ETNZ AC72 Sailing

was the tow line off for more than 5 mins - or at all?

this from americascup.com:

'Teams are permitted to sail their AC72s for only 30 days between now and the end of January 2013. A “sailing day” is defined as one when the yacht drops the tow line for five minutes.'

Great picture, but are EMTNZ now playing the mind games?

from the stuff article from above

During the two hours Boating New Zealand watched from a safe distance, NZL2 wasn't allowed to fly a hull despite her blood red, 12-storey wingsail offering ample power to achieve this, even in the light conditions

I looks just like a big 45?! funny that!

Bit late on the ol upload but if anyone is interested in a close up of the foil, I was down at the Viaduct entry as the boat left and made this vid:

Interesting - were they not running a port foil? I could not see one and that pic of it flying the port hull...no foil. Maybe why they did not fly a hull for a while as they positioned themselves for a port run to rakino?

Bit late on the ol upload but if anyone is interested in a close up of the foil, I was down at the Viaduct entry as the boat left and made this vid:

Interesting - were they not running a port foil? I could not see one and that pic of it flying the port hull...no foil. Maybe why they did not fly a hull for a while as they positioned themselves for a port run to rakino?

Great video overdraft.

From what I have seen of EMTNZ testing the SL33 they have specific things that they go out and test. Since they launched at 1pm they might not have had time to test both foils so they just up on one and thats all they were wanting to do and that would give them plenty of study information. it will be interesting to see what they test in the coming weeks while the crew get used to the boat.

If you look closely at the pic it looks like they have just photo shopped the port foil out of the picture (blog version is better resolution)

Interesting but knot much more. We'll never know if it's fast or slow or as expected or above or below expectation or unbelievable above expectations or just a total lemon. We'll know nothing nor see it do anything that exciting.

All it'll ever be is a colourful large fast (they hope) raft for a few months then it'll probably get put in a corner to slowly rot away, that part I do find very sad. That's one thing about the AC, it's left an awful lot of very expensive flash boats to die slow painful unloved deaths.

Spot on Km in reagrds to nice boats being left for dead. Hopefully these winged cats can find another home or use after the cup other wise millions of dollors would have gone to a potential waste. Im still trying to figure out if this is actually the number 1 cat and if this hull is a bit of a bluff to the other teams and a slightly differnt hull will be launched next year. I do hope they wernt joking on the launching night when they said they might take it for a spin in the winter or Wednesday night series :D :D :D

How is boat racing any different to other sports where the design and technology moves so quickly the latest kit is practically out of date as it is launched. Sure, boats are obviously very expensive but the same 'throwaway' principal must apply to all sports from skiing to tennis to motor-racing. In fact the % reuse rate of former racing boats might actually be better than say with cars or tennis rackets because they are worth the effort of saving/converting, instead of being left to rot.

What size are you talking about? Cos TradeMe and NZ marinas seem to have plenty of former racing boats that are now retired and converted to cruising?

Size irrelevant, more like date of build. Wthout doing a bunch of homework I'd say any full on monohull race boat in the last 15 years, maybe even further back. A lot of those old race boats you refer to are probably back into the IOR days (20-3- yrs plus).

Think squid means when Cav32s were race boats (sorry, couldn't resist)?

Most AC boats have found a second life converted for charter. This generation, unless you could convert to soft sail which I would have thought impractical both fiscally and structurally, well, they won't even get a second life as race boats. No one could afford the expense involved in running a large wing sail with its logistical challenges except an AC team and as can be seen, precious few of those.

Excluding canters, I would have thought most modern boats built to IRC would make reasonable conversion projects, certainly better than the IOR race boats.

Oh good golly. Yes many older race boats swap to cruising good or knot to badly but the newer ones don't do that as well as they are more just big lightly build Lasers. But surely no one would try to swap a AC72 to cruz mode, that would be a large 'why would ya' I'd expect.

I was only trying to say, yes the new 72 looks good but that's about all it'll probably ever do, just like numerous other boats, so why get too excited.

If these boats don't have good racing, and I mean race as in boat on boat close 1/4ers action rather than just low flying around a water space with another one somewhere within the range of a std set of eyes, they will only be an expensive failed experiment. At the moment no one knows if the next AC will be a race or just an exhibition of what the latest technology can produce, just as the last AC was.

So enjoy the low flying I'm sure we'll see but getting worked up into a tizzy it'll be the bees knees for it's intended purpose is somewhat premature I'd be thinking.

It looks like its sailing with the bows really high. looks impressive, maybe its designed so when they drive it harder the bows dont get pushed to deep? :?

Archived