Dynex Dux

Battleship

Ello ello.. No I don't use Dux. I prefer other versions of that sort of SK75's which are more consistent and often cheaper like Ocean 12 HS or been using a bit of DF78 lately (which is a SK78). Dux is most prominent due to better marketing than better performance. Dynex and Dynex Dux seem to be the 'fad' default at the moment. There are a lot of other ropes just the same made by other people, Dynex and Dux are far from unique. It's knot bad but I just think there is better.

It'll quickly lose about 10% of it's max load from UV then the degrading will slow dramatically as long as you don't knock the outside off it. It gets a, for lack of better word, oxidised layer on the outside after the UV has got at it but that layer then becomes almost a sunscreen which saves the rest of it.

Standing rigging?? If you have lots of coin, don't mind tweaking the stretching out reasonably often and don't mind carrying extra windage aloft, yes why knot. It does have upsides as well like lower weight aloft and a few things.

There are a few boats around NZ using it and it seems to be doing OK but all (the rigging) is reasonably new so a bit of a time will tell thing going on. Also all or at least most of the boats using it are racers sailed by people who know what they are looking at and how to play with it better than most boaters.

Yes there are some real flash boats using fibre type rigging but that stuff they are using isn't off-the-shelf Dynex or similar and is replaced often.

I'm still to be convinced that for the average Joe Blow fibre better than wire currently. I'm very sure wire is on the out and the fibre on the way in but there still needs to be a bit more work done before fibre is 100% the better option. I'm also knot sure but trying to suss whether the lower weight is knot being negated by the large increase in drag, a lot of these ropes aren't wire type smooth so will have big drag.

At least one of the people using said Dynex probably won't agree with me and he isn't a un-informed dork (or at least any more or less than most of us 99% of the time) but that does show how there is still more work to be done before a reasonable consensus of people agree it is good or bad.

That's me thinking......... and it hurt :)

You adjust the backstay in anyway?

Any ariel involved?

Leaning towards fibre but need to consider the creep. Vectran probably, knot so creepy as Dynex, Dux and the other SK75's. Real tight pic cover to minimise size (windage) and give nice abrasion/UV protection.

So what would you recommend for a standing backstay on our dinosaur KM. Stick with wire or something else?

Its a shame the post with all the discussion about Dynex that Squid started hasn't been requoted.

We use Dynex on Sidestays, runners, Topmast Backstays, Bobstay, and Prod Sidestays.

It is bloody fantastic.

We are dealing with wide stay angles in the applications we use and we can handle a small 1-1.5% of possible stretch.

We pre stretch it before we use it.

There aren't many leaners that would get away with it on a topmast backstay, as a small amount of stretch on a narrow stay angle would be a bad thing.

That's a wild assumption Murky.......... but a good one :)

What I've been saying is just what Wolf has, that being 'horses for courses'.

Been trying to suss just which Dino is Willows actually. Couldn't remember hence the questions :oops:

One of KM biggest problems w Dynex was to do with some very extravagant claims about its Break strength.

I have since done some testing on Dynex and Oceans 75.

If you knew what I did you would never use Oceans 75, ask the This Way up guys about their prod !

Although it breaks at a high load it stretches like buggery on the way. Prestrectching it achieves precisely nothing.

Once Dynex is pre stretched properly, it doesn't really stretch much until it reaches the load at which it was prestretched.

The break loads of Dynex, while incredible, on 4 5 and 6 mm are all accurate.

The stretch figure of 6% at break is very hard to measure, but it is believable.

This is the article that got me thinking http://www.precourt.ca/images/pdf/article_chris_kinzel.pdf

But still probably more suited to multis like you said.

I would have thought that prestretching while obviously not making the rope stronger will make it better suited to standing rigging.

I found some guys in the states putting the stuff on leaners but cruisers with pretty stumpy rigs (can't find the link at the moment).

KM its a cav 36 so has some big loads on the backstay under kite (it creaks) has hydraulic tensioner.The stay is due for replacement soon and liked the idea of taking 30 kg out of the rig, but like you said probably better to stick with wire for now.

Ring Bart at NZ Rigging and get a quote on a PBO backstay.

He did me a very good deal on my PBO diamonds.

Definitely dearer than Wire or Dyform, but also a heck of a lot lighter.

No way on a Cav36 with a hydraulic backstay can you use Dynex.

Yeap agree. There are some other good options but I don't see any being easier or much cheaper than the Bart one.

Your Dino (I do like your terminology) would make Dynex and the other 75's look a bit shock cord like and your undies a bit brown with the lack of adjustment unless you had a silly sized rope, with elongation being a factor of diameter.

Interesting article but a bit dated now and has a couple of early days flaws, knot biggies. You'll find quite a few similar ones but suss them close and many are talking about one particular boat, a slightly flasher Squid special, a 5kt sh*t box. Nice boat but be bloody hard to apply the word 'performance' to it in anyway.

Stretching or more a controlled cyclic loading up to high %'s of the rope break load of Dyneemas can actually increase their strength. It alines the molecular strings better. That's pretty much what they do (along with some added heat, usually in the form of steam) to get Dynex Dux, O12HS, Dynamica and the others of such ilk. But that extra good does have some downsides to be aware of if you push them.

But hey, what would I know ;)

Thanks for the sound advice guys, will save a few more pennies and look at PBO.

Not sure about the longevity of it when subjected to neglect and abuse but it must be ok if the round the world guys use it. :?

Make sure any PBO (or Zylon as it's known as these days) is well UV protected. It's probably the worst when talking UV, hates it with a passion.

Bart does a good job at double wrapping his though. Wrapped then over braided actually, they do it well.

Archived