The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

Wow... most of the posters in this thread don't sound like yachties, boaties or dinghy sailors to me.

Most of you seem to be remembering 'once upon a time' dreamy summer days when camping at the beach was every kiwi family's dream xmas holiday

As a rate payer.....

Takapuna is a busy little place these days.

Land is also quite expensive!!

FYI I don't I want my rates subsidising a camping ground on Takapuna Beach.

If you can find somebody to buy you a spot to park your tent or RV on another part of the water front, you are welcome, hopefully they will keep the charge down, I think it currently is around $40 per night.

I also don't want a big flat grass area that fills up with league playing monkeys as does Long Bay...

Personally I'd like to see a nice restaurant or two looking out over the water.

I am sure the lease would then return the rate payers some coin for once!

The Takapuna beach cafe is as close as it gets at the moment, but that is cut off from the sea by the car park and boat ramp...

As a yachty

I have spent quite a few years sailing out of Takapuna and other East Coast Bays clubs.

I also hope to return to dinghy sailing with my kids in the future.

Everybody would agree the East Coast Bays is a great place to sail.

But sailing struggles to get decent facilities on the North Shore.

The water front is important to lots of groups for different reasons, and this makes it near on impossible to build boat ramps, wharfs, break waters etc, that are necessary to run all weather dinghy sailing regattas.

Takapuna, like it or not from an environmental point of view, lends itself well to development.

Crikey, there is even pressure for a ferry wharf :)

The guts is the Camping Ground is going to go.

If you want grass fine, or a playground fine.

But if you want to look after your, and other water sports I would think supporting this proposal is good use of the land.

I'd just like to see public access and use maximised where possible.

Agreed.

Wow... most of the posters in this thread don't sound like yachties, boaties or dinghy sailors to me.

Most of you seem to be remembering 'once upon a time' dreamy summer days when camping at the beach was every kiwi family's dream xmas holiday

As a rate payer.....

Takapuna is a busy little place these days.

Land is also quite expensive!!

FYI I don't I want my rates subsidising a camping ground on Takapuna Beach.

If you can find somebody to buy you a spot to park your tent or RV on another part of the water front, you are welcome, hopefully they will keep the charge down, I think it currently is around $40 per night.

I also don't want a big flat grass area that fills up with league playing monkeys as does Long Bay...

Personally I'd like to see a nice restaurant or two looking out over the water.

I am sure the lease would then return the rate payers some coin for once!

The Takapuna beach cafe is as close as it gets at the moment, but that is cut off from the sea by the car park and boat ramp...

As a yachty

I have spent quite a few years sailing out of Takapuna and other East Coast Bays clubs.

I also hope to return to dinghy sailing with my kids in the future.

Everybody would agree the East Coast Bays is a great place to sail.

But sailing struggles to get decent facilities on the North Shore.

The water front is important to lots of groups for different reasons, and this makes it near on impossible to build boat ramps, wharfs, break waters etc, that are necessary to run all weather dinghy sailing regattas.

Takapuna, like it or not from an environmental point of view, lends itself well to development.

Crikey, there is even pressure for a ferry wharf :)

The guts is the Camping Ground is going to go.

If you want grass fine, or a playground fine.

But if you want to look after your, and other water sports I would think supporting this proposal is good use of the land.

I'd just like to see public access and use maximised where possible.

Crap post Paddy!! :( :( :( :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

There is a brilliant sailing facility right on Takapuna Beach called "Takapuna Sailing club". They already hold World championship events and have hosted the Laser worlds, radial worlds, Splash worlds among others, with no problem. They have storage at the ramp as well. They normally have a parking area of the ramp roped off for their RIBs when these events are held. The motor camp is unique and raved about by punters from around the world. I've never seen the "League playing Monkeys" you refer to at the camp. It is kept tidy and attracts all kinds, but certainly not the "low rent" sort..

It is this kind of facility that visitors to NZ use, then go home and rave about. With the number of dumb arse things that Auckland rate payers DO subsidise, this one would be LOW on the list to knock on the head. LEAVE THE CAMP ALONE!!

Rave over.. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

There is a brilliant sailing facility right on Takapuna Beach called "Takapuna Sailing club". They already hold World championship events and have hosted the Laser worlds, radial worlds, Splash worlds among others, with no problem. They have storage at the ramp as well. They normally have a parking area of the ramp roped off for their RIBs when these events are held. The motor camp is unique and raved about by punters from around the world. I've never seen the "League playing Monkeys" you refer to at the camp. It is kept tidy and attracts all kinds, but certainly not the "low rent" sort..

It is this kind of facility that visitors to NZ use, then go home and rave about. With the number of dumb arse things that Auckland rate payers DO subsidise, this one would be LOW on the list to knock on the head. LEAVE THE CAMP ALONE!!

Rave over.. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Great Post Smithy.

I se what Paddy is saying, but I strongly disagree

There is nothing more absurd than going to English yacht clubs and seeing all these rich/overpaid English sailors wanting for nothing!

