The fight over Takapuna Beach continues

Does anyone know which candidates in the local elections are supporting the YNZ plan?

Or, if you don't know who is supporting the plan, then who isn't so I can vote against them. :)

These guys support the NOWSC... http://www.shorefuture.co.nz/

- Chris Darby

- Dianne Hale

- Aidan Bennet

- Alison Roe

- Dave Donaldson

- Tracy Talbot

Jan O'Conner is one NOT to support...

:evil: ... Why is trailer access to Takapuna beach restricted one boat ramp only?

:evil: ... Why are chains/bollards to the other 3 ramps never unlocked/removed?

:evil: ... Is this a plan by Auckland City Council to ensure sailing dinghies can never launched from the beach?

In case you're wondering - get the wind from the wrong direction and all sailing dinghies have to tack up and down the only open ramp which the fizz boat guys do not find amusing as we take up so much space. When I say "we" it takes just two dinghies and we block the ramp or must launch one at a time as we navigate through the fizz boats and 4 wheel drives.

And "we" are adult sailors! It'd be a foolish parent that let their kids launch off the one and only boat ramp when some of the less than careful fizz boaters are launching/retrieving.

(Posted in response to the various ill-informed posts found on the i-net about the YNZ plan that report (correctly) there are very few sailing dinghies to be seen off Takapuna beach but they know knot the reason why.)

Does anyone know which candidates in the local elections are supporting the YNZ plan?

Or, if you don't know who is supporting the plan, then who isn't so I can vote against them. :)

These guys support the NOWSC... http://www.shorefuture.co.nz/

- Chris Darby

- Dianne Hale

- Aidan Bennet

- Alison Roe

- Dave Donaldson

- Tracy Talbot

Jan O'Conner is one NOT to support...

Used to like and support two of them but this election anybody involved with DD got a big NO.

In fact perhaps he could say how much he pays for the lease on the cafe he has on our land !

Sent to ACC's "action line" via their web form today (http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/F ... nline.aspx).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enquiry about: Complaint about our service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can we help:

With regards: Access to Takapuna beach for Sailing Dinghies

The council provides extremely limited access to Takapuna beach for sailing dinghies.

There are four car ramps to the beach which would allow a sailing dinghy on a beach cradle to be dropped off and picked up safely.

The three ramps that provide the best access for sailing dinghies as they allow a launch from the beach are blocked by chains or bollards that will not permit a sailing dinghy on a beach cradle access to the beach. These chains and bollards appear locked almost every day, every weekend and all through the public holidays and school holidays. On extremely rare occasions the ramp opposite the café is opened for short periods.

Only one ramp is accessible which is used by all sorts of water craft (and sight sightseers) and is too narrow; and often too busy; to safely launch a sailing dinghy from. For parents of children who wish to sail - using this sole ramp is dangerous to both the children and their sailing dinghies.

Further, with the wind in some directions, it is necessary to tack or gybe down the accessible ramp to ensure the sailing dinghy remains upright and undamaged. (Beaches have no such limitations.) This causes frustration for (and angry words from) other users of the only accessible boat ramp.

For a solo sailor; i.e. most kids classes of sailing dinghies but many adult classes too; the boat must be left unattended in the water at the foot of the ramp and at significant risk of damage while the solo sailor places the beach cradle out of the way of motor vehicles and other ramp users on what is a narrow ramp. When launching from a beach the there are various techniques the solo sailor can use to ensure the dinghy is at little risk and the other users of the beach are unaffected.

I would like to understand what the council's policy is with regards access to Takapuna beach is for people who wish to launch their sailing dinghies from the beach. At present the policy seems to serve motor boats only.

Sailing is something of a technical sport. Should council officers need clarification of terms or manoeuvres described above I would delighted to show council officers using my Olympic class sailing dinghy. (FYI: Kiwi sailors of currently both the men's and women's world champions of the same class.)

Reply:

Thank you for contacting Auckland Council.

Your email has been referred to a member of our customer services team, who will respond to you directly or refer your query to the appropriate person within three working days.

Election result: NORTH SHORE WARD

Chris Darby, Taking the Shore Forward, 13367

George Wood, Fair Deal for Shore, 13107

Bother! One for (Chris) and one for keeping the eyesore camping ground (George). I hope both are reading this thread and are realising that Council's management of Takapuna beach leaves a lot to be desired!

Anyway, congratulations to both. I do hope both will take up some of the ideas on this thread.

And I hope George stops pandering to the small number of well monied people who are primarily protecting and pursuing their own selfish interests and ensures the huge amount of misinformation published by this small well monied people group is tackled head on with him leading the informational charge!

Case in point George (if you're reading):

“At this stage I’m just an interested onlooker but I would be surprised if the campground was closed,” Wood said.

“It would be going against all of the community it seems.”

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-n ... councillor

No it wouldn't be [going against all of the community]. Chris Darby and Shore Future stood very clearly for what they thought best use of the sorry, sad little camping ground. Taking the Shore Forward polled higher than Fair Deal for Shore so (using Key's logic :? ) they have a mandate.

The makeup of the Takapuna-Devonport local board looks very similar to last. BUT ... Chris Darby hands his place to the second place getter and we loose his presence.

Without a doubt ... the fight over Takapuna beach continues ... but now Balgarion's on the case now too :twisted:

(...) sorry, sad little camping ground (...)

_Your_ opinion, and at best, argument ad hominem.

At worst, just plain name calling. It doesn't help advance your cause.

Have you seen it recently? Its an apt description of the current state as they know their lease isn't being renewed, consequently, its getting more and more rundown.

Have you seen it recently? Its an apt description of the current state as they know their lease isn't being renewed, consequently, its getting more and more rundown.

Cure to that is quite simple: Renew the lease :)

And with 4 out of the 6 elected board members supporting the park, that just got more likely.

Heavy on the irony in your posts Balgarion.

1 talking about democracy in action when referring to the process to date.

That's laughable.

2 ridiculing the state of the camp ground when it's got no lease and an axe hanging over it's head. (In a large part because of the abuse of process & lack of democracy applied to the issue.)

Nice to see open minded people out there debating the issues. :lol:

I'd not support renewing the lease until the current management publish a business plan to bring the site up to spec. I suspect that without serious public funding the business case just wouldn't stack up.

Hmmmm, so the flash new yachting facility won't need any public funding then?

Do a bit of research on that one & get back to us eh?

Makes a new dunny block and a tidy up for the camp ground look like lunch money!

The process thus far has been seriously un-democratic! On that we can agree. (Yes my post on the previous page about things being done behind closed doors we indeed being ironic. And past processes that led to the lease being renewed years ago were too. Were you aware of that?

Further, the misinformation published by the "leave it as it brigade" has been nothing short of a scandal! This is evidenced by talking to the "leave it as it brigade" who I talk to in person as they're looking at the campsite when I'm walking the dog. They all seem believe the entire site is being turned into plush offices for YNZ and most of them don't know that more than half (3/4?) of existing space is going to made public. And the facebook campaign that led O'Connor and the like to believe she was representing the "majority" was similarly (probably intentionally) ill-informed.

It really is time to clean the slate of all bollocks that has gone before and ask why so few dinghy sailors are sailing/practicing/training off the beach. Dinghy sailors have rights to use the beach. Why are our rights being trampled upon?

And the facebook campaign that led O'Connor and the like to believe she was representing the "majority" was similarly (probably intentionally) ill-informed.

Reminds me of the Fluoride debate in Hamilton - look at what the actual majority, via referