The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

Well said David Lackey & Paddy O.

Takapuna as a venue has admirably held many big sailing events in the time I have been sailing. From the OK worlds in 1977, to the big internationals in the last few years, there has been the support to get things done as needed, and I think the space requirements for an 'elite' sailing facility will be less than for those events, and that is why making it a National Ocean Water Sports Centre, and utilising it for other sports as well makes a lot of sense to me. Look at the number of paddlers of all sorts on Tuesday nights at Takapuna and tell me that is not growing.

I'm sure we will still have to play dodge the sunbather as we drive down onto the reserve to rig up at TBC for regattas!

You do realise that a LOT of the stuff shown on the concept drawings isn't part of the NOWSC development.

Basically it's a 250 sq/mt building, 500 sq/mts of outside boat parking and 1500 sq/mts of indoor boat parking. Which will give a couple of dunnys and small office/meeting room/s, inside boat parking for 40 odd boats, outside for a dozen or so more boats and carparking for 22 cars.

The whole idea is admirable but the execution looks to be more political based than practical, especially at that price.

this is an interesting debate as I think most of the opposition is more about the loss of the motor camp as opposed to it being about whether a sailing centre should be there.

To be honest I haven't looked at the plans so can't comment on the practicality but if you look at the location and think about the other waterfront stadiums that have been proposed for Auckland for Rugby and Cricket and the reasons they were proposed then Takapuna has a lot going for it.

1. Its relatively easy to get to.

2. There are range of bars and restaurants, entertainment, and accommodation all relatively close by for both participants and spectators so the ability to create a regatta atmosphere is relatively easy

3. It is easy to lay spectator friendly courses off the bays out of the way of the shipping channels, fishing fleets, and less tidal and wind issues as opposed to the inner harbour.

4. Its easy to sail from there all year round.

5. Most importantly sailing is exposed to a huge potential audience of non sailing people that regularly use Takapuna beach.

6. You have 3 or 4 clubs all on the shore that you can draw resource / support from on an as required basis.

7. You could mitigate ramp issues by making beach access easier and most dinghys can launch off the beach.

I regularly go for a walk on Takapuna beach and everytime you are there someone new is giving Paddle boarding ago simply because they have seen others doing it on the beach.

I know this is a high performance centre but there has to be flow on effect for sailing by simply exposing it to as wide an audience as possible.

I am sure there will be access issues congestion problems but I think the chance to create a world class sailing facility in a good high profile location is something that that should be seriously considered given the potential long term benefits to the sport.

here's a suggetion that will never fly.

Rebuild the stupid bloody rip rap at Okahu Bay and make it a decent breakwater. Then Reclaim enough land to make a truly spectacular water sports (including sailing) centre. Build a big Marina and move all the boats from Westhaven. Fund it by building ugly shitbox condos all over what used to be Westhaven (it's what the idiots want to do anyway).

Results

1 - all the dinghy sailing in Auckland concentrated into decent fleets in one spot.

2 - the keelboats can get out of the ditch - better for racing, better for cruising

3 - all funded by sale of said ugly shitbox condos.

Then lock the thing up tighter than a bull's arse in fly time so nobody can ever undo it.

infill from the end of orakei wharf to the tip of tamaki yachtclub, solid just below water breakwater for the rest of okahu and hobson bays to maintain tidal flows/ patterns etc , combined area for public and dinghy sailing on the infill area created west of tamaki yacht club (could also relocate kohi YC there as well), decent protected combination mooring/ marina area west of orakei wharf to damn near the container wharf and easily financed by shitbox condo's in the westhaven area, would pop the rum races in decent water as well

infill from the end of orakei wharf to the tip of tamaki yachtclub, solid just below water breakwater for the rest of okahu and hobson bays to maintain tidal flows/ patterns etc , combined area for public and dinghy sailing on the infill area created west of tamaki yacht club (could also relocate kohi YC there as well), decent protected combination mooring/ marina area west of orakei wharf to damn near the container wharf and easily financed by shitbox condo's in the westhaven area, would pop the rum races in decent water as well

I heard a figure of $6million had to be paid just to get a marina development the go ahead and that was not part of the official payments - wonder what it would cost for the consents for the above

here's a suggetion that will never fly.

Rebuild the stupid bloody rip rap at Okahu Bay and make it a decent breakwater. Then Reclaim enough land to make a truly spectacular water sports (including sailing) centre. Build a big Marina and move all the boats from Westhaven. Fund it by building ugly shitbox condos all over what used to be Westhaven (it's what the idiots want to do anyway).

Results

1 - all the dinghy sailing in Auckland concentrated into decent fleets in one spot.

2 - the keelboats can get out of the ditch - better for racing, better for cruising

3 - all funded by sale of said ugly shitbox condos.

Then lock the thing up tighter than a bull's arse in fly time so nobody can ever undo it.

Brilliant :thumbup:

Tom Ashley's comments are stupid. Weymouths sailing centre is good and was paid for by the govt for the Olympics and to support a nation of sailors that numbers 12x what we have at club level.

Also Australia won the most medals and embarrased the poms at weymouth . They have made huge gains in sailing in recent years and do it at yacht club level throughout The country And without National sailing centres.

This will be a waste of money and be a white elephant in no time. Why would kids at kohi or other clubs go there to sail... unless they are told too.

Are they still going to build the bridge?

I would like to think that in these troubled times and with the Akl Shitty already going down the gurgler at $3mill a week the answer would be No. But then I'm knot a self-interested self-seeking wannabe empire building bureaucrat.

Imagine how flash a sailing thing Akl could have if the Akl Shitty put the 3mil they want to waste on the bridge into the pot with the YNZ coin and they then went building.

That,s a shocker.

Counting 2000+ petition votes against this as one vote while allowing YNZ,s one generic vote, it submitted many times, to count "many times" IS NOT DEMOCRACY!

These guys are a dodgy fockers and ... :wtf: You are right KM :wtf:

Shame on YNZ and David Abercrombie. :thumbdown: Their time would be better spent fixing their web site and promoting a national sailing centre where OGRE suggested... as this is sensible and utilizes better land with better profile and visablilty for sponsors.

Knot sure you can shame YNZ for that JP. They were only a submitter and obviously just like anyone they would push their angle hard. That generic submission thing is common as muck even in national politics. Can't really blame them for a dodgy count.... lots of other stuff yes you sure can but this count I think knot.

The shamed I would be thinking is more the mob who received all the submissions who in this case is Auckland Shitty Council. It makes you wonder just what happens in those backrooms.... and why we have to be going into debt at $1,000,000 a day for the pleasure.

Agree on the get the site working and find a better spot for the Center. I know of a couple of empty acres attached to beach only 5 minute down the road.