets while on board, however you are required to have enough for everyone on board.

Education is the key, however just like in school there will always be those who simply don't want to learn.

No Gvt is ever going to "syphon" a bit of an already existing tax and feed it to another funding tank. They will simply create yet another revenue stream.

Saying that, they can provide a different view on some incidents and a starting point for disscussion.

Which IMO is as far as the Coroners powers should go. But he is currently trying hard to have his decissions become law.

I don't think you are required to wear lifejackets while on board, however you are required to have enough for everyone on board.

Arrrr, right.

I am surprised seaflea riders would ever consider riding those things without lifejackets. Even neck brace and helmet is not a silly idea, but I can imagine that being uncomfortable. But if any of you have hit water at 80mph (which I have), you don't just splash into the water. It was like hitting concrete without the gravel rash. It riped my arm over my back tearing the shoulder cap and dislocating the arm. If it was not for the bouncy gear I was wearing that brought my head up out of the water, I would have drowned because the pain was blinding and paralyzing. I was 20 when it happened and 30yrs later, I still do not have full use of my arm and suffer from a lot of nerve damage in it.

and some thoughts from someone directly involved with this

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Publicati ... e-24-3.asp

"......The forum also routinely reviews the issue of licensing and registration of recreational boaties and boats. While on the face of it, the argument for licensing in particular appears attractive, the solution to actually reducing accidents and fatalities is far more simple. For example, if more people followed a few basic seamanship principles, such as wearing lifejackets and keeping a good lookout, we'd probably halve the number of recreational fatalities almost straight away.

It is against this background that the members of the forum are always looking for ways to work together better, to be more efficient and to spend the limited funding we have more effectively.

Through a mix of education, legislation and targeted enforcement, we're making gains in a number of areas, with forum member organisations committed to helping reduce recreational boating accidents and fatalities......."

just because a jumped up doctor of medicine decides that it should happen?

Heh… this is not America. Most of our Coroners are legal people.

I think that education is the way to go. At present anybody can buy a PWC and take it out and hoon around without knowing the rules. Making it a condition of ownership would put the onus on the sellers to ensure the guys get educated, eg "Read this little book and come back tomorrow and we'll test you. If you pass you can have your boat". Simple.

Archived