Is it time for recreational licenses in NZ

Powerboat Training

Is it time for recreational licenses in NZ  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for recreational licenses in NZ

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

So Dan, why is it that you haven't posted more than you have? You have 147 posts to your credit and you've been around for a while now ..... why haven't you had more to say? There's a multitude of reasons why someone may not post much here, I'm just curious as to your specific one(s).

Can we get back to the original topic now?

Well, I was happy with that but then this happened (again)...

But just before we head back to topic.

And then Dan made an exceedingly good point:

That means that 8 people have made more than 60% of the posts on here! Couple of those guys have some interesting things to say for sure, but come on, this is turning into a site for a select clique of people. Who wants to pay for advertising to reach 8 people? I don't know the site owner, but I'm guessing to generate revenue he would want an active crew community who want to contribute and therefore keep visiting the site - creating a virtuous circle of more people and more advert dollars.

Which kind of forced the debate back.

So, as one of the ‘offending’ top 8 posters I’m aware that I’m on here a lot and I’m not going to apologise for that. But the important thing is that I don’t believe that any of my antics put off new arrivals to these forums. In fact the opposite, I do my best to encourage/welcome new arrivals (as do many others of you e.g. AA) whether it’s to simply watch the forums, make the odd post or ask for a crew slot on a Fri night rum race. And I was delighted to see PowerBoatTraining sign up and show himself willing to engage in a constructive debate - offering a different perspective. Ideal.

But a number of other posters seem to have taken it upon themselves to enforce forum rules, etiquette and even style. At best this results in pouncing (inappropriately as it turns out) on a new arrival and at worst it results in a pack mentality that drives some users out of town.

I’ll sign off with one final observation, following a quote from last night:

these are David's forums, and it's a business, and he sets the rules.

My response to this is yes, you are 100% correct. But notice the key word there. It’s ‘David’.

So, as one of the ‘offending’ top 8 posters I’m aware that I’m on here a lot and I’m not going to apologise for that. But the important thing is that I don’t believe that any of my antics put off new arrivals to these forums.

With respect AC, nobody thinks that their antics put off new arrivals to these forums, but the truth is you just don't know because the people that don't post aren't telling you that you've put them off. If you're just being yourself it is entirely possible that someone else will be put off by you .... you would have no idea.

And before you start to think that you're angellic I would remind you that you've certainly tried (along with others in what looked to me very much like a pack attack) to put people like Silver Raven off ... on multiple occasions.

The point is, new people will either post or not and it doesn't matter if we all tiptoe around on eggshells or blunder about in boots, new people will still either post or not and there's not a whole lot any of us can do to change that.

With respect AC, nobody thinks that their antics put off new arrivals to these forums, but the truth is you just don't know because the people that don't post aren't telling you that you've put them off. If you're just being yourself it is entirely possible that someone else will be put off by you .... you would have no idea.

True.

So, as one of the ‘offending’ top 8 posters I’m aware that I’m on here a lot and I’m not going to apologise for that. But the important thing is that I don’t believe that any of my antics put off new arrivals to these forums.

And before you start to think that you're angellic I would remind you that you've certainly tried (along with others in what looked to me very much like a pack attack) to put people like Silver Raven off ... on multiple occasions.

The point is, new people will either post or not and it doesn't matter if we all tiptoe around on eggshells or blunder about in boots, new people will still either post or not and there's not a whole lot any of us can do to change that.

Gooday Grinna & others. Time to ask the 'wise older heads' ?