Money has brought them success and that success has come from an environment of a very wealthy nation that has money to throw around.

The rich in England are very rich and the pound goes a long way out of England.

They have prospered from this but money has not brought them sailing gold, sailors have.

Aussie was the best sailing nation at the Olympics by virtue of medals won. They also spent less dosh on their sailing program than England.

Why?... better sailors!

NZ,s sailing heritage is built on young people sailing. In the eighties and nineties we were the best because of the quality of local fleets and sailors. Money was not a driver and in my mind all the funding that sparc gives is wrongly focused on the top sailors rather than the local fleets, clubs and sailors.

More sailors in clubs and local fleets equals more sailors at international level.

NZ does not need new flashy buildings and more administration it just need more sailors racing boats and less classes.

Rave complete :D

There is a brilliant sailing facility right on Takapuna Beach called "Takapuna Sailing club". They already hold World championship events and have hosted the Laser worlds, radial worlds, Splash worlds among others, with no problem. They have storage at the ramp as well. They normally have a parking area of the ramp roped off for their RIBs when these events are held.

As I understand it Takapuna Boating club continues as usual, this is a separate multi-sport "millenium" style centre

The motor camp is unique and raved about by punters from around the world. I've never seen the "League playing Monkeys" you refer to at the camp. It is kept tidy and attracts all kinds, but certainly not the "low rent" sort..

Neither have I, but I have been to many 'green' spaces at our parks on the weekends.

What I was saying I would prefer the reserve does not just become a grass and bbq area as some propose.

Well I think supporters of the camp have already lost that war...

Looks like it is gone burger anyway.

We are now talking about the use of the space going forward

:? OOOH yes because a flash new building at Takapuna is just what we need to get people sailing to champion level.

Would it not be better to invest (just pour money) into an already existing club with a long history of dinghy sailing like Wakatere, Murrays bay, Torbay or Kohimarama?

Clubs that are established on the beach with yacht storage and parking. The leftover funds from construction could be used for marketing/ try sailing days.

• Upvote 1

I'm not opposed to the general concept of a national high performance center, but this specific proposal doesn't seem very well thought through to me... http://www.yachting.org.nz/sites/yachti ... sign_0.pdf

They have just a 500 sq m wedge-shaped hardstand for mast-up storage and 1500 sq m of indoor mast-down storage. This just looks kind of impractical to me for easily launching a reasonable number of boats, especially in a training scenario where people are sailing at different times and needing to get boats out past one another. Compare that with the beach space involved in a small multihull regatta -

415342_3816003474864_216160070_o.jpg

I think the trees they show down in front of the facility would have to go to facilitate launching.

Fundamentally I think the proposal reflects the limitations created by the push for urban intensification... squeezing things into the smallest space possible and pretending that it doesn't compromise their usefulness.

Note that public submissions are due by next Tuesday, and can be made online here - http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/A ... sions.aspx

On the positive side, it's good that the council at least give the appearance of seeking public input. Did YNZ have a consultation process with clubs and members before they started promoting this?

I think the proposal looks good. More trailer parking is good, as in the summer on the weekend, if you don't get down there early you might as well forget about going for a sail. Though you would still have to wheel your boat 150 metres or so to put it in the water (assuming they remove the chain blocking boat access to the beach, wtf).

All that is missing is a breakwater and a floating jetty or two, as the East coast bays has no decent place to launch a trailer sailer.

:? OOOH yes because a flash new building at Takapuna is just what we need to get people sailing to champion level.

Would it not be better to invest (just pour money) into an already existing club with a long history of dinghy sailing like Wakatere, Murrays bay, Torbay or Kohimarama?

Clubs that are established on the beach with yacht storage and parking. The leftover funds from construction could be used for marketing/ try sailing days.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Murrays Bay yacht club have a full design and proposal all complete to remove the current club and move it to the house behind it creating more public space in non regatta time and more rigging space for regattas. The previous Nth shore council was behind it, just needed $1M or so to get it done... No, much better to trash the camp ground and put in the stupid high performance sailing centre. Dumb.. Also, there was a plan mooted some time back to extend the ramp and breakwater and put in a floating dock, as this is a VERY heavily used facility, but this was knocked on the head by Greenies as the extended breakwater MIGHT silt up the petrified forest to the seaward side of the hard stand...

There are so many more better deserving projects out there..... Dumb.

Verge. Don't be so silly :wtf: . That makes to much common and fiscal sense.

These people want to re-invent the wheel because they want to make a name for themselves (or their buddies are Buliders/developers?) . If they wanted the best thing for sailing they would do what you suggest...

... far to logical verge. :wink:

mmmmm, must admit I'm totally lost about who stands for what now. there are so many comments and counter-comments and (possible?) sarcastic retorts that I'm now as clear as mud about it all.

so sorry guys but it's fallen into the too hard category and as it's not my personal back yard affected I don't feel the need to vote and influence the outcome for others who might have to live with it more closely than me.