General Lee

You start to see why a sailing-starved man in a far-off country might be moved to comment:

Just sexual.. Looks great!

It is really the only rational response.

You start to see why a sailing-starved man in a far-off country might be moved to comment:
Just sexual.. Looks great!

It is really the only rational response.

You got it Murky. Not a sail to be seen here..

Stanchions are GRP ex. C-Spar/Southern Spars and the pushpit/pulpits are s/s finished black to match the GRP stanchions. The frame in the centre of the transom is because the distance between pushpits exceeds the maximum 2.1m spacing for lifelines and becomes a support bracket for the satcom dome, GPS etc. The twin legged frame rather than s simgle stanchion is to allow an emergency tiller to pivot between them - note the sockets for emerency gudgeons and rudder in transom.

Wow. Lots of thought gone in here. Do they carry an emergency rudder on board Brett, or are the standard floorboards used? Forgive my ignorance if it is a cat 1 requirement.

I think maybe the cockpit design is somewhat spoiled by the bloke in the centre with the grinders poking out of his arse.

Why not just the standard mounting BBW?post-10619-141887159402.jpg

How many 36s use grinders? I'm guessing for gennaker line speed? :think:

A first?

Thing must have some grunt to need 'em?

In which case..... Yeehaa!!

Yes the boat carries an emergency rudder - all discussions of floorboards and cupboards attached to spinnaker poles etc. are just rubbish! Either a proper rudder or a bucket on a rope off each quarter. So proper rudder, gudgeons and a tiller. Wired also is set up like this for offshore.

Davie Norris spent considerable time developing that custom grinder pedestal in order to a.) disguish the fact that the boat has a grinder pedestal and b.) to entertain some of the more deviant characters in the crew.

Yes Wal, big horsepower - righting moment is king, but the principal reason is line speed. I am not sure that it is necessary, but these guys are all stepping off a 68ft yacht and at least with a pedestal it doesn't seem too scary getting onto a boat this small!

We have some great photos that Ivor Wilkins took from a helicopter on the weekend - the boys were chucking it around the Gulf at 18kns. Unfortunately they are embargoed for another couple of weeks until Seahorse magazine is published, then we can post.

b.) to entertain some of the more deviant characters in the crew.

Well that worked spot on then, I've also been quite fascinated by it.

I did consider it was for some other use, more like in the video links Murky sends me with naked ladies and some mechanical device, when I saw the photo with the dude bending over like that. I though he may be doing a pre-delivery check.

You really could have some fun with that particular photo :lol: :lol:

How about:

"Despite initial enthusiasm the custom grinder pedestal wasn't all it cracked out to be and was soon given the arse"

Davie Norris spent considerable time developing that custom grinder pedestal ...

Hmmmmm....how about:

"I think Davie Norris was far too anal about the design of that pedestal"

Can I suggest we kick off a new thread. Competitions are great when there is rum at stake but this has been such a great thread and for a minute there we had a good conversation running with a top designer. :thumbup:

...and finally:

"No Edwin! We do not need a cockpit beer table! Now get the f*&k off the boat!!". :wtf: :lol:

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself)

Stanchions are GRP ex. C-Spar/Southern Spars and the pushpit/pulpits are s/s finished black to match the GRP stanchions.

IS that legal?? I thought they were specd as stainless alloys only through ORC or someother 3 letter type club? I looked into this a while back and am just wondering what the current scenario is. Ta.

I wandered past before it went in the water, and the retracting prop and shaft caught my eye as well.

As pioneered by Isambard Brunel on the SS Great Britain.

Archived