ETNZ AC72 Sailing

A perfect F1 motor is designed to blow up 1 second after it crosses the finish line. Any longer and it is too heavy.

Bollocks. That's a tired old quote which of course bares no resemblence to reality. Tell me the last time a winning car blew up as it crossed the line?

Agreed. Bollocks, what a load of crap. So ETNZ's forestay will break seconds after they finish the AC? Maybe, but highly unlikely.

Actually, F1 engines now have to survive several races intact. Teams are allocated a number of engines (and gearboxes) for the season so each engine has to do several race weekends (including testing, practice, qualifying and racing) so the idea that they only just survive a race is no longer true. It's all in the interests of cost savings (just like the AC72s).

Colin Chapman, the founder of Lotus Cars had the philosophy of making his cars as light as possible and it was he who said that ideally a F1 car should break just after the finish line - which indicated that it was as light as possible and only just strong enough to finish the race.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programme ...

I think what R780 is trying to say is that they only need to be strong enough, any more beef than that is excess weight, that is the whole point of testing so you know when the failure point is.

I think what R780 is trying to say is that they only need to be strong enough, any more beef than that is excess weight, that is the whole point of testing so you know when the failure point is.

Correct :thumbup:

Too much beef and you end up with lion NZ

Not enough beef and you end up with NZL 82

in addition - TNZ know that they will only be sailing the boat in the gulf (and probably only inner) and SF Bay.

That is the limit of the 'ocean' sailing that this thing will be subjected to - it doesn't need to go to the Southern Ocean - or indeed even to Russell - though that would be awesome!

I reckon that as something to do with why Oracle pulled out of sailing in NZ - Bream Bay can develop a pretty nasty chop quite quickly.

F1 engines will last a whole season if you let them. But after about 2500km of running they have worn enough to drop 3% of their power. So they're no longer worth using, unless you want to come last, which isn't the point. Carbon suspension wishbones are another story. They are right on the limit. If one of the cars got a knock on the track and exceeded the designed SWL, we'd hope like hell they held together for the rest of the race, then get them back to the base and put them through the shreader, along with the used engines :-)

I wouldn't loose sleep over the AC72's headstay. It's EC6 carbon. That stuff is amazing, they shouldn't need to replace it for a long long time.

These things will be built to the limits and knot to expect a lot of teething issues would be totally unrealistic. Just wait until one arses up and then you'll see some cool carnage. Hopefully the crew will be thrown out of range of the bits flying around as it destructs.

So what's the thoughts on how the 1st big Oppsy up will happen? A simple capsize, a bow down big with the arse over the top, a simple wheel stand and back flop or maybe a component failure while at speed leading to bits flying off like a Jet fighter hit by a missile? I'm thinking the later but in a smallish way.

I'll vote for burying the leebow on a bearaway and a quick cartwheel.

Dam. That was my bet.

I will go for a bottom mark rounding or the wing snapping

I'm just looking forward to seeing how they handle the pre-start manoeuvering and how close they dare cross at high-speed on the upwind legs.

I'll vote for burying the leebow on a bearaway and a quick cartwheel.

Dam. That was my bet.

I will go for a bottom mark rounding or the wing snapping

Orges call was a bit of a gimme really, don't feel too bad 780 :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't loose sleep over the AC72's headstay. It's EC6 carbon. That stuff is amazing, they shouldn't need to replace it for a long long time.

What was the stuff that failed on some of the Volvo boats? I could be wrong but I heard it was ec6

...how close they dare cross at high-speed on the upwind legs.

Not sure it would make me any braver, but the rule requires the bow and stern sections of each hull to be replaceable within 24 hours.

What was the stuff that failed on some of the Volvo boats? I could be wrong but I heard it was ec6

Don't think so. EC6 is a Southerns products. The rigging that failed in the volvo was:

Groupama: Carbo-link

Sanya: Futurefibres

ADOR: Futurefibres

Puma: Hall spars

Don't think so. EC6 is a Southerns products. The rigging that failed in the volvo was:

Thanks.

Puma had a Hall Spars Rig but used Southern EC6 Rigging.

Is it my limited perspective or...I think the cats will mostly be about drag racing. .

Its your limited perspective.

In the RNZYS w/l racing on the weekend we had three 8.5 multihulls finish within 8 seconds, is that drag racing?

Is it my limited perspective or...I think the cats will mostly be about drag racing. .

In the RNZYS w/l racing on the weekend we had three 8.5 multihulls finish within 8 seconds, is that drag racing?

also the AC45s and the extreme 40s have Very close racing.

also the AC45s and the extreme 40s have Very close racing.

It wont be like the last Americas cup where there were 10nm legs sometimes and it was just a drag race. The course that has been set is narrow for the speeds and angle of the boats which will force the teams to continually tack and gybe.

Archived