Anyone Seen Stolen D28 Le Cure

cjpjlang

Update on our stolen yacht - Maritime Police have information that it was more than likely seen at Gulf Harbour last Sunday (3rd June). Where to from there??

Interestingly - 2 other yachts broken into on swing moorings at Westhaven (one of which was another Davidson) - unfortunately no security cameras in that direction - not enough light

I've sent an alert to Gulf Harbour Yacht Club (I'm a member) so hopefully they will email all members shortly via email.

Suggest you also phone/email Gulf Harbour Marina asking if they would send an email to all their bertholders in case someone in that area has seen Le Cure?

Surely if it entered GH it would have been recorded. They have cameras on the fairways there and the marina walkway cameras are reasonably high res.

As a newbie it's not clear to those of us who don't know you (1) how experienced you are with nautical stuff and (2) how well you know this area? From your line of questioning it sounds like you aren't so familiar with the waters around here - or maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Anyway, in case it helps, I can tell you that if it was my boat that had gone missing, by now I would have taken it on myself to hire a fast RIB (and a driver if necessary) and I'd be searching every harbour and bay I could find - starting with the obvious closer places and working out further and then the less obvious.

I would take more comfort from trying this than simply hoping the Police or someone else stumbles across it.

If you have insurance, you could speak to your insurer about whether they would help pay for such an exercise? But even if not, I'd be tempted to go anyway, keep the receipts and try haggling later especially if you find your boat and save them a big payout.

And if you can't get on the water yourself then maybe again try to hire someone to search for you?

Who knows, someone here on this forum with access to a suitable boat might be able to halpe you arrange a deal?

Just an idea in case it appeals...

Surely if it entered GH it would have been recorded. They have cameras on the fairways there and the marina walkway cameras are reasonably high res.

Yes but if it didn't enter GH itself it might have been seen/remembered by one of the many boats going to/from GH over the long weekend. Hence I'd be contacting them urgently as the biggest marina in the area where Le Cure was last seen, asking them to email bertholders just in case. Can't do any harm.

I doubt any bertholder is going to get upset at receivijg an out-of-the-blue email asking for help tracing a stolen yacht. I reckon most would be only too eager to help.

This is unbelievable, I have own a berth in Westhaven for over 20years, this is the first time I heard of a boat stolen from Westhaven, one of the busiest marina in the country. If there are persons in NZ now that is capable of doing this, then it could happen to anyone of us in any marina. Lets hope they catch the b..tards & recover the boat unscratch.

I have just asked our club manager to send an email to all our club members (approx 300) asking them for info on any possible sighting or to keep an eye out.

All the best with your search.

Ok - Atom Ant sent an email to our club manager asking him to notify all our members and ask for sightings. Turns out the boat had been placed on one of our pile moorings, when the legitimate owner turned up and asked hom to move he headed off up the river to Stillwater.

Apparently as I type the police boat is there taking over. I don't even know if the owner has been notified yet, but stand by for more as it comes to hand.

Hooray for Crew.org.nz.

That's have to be a bottle of rum to John B, wouldn't it?

Excellent outcome.

Looked in the stillwater yet? Checked the manly moorings.

next... mahurangi.

Might have caught the original Herreshuffler, perhaps?

from the club manager

The Police have today recovered in Stillwater a Davidson 28 yacht stolen from Westhaven.The D28 used a Weiti mooring during Sunday 3rd June, and moved upstream some time after that. The thief has not been apprehended. The white inflatable dinghy (Tasman 2.1m powered by 2hp Yamaha) stolen with the D28 was recovered from Weiti Boating Club's wharf today. Thus the thief has used a Weiti mooring and transited through the club's grounds. He may return at some stage. WBC boats may be at risk.

All members with boats moored in the river are urged to check their boats ASAP, and regularly after that.

Craig Hughes of the Maritime Police Unit wants to speak to anyone who has observed the person aboard the white D28, or the person using the white inflatable Tasman dinghy powered by a 2hp Yamaha. Period of interest is Sunday 3rd, Monday 4th or Tuesday 5th June. Please phone the MPU on 0800 102835. Orewa Police will also take details (09 426 4555).

Interesting that the D28 was found in the vicinity of where the H28 was taken, and was taken from the vicinity of where the H28 was discarded.

And the dingy was recovered from the Weiti club ramp. . .

A Repeat Offender?

:roll:

Obviously someone who knows their way around yachts . . .

I have just been out getting my boat and cradle ready for haul out at stillwater in the morning and watched the whole thing unfold. The deodar was alongside for quite some time. The signwriting had already been taken off by the look of it. My phone was in the car otherwize I would have posted much earlier. It was pretty obvious what was going on, a police boat and a tidy D28 with no signwriting!

Glad they found it but a shame they didn't catch the prick out. Also scary that they found the boat just down from mine.....

I wonder how much snooping around he has done?

Having the name removed is a worry. Sounds like the guy was looking at a longer term relationship. Pity the Police didn't stake the boat out and catch the theif red handed.

Just to say thanks to everyone who has helped out. Can't get over the support and advice by the boating community - blown away.

Can't belive the response by Matime Police either - amazing. Can't sing their praises highly enough.

More details to follow

Archived