The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

Seems to me YNZ don't realise just what damage this is doing.

Perception out there isn't "YNZ".... it's "yachties" in general... perceived to be rich white pricks trampling over the ordinary bloke.

Come to think of it ... Burling, Tuke, Coutts, Blake, Dalton et al got there without a National Sailing Centre (sorry, "Community Marine Activity Hub") ... why the pressing need now?

• Upvote 1

most of the populace only take notice 

come the olympics

at the 1984 LA olympics nz got more gold than oz

this so shocked the okkas, they ramped up their new 66 hectare australian insitute of sport in canberra

and have since creamed it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Institute_of_Sport

likewise the brits set up the weymouth sailing academy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weymouth_and_Portland_National_Sailing_Academy

they've since won gold aplenty

nz now finding it needs to do the same to compete

has worked for rowing + cycling 

makes sense to support sailing the same way as it increases in importance to the national economy

all will be forgiven

if taka

brings home the bacon

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see how the public poll works. I imagine the outcome will come down to wording and scope of the questions i.e will it be focused on just the landowner approval for the sailing center or will it be sailing center vs campground.

I put in a submission of support to the resource consent. I'm a local resident, member of Takapuna Boating Club and ex sailor of Hobies at Takapuna. I hope it goes ahead!

Thank you for providing unquestionable proof we don't need to lose the uniqueness and good economic benefits the Taka site currently gives by changing it to another use (at a horrendously large cost) for a small elite group who will not provide anything like the current economic benefits and will only create a larger parking nitemear and inevitable conflict with the 1000's that already use the area.

The high performance centre is a good idea of that there is no doubt but the Taka location would be one of the worst possible places for it though... and on many levels.

Well over 8.5 million dollars of tax and ratepayers money for a few offices, a dunny and some concrete hardstand. Someone is taking the piss, millions of it straight into their pocket. How many developers are there in the HA Trust? A few.

Correct. They are taking the piss and have hoodwinked YNZ into coming along for the ride. This is nothing short of corruption, and when "YNZ" is replaced by "HAT" and the "Elite sailing centre" becomes a "Marine community centre" You know it is starting to stink.

Hmmm, it will be interesting to see how the public poll works. I imagine the outcome will come down to wording and scope of the questions i.e will it be focused on just the landowner approval for the sailing center or will it be sailing center vs campground.

I put in a submission of support to the resource consent. I'm a local resident, member of Takapuna Boating Club and ex sailor of Hobies at Takapuna. I hope it goes ahead!

The Landowner is US mate! The public! It's public ground. The council are our representatives. So you think it's OK that the campground just gets bulldozed? Seeing as it's been there for 80 years and brought holiday pleasure to thousands of all social strata (and plenty of yachties) and injects considerable cash into the local community, not to mention $160K annual rent that YNZ do not have to pay in the new deal.. Nothing against Taka boating club. I'm an ex member myself, but this one eyed, self interest from yachties, at the expense of the local community is not good to see.

• Upvote 1

The Landowner is US mate! The public! It's public ground. The council are our representatives. So you think it's OK that the campground just gets bulldozed? 

Yes, I look forward to using the public space that has been locked away from the public for 80 years unless you want to pay a fee to stay there! 

I know nothing about this, the current process, or the history. I have stayed in the camp several times, mostly for sailing events years ago. I was a great place to stay.

I presume the council rented the ground to the motor-camp, as they will do for YNZ. In both cases, the public were/will be restricted access.

Seems to me the camp ground was used by more of the general public than YNZ facilities will be, and I would have thought that an area that can be used by boats larger than dinghies would be better for YNZ.

I do not like the appearance of deals "behind closed doors" which are rumored in this case. I hold the council firmly responsible for that.

Auckland could, and should, have better governance than this.

Knot Me - All documents in a resource consent process are considered "public documents" and are available to be viewed by any members of the public or those involved in the consent process. Also, when you submit a submission,  a copy is automatically sent to the applicant. This helps them prepare a response to these points in the hearing.

This is normal process and nothing dodgy would be happening here. The council will be well aware that they need to be squeaky clean on this process, as it it likely to be challenged in court.

