B&G Simrad 50 2012

Cameron

I found a shot of a SR knot on the beach... then pushed some button and it went funny but I do like whatever happened.

T Rex just after the start.

post-646-141887203244_thumb.jpg

700 odd photos here. http://s1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii619/Chainsnz/Simrad%20R1%202012/

Raw untouched but downsized. If any really float your boat give me a email addy, one that can handle 3.5mb each photo at full size.

Some are sh*t but some are OK. I think I may need a chat with AC about how to use the thing a bit more proper like before R2.

They are in time sequence so at the start (the 1st 200 odd pics) look for your start but there are some randoms of boats floating around. For the finish look for boats that finished around you and that's where you'll be.

Don’t normally write, but enjoy reading the rest so fair is fair.

From High ‘N Fibre.

Boat was marginally ready for SIMRAD. As some know the rig broke late last year, and a fair bit of time was spent sorting things out and getting repairs underway. The tube was completed about 4 weeks back, and the homejob mast base was finished early last week, along with the replaced shrouds and some new preventative babystays.

The night before was spent fixing battens that broke in the mast drop and were forgotten about, and the morning set-up involved drilling and bolting on the final new bits. This delay along with a last minute dash for the forgotten fire extinguisher resulted in the perfect chance test the new (old) outboard. Apparently the 15 will push the boat at 9.6kts... This was also apparently the perfect speed to reach Northern Leading and get the main up for the 5 minute gun..

HnF doesn’t have a zero and the underpowered two-sail was going to hurt. Doing it for the next 4 hours was going to suck. Very interesting to note BooBoos thoughts on the split at the start. We also saw the breeze filling in up in the Motuhie channel, and with forwarding breeze off the line and a hole to leeward decided to throw in a board and head in toward Rangi. If we went low it was always going to lift and we would get stuck in a horsepower race. So it was a marginal glamour in my books, and we managed to stay in pressure and after tacking off the Rangi shore stayed on the front edge of the pressure that kept a good angle tight two-sailing with decent breeze. None of the boats with zeros stayed high, though if any had it would have been an interesting discussion. A few boats behind us looked to be struggling in light aft pressure.

Took the chance when the breeze dropped to try the genny. The purple one.. Then spent the next hour or two on our ear. Slow. But the angle wasn’t too bad… The idea was to get down to the line of pressure that started about half a mile below the rhumb line below the Waiheke shoreline, and go back to the two-sailing when we managed to find a slightly tighter angle and/or more pressure, we found both eventually and all in all didn’t have too-bad a run down.

Rounded passage rock about 100 m behind Geralda (interesting to know how their Zero went on that leg, looking like a more upwind orientated sail) and half a mile in front of Abinitio the E7 who had two-sailed the whole way down. We were also about 10 minutes behind the SRs and modded 930s. We give them time btw so not ideal, but we atleast had a few boats to race home..

Slightly tighter angle on the way back and near enough fully powered up. Waterline length on Geralda, and cruising along slowly getting rolled by Revolution and Delicado.

Had a nice lay through to Motuhie green, though unfortunately it was our most tactical part of the leg thus far and a miscommunication meant an important point was forgotten… Sorry SSANZ, unacceptable.

Still not sure what tactics were the go through the Motuhie Channel (very interesting seeing (reading… we were no-where near them!!) how BooBoo and Marshy played it out). We went in by Emu rock and got absolutely spanked by an 88 who were playing a similar game alongside the Motutapu shoreline but were also pantsed by Trex (SR26) who stayed wide initially then went in. Also got caught by the E7 who played the opposite side to us, but the same side as Farrari (1020) whom we kept pace with for quite a while. So if anyone has thoughts I’d be interested?

Had some good yarns with the E7 up to Billy Goat taking turns dipping and dumping on each other, Got slammed by a nice lee-bow to finish off the beat but fortunately were about 100m away from cracked sheets.

Nice angles for us on the run cruising through the 88s and spotted Squid Viscous and Trex about 1 mile in front. Game plan – beat them on line. Who cares about handicap racing anyway ;P. Crossed about 100m behind both by Rough Rock, another Genny vs Symmetrical story and we were running the hotter angles, while they were stuck sucking tide on the rhumb through to the finish. Made some gains in by North Head and crossed the channel as late as possible. Soaking hard on port, working on gauge to leeward and, snuck infront of Trex by less than a boat length, about 80m upwind of the finish boat. Then it was heat it up and all about speed to get to the wharf end before Squid Viscous made the boat. Big bow down on the line, no idea who crossed first. I said us, skip said them. Turns out we were both wrong, SSANZ calling us even.