Grinna - with all due respect - your last paragraph is - exactly what the problem really IS - - IMHO

As a 'newbe' - in these forums - (have been in the public arena of the Boating & Marine Industry for over 40 years) -

Most times I post - some claim - not to be able to understand my use of the English/Australian/New Zealand/Canadian language - While 80% of the rest have something rude, offensive or down-putting & usually totally uninformed about the subject - to rant-on-about - which makes a total bloody fool of themselves & does not enhance the 'crews.org' content - 1 little bit. All that is fine by me - so I just - like 1000's of others - just quietly - go away -Boy OH Boy - that's good for 'crews.org'

Grinna - your last paragraph - is what I wanted to respond to - IT IS A LOAD OF 'CROCK-sh*t' - Me thinks you should type your comments - then wait for 24 hrs - then when you've got your manners back in check - post it. Now having said only 1/4 of what I'd like to say. - wish you all a great & fab day - from the freezing tropics - ciao, james

Hang on a minute Silver Raven.

You have certainly been given a hard time by some bods here, mostly because your writing style is a little unique and some people don't like having to think about what it is that you're saying. And I've noticed that you've been posting less and less .... possibly as a result of that.

My point to AC was that you can't be sure why people don't post much unless they tell you ... and if they're not posting then they're not telling you. Attacking people for their posts is obviously going to put some people off (some people, however, like to indulge in and provoke conflict via the internet so that reaction might suit some).

But interestingly, the very style that some people have is enough to put others off posting. For instance, I tend to be a bit pedantic (possible understatement of the century) and that very character might prevent somebody new from posting because they're worried that they might look foolish if they get corrected. So .... do I then need to change my nature? Do I need to walk on eggshells for fear that I may (or may not) be putting someone off from posting? Knot Me has a pretty blunt style of posting sometimes, does he need to change his style for fear of putting someone off posting?

My last paragraph was trying (not very well, I might say) to say that we all actually need to be who we actually are if we're going to relax and enjoy this forum (or anything else for that matter). I am not advocating jumping all over newbies or any other poster because you don't like their style of posting at all. While Silver Raven's style of posting doesn't sit well with some people on the forum, that's just how he posts and is true to his style. Does he need to change his style to suit someone else? Do I need to stop being a pedantic bastid and get a life? (probably) Do various other people need to stop being passionate about various subjects whenever they arise? (e.g. Wheels and ferrocement, Ailey's Comet and insurance, Bbay and diet, etc, etc)

My apologies Silver Raven if I gave you the impression that I was supporting the idea of jumping all over newbies and making them conform to a particular style or standard. That's not what I was intending to say or what I believe at all (I just don't write very well sometimes).

Knot Me has a pretty blunt style of posting sometimes, does he need to change his style for fear of putting someone off posting?

One could say - I suppose you could get a winch to bluetooth to your iPh App. Then combine that system with some Aloe so you can suffer less skin issues when uplifting your anchor.

or one could say - Just harden the f*ck up and and stop being a softcock!!

Blunt or knot just pussyfooting around trying to be PC when I generally can't? It's a fine line and far from Crew only specific, I'm that bad (or good??) all the time.

But I still reckon it's more in how you read posts than it is in how most are written. I often see people reacting to a specific post and are thinking I wonder what post they are talking about, I can't see that anywhere. It happens to most at some stage. Sure some could write their posts far clearer at times and I am working hard on doing that ;)

I do think at times SA has is sorted a little more as here we do try to play nice and civil most of the time, something some do struggle to do on occasions, where SA is a free for all and everyone knows that so if you are called a fuckwit it probably means a lot less than if I called someone that here on Crew for example.

Anyway moving on .................

On a personal note I think Mr Powerboat dude, whose name I have forgotten in my drug inducted (legal ones this time) haze sorry, popping in is damn good and we should take the opportunity to help him help us all. He boats on real boats (the ones with masts and sails ;) ) as well so knows most but being newish to NZ may knot know the niggles we face due to local conditions i.e. a skinny and can be very busy harbour etc.

To said Powerboater bloke himself 2 things. One, I will remember your name one day and two, don't worry about the lads bitching at each other, we do it periodically and often over the smallest thing. Everyone will kiss and make up shortly. Luckily that usually doesn't involve photos so that's good as those would be seriously off-putting and possibly verging on bestiality. So don't take anything personal, it's just a family squabble, the same one that pops up every few months.

Archived