Smithy - you must also remember that the Takapuna-Devonport local board is the land owner here rather than the larger Council/Councilors. The Local Boards views should be aligned with what the local Takapuna & Devonport community wants for their area rather than what those outside the area.  This is a difference that most wouldn't know. This might mean that the local board listen to people like me, who has lived in this area since I was 6 years old and haven't had the use of this prime piece of waterfront public space all that time, rather than non locals who come into the area to use the camping ground. It might also mean that the Local Board listen to the local businesses who view these campers as for their economic benefit. It might also mean that they listen to local businesses who view the camp ground as competition to their operation - as unfair as this sounds, it might allow "Takapuna" to further prosper.

Island TIme - My understanding of the application is that other than a fenced off hardstand area, the rest of the area will be open to the public as the building has a roof area that is 100% open to the public. So there will be a cool evelated area with an awesome view, new large public toilets and a huge new grassed area that will be open to the public and boaties. Personally, I'd like some of that area to be opened up to boat ramp parking but that'll never happen, so I'm happy to get a park out of it.

Knot Me - All documents in a resource consent process are considered "public documents" and are available to be viewed by any members of the public or those involved in the consent process. Also, when you submit a submission,  a copy is automatically sent to the applicant. This helps them prepare a response to these points in the hearing. There is plenty dodgy happening here, right from multiple submissions through to doctoring the scales of drawings presented with the consent application.

This is normal process and nothing dodgy would be happening here. The council will be well aware that they need to be squeaky clean on this process, as it it likely to be challenged in court.

Smithy - you must also remember that the Takapuna-Devonport local board is the land owner here rather than the larger Council/Councilors. The Local Boards views should be aligned with what the local Takapuna & Devonport community wants for their area rather than what those outside the area.  This is a difference that most wouldn't know. This might mean that the local board listen to people like me, who has lived in this area since I was 6 years old and haven't had the use of this prime piece of waterfront public space all that time, rather than non locals who come into the area to use the camping ground. It might also mean that the Local Board listen to the local businesses who view these campers as for their economic benefit. It might also mean that they listen to local businesses who view the camp ground as competition to their operation - as unfair as this sounds, it might allow "Takapuna" to further prosper. That is such twisted logic. I would have thought it was the other way around. The businesses will MISS the campground and the revenue it brings via the patrons visiting their bars and restaurants. And the Local board is NOT the land owner. The public is. I think you will be surprised how many locals do not want the campground to go. Your premise that the land has not been available to you is also wrong and a way of twisting the truth. It is open to yuou to stay there. You just book ahead. Do you think you will be able to store your boat at the YNZ place for free? Doubt it. Add to that the campground pays $160K a year to the council. YNZ will pay nothing. The only ones winning are the developers who are getting paid squillions over the going rate to build the place. the whole deal stinks.

Island TIme - My understanding of the application is that other than a fenced off hardstand area, the rest of the area will be open to the public as the building has a roof area that is 100% open to the public. So there will be a cool evelated area with an awesome view, new large public toilets and a huge new grassed area that will be open to the public and boaties. Personally, I'd like some of that area to be opened up to boat ramp parking but that'll never happen, so I'm happy to get a park out of it. A plan to open up the parking and boat ramp was mooted many years ago (You should remember, as you have been there a long time) complete with a small breakwater and floating dock but was rejected by greenies and surfies (If I remember correctly) who said that it would alter the beach shape too much due to the changed tidal action.

The whole concept of a taxpayer-funded high-performance sailing centre is just plain sick and twisted.

YNZ's stated aims for the High Performance program is "to win medals". God help us - it's a f***ken _GAME_ for Chrissake.

Camp grounds are no longer camp grounds most have turned into trailer (trash) parks.

Open reserve all the way. I wish that all development was pushed, way back and we have natural beaches for all not just the few that are rich. Quite like Tawharanui style reserve with just a few small tent sites dotted and hidden in bush. 

Trees and shrubs are needed on the coast to hold back erosion and save our wildlife. Cars can be parked way back and all these fatties can get out of their cars and walk to the beach.

• Upvote 1