Pretty fair result, lost by a good margin to all the boats that run the Zeros (and sail well), and had the boat speed to beat everyone else on line. Didn’t sail anywhere near well enough to match most on PHRF. Put 20 minutes on Geralda and Abinitio on the run, which left us a couple of minutes up on Abinitio (E7) and a couple of mins down on Geralda in PHRF. Only photo of us is right after our gybe on the finish.

Tape measure will be out later in the week, and looking forward to the next one. Thanks to organisation of Steve Ashley and SSANZ! :thumbup:

Disclaimer: The above was written without the knowledge and/or approval of the owner/billpayer/skipper, and although unlikely may in fact contain some factual information.

HNFSimrad1.jpg

Bugger that was long.. First day back at lectures!

Interesting photo of the mentioned finish, and VMG differences. HnF is the blue genny on the right of pic, cross the line for the same finish time as the blue kite hiding behind the 88s on the left...

HNFSQVFinish.jpg

Its intersting that you thought the tack north off the line was good. We easily laid through past browns with sheets eased and came off the same startline so I just struggle to see how a tack could have ever been better? From where I was it looked like we put about 400m+ on you guys in the first 15min.

I guess there are so many different perspectives.

Also I don't think you give us time do you? I think its the same. Only the no worries gives us time, we give the other SR plenty. us 0.76 them 0.74.

As for motuihe passage, we found the northern side to be the best but not in too close (eh marshy) as it was quite light. Pepe put a bit of time on us when we did one final tack in and they carried on.

Interesting for sure.. Be sweet to be on two boats at once!! Agree if you had good angles the whole way to Browns? But when we folded we were hard on the breeze looking at (from memory) 120, with Passage sitting at about 80deg. We gave up about 10 degrees to reach the breeze first.. We split from a few lengths behind Marshy so paid more attention to him, but we were in a good spot when they unrolled the zero. (Tho you both put 12 and 20 mins on us, so Im not sure if good spot counts)..

Also I don't think you give us time do you? I think its the same. Only the no worries gives us time, we give the other SR plenty. us 0.76 them 0.74.

Correct sorry. HnF is even with the Rattle on 0.76, and down on No Worries. Give time to the rest.

Cheers Ben!

I found a shot of a SR knot on the beach... then pushed some button and it went funny but I do like whatever happened.

T Rex just after the start.

Think you hit the 'Sailing above the Arctic Circle' button.

Where was this button? On camera or in processing software?

Photo-Paint X5. Another photo related thing I have no idea how to use.

I went for the undo button but hit the save instead. I do like the effect.

If there are a lot of buttons and knobs, go with "auto".

True, on a point & shoot. But not for a DSLR like KM's got hold of. The SLR snobs refer to Auto as 'idiot mode' which is a bit extreme but makes the point. Some people even think that high end DSLRs shouldn't even have auto modes cos it defeats the purpose by dumbing down what the camera is doing and taking away all the control you've just spent $1000s trying to achieve.

Wow, looks like SSANZ are finally taking safety seriously. They are protesting four boats who failed to report in.

Sailing instructions say that you will just lose your right to a spot prize. Pretty harsh if you had a problem with your electrics.

The SLR snobs refer to Auto as 'idiot mode' which is a bit extreme but makes the point.
Extreme but still true. Yes I am speaking from experience when talking of combining a flash camera with an idiot :lol: :lol:
Wow, looks like SSANZ are finally taking safety seriously. They are protesting four boats who failed to report in.

Sailing instructions say that you will just lose your right to a spot prize. Pretty harsh if you had a problem with your electrics.

Yeah maybe.

Cellphones work in the gulf though.

Hey guys, I think I'm up to date with responding to requests for pics but if I have missed anyone, apologies, please send me another reminder PM and I'll get onto it.

Cheers

AC

Hey guys, I think I'm up to date with responding to requests for pics but if I have missed anyone, apologies, please send me another reminder PM and I'll get onto it.

Same here.

Protesting failure to do Radio call in's:

Cameron did warn everyone at the briefing that this would occur --since it was announced the committee had to follow through and as it is for safety reasons needs to be taken seriously .

Also mentioned was that SSANZ would be tightening up on Club membership (sailing instructions say skippers/crew need to be current members of a club --or some such wording ) and would be doing checks next year to stop false claims being made (which l hear has occurred ).

No-one can claim they weren't told --maybe didnt hear but thats another issue !!.

The overall success to make up for time lost at the start and keep our own, the rest of the game.

Wow! that is profound! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

some one should learn english before wasting ones time writing such... :silent: :silent:

Archived