Yachts in Fiji race then heading to Vanuatu can still help

ATTENTION YACHTS SAILING TO VANUATU VIA THE FIJI YACHT RACE PLEASE READ ON

HELP NEEDED TO TRANSPORT EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL TO VANUATU AS PART OF AID ‘PROJECT VEO’

Going to Vanuatu and want to help the local people?

Can't take a box of educational material 30cm x 33cm x 40cm due to weight restrictions in the race ?

Please contact me TODAY as I have other yachts heading to Fiji, which could take the box that far and then pass it on to you to take to Vanuatu!

PROJECT VEO background:

My name is Rowena Baines, and I am based in Auckland. I spent a year sailing around the Pacific Islands and felt a great connection with the people of Vanuatu. When I was there, I took some supplies, as do most cruisers, (paper pads and pencils) to a school at Port Resolution on the island of Tanna, and saw how little the teachers have to work with there.

Not only are they lacking in stationary supplies but they don't have resources to teach from and have not always received sufficient training.

As the islands of Vanuatu are spread out so far from Port Villa and difficult to get to, I have decided to use my connections with cruising yachts to make this mission happen. I realize that you will not be running to a very tight schedule, and that the places you intend on going, may not be the place you end up, as I understand the lifestyle. I also know that there are certain safe anchorages you will more than likely go to, limiting the extent of this mission via yachts, however, I will ask many of you to deliver a box to Port Villa, where I will have other contacts waiting to deliver it further, to where it is most in need.

I have been in contact with English Language schools throughout Auckland and have managed to obtain so far 1500 editions of English teaching/learning text books and working on additional stationary over the next couple of weeks to be packaged up in boxes.

This is where you come in.....

I am looking for cruising yachts, which would be able to take a box or two up to the islands and deliver them to the schools in question. The boxes will be delivered to you unsealed, so that you can check the contents and feel at ease.

From experience this is a really great way for you to make contact with the local tribes and as a result, are always welcomed into their villages. Of course, nothing should be accepted in return for these donations, and they should not be used to barter for local produce, as they are donations.

It's a really nice and easy way to help out the beautiful people of Vanuatu (and/or Papua New Guinea if anyone is going there), whilst you enjoy the adventures to be had. I understand that you possibly do not have much room on your yachts, so would only request that you take one box, unless you have space for more.

Boxes can be delivered to Opua or Whangarei as well as around Auckland.

Please contact me as soon as possible, so that I can send you an informative email and get details off you.

Hoping you will join in and looking forward to hearing from you,

Rowena Baines, PROJECT VEO

Email: rowenabaines@gmail.com Phone: 021 274 6688 Auckland, New Zealand

Archived