The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

Knot sure you can shame YNZ for that JP. They were only a submitter and obviously just like anyone they would push their angle hard. That generic submission thing is common as muck even in national politics. Can't really blame them for a dodgy count.... lots of other stuff yes you sure can but this count I think knot.

The shamed I would be thinking is more the mob who received all the submissions who in this case is Auckland Shitty Council. It makes you wonder just what happens in those backrooms.... and why we have to be going into debt at $1,000,000 a day for the pleasure.

Agree on the get the site working and find a better spot for the Center. I know of a couple of empty acres attached to beach only 5 minute down the road.

Crikey :wtf: I can,t believe it. I agree and you are right.

Seems to me the ASC (Auckland shitty council) and co are just going thru the motions and the decision is already made.

Also seems the process is more based on a "vibe" and not the pro,s and con,s.

Access to this site will be a disaster on a sunny Saturday when the fish are biting

Yet there are so many better sites that would provide better access and better visabilty for yachting and its sponsors.

Dumb idea backed and processed by dodgy Fockers.

Latest from the Herald -

Opposition to the proposal remains. The majority of the 79 oral submissions were against it; something the community board will consider. The general theme was that the NOWSC favours one elite group in society (high performance sailors) rather than the wider community when there is limited public space in Takapuna. Several felt the area should be a green space and there was a suggestion it is not a council objective to try to win Olympic medals.

Also...

Other sites have been assessed along the eastern coast such as Mairangi Bay, Browns Bay, Milford and Orakei Basin. Takapuna is YNZ's preference.

It would be nice if YNZ had made their analysis of the alternative sites public so we could properly understand their criteria and conclusions. It might have been a more effective way to get more of the sailing community (not to mention the rest of the community) on board.

Also interesting that they realize they won't actually have space for all the facilities their high performance sailors will need, and so will "instead use those amenities at the nearby Millennium Institute" ('nearby' in the sense of '9km away').

What a can of worms!!! I bet something similar happened when the horrible Mon Desir apartments were built as well... That was a shocking decision which got rid of another icon of the Shore, the Mon Pub..

Good article with interesting quotes. As a submitter on behalf of retaining the campground, I will be watching the decision with interest! Despite being a yachtie and having kids who would love then high performance centre there, this idea focuses to intently on one group in our society, whereas the campground caters for all, and really is a little gem, that has no possibility of being located anywhere else on the shore with a similar position.

It's like the car park argument, give $1000000 to beneficiaries and its a crime on humanity, subsidise executives audi parking spot to the tune of $17m and thats trifling and not worth collecting

It's a stupid place for ynz , impossible to get to, i like the takapuna beach cafe but if you want to go for lunch you have to arrive at breakfast time to get a park. And the backlash against yachties as being elitist rich pricks will last for decades

Mind you I think the camp should go too. It should be a park

Looking at the board making the call they are all pretty rich pricks as they all live in very high value suburbs and knowing most, very high value properties. They wouldn't be representative of the general areas population.

Chris Darby (Chair) - Stanley Point = Cha Ching and a big one

Kevin Schwass - Killarney St = one of Takapunas Paratai Drive equivalents.

Joseph Bergin - Milford but unlike everyone else knot willing to say.

Mike Cohen - Bayswater Ave, down the very pricey end in CEO territory as it's called.

Dianne Hale - Jubilee Ave = LARGE Cha Ching

Jan O'Connor - Francis Street = a real middle class address and coincidently the only person to vote No by the looks.

Well done Jan :thumbup:

• Upvote 1

Its the North Shore for petes-sake, no-one in really cares.

The best part of North Shore is the motorway that allows you to steam though at 110kph without needing to mix with the white trash that populates the place.

Concrete the camping ground and turn it into a burnout pad for the boy racers that usually head over the bridge on the weekends.

At times I think I'd agree with Tuffy and Chop but most of the time I don't. I also know where both their boats live and I'm knot vindictive, promise :lol: :lol:

Auckland would be fucked without the North Shore. There would be no one to pay for all the amenities.

To be honest I never could understand what all the fuss was about with him. So he peed on a tree, whoop de do, who hasn't. If it's knot that then you have totaly lost me.

Two words Knot Me...

Andrew f**king Williams

ah - careful about throwing stones - I think there's three words there Tom!

I happen to like Takapuna - its just that its full of 'spunas' as we used to call them last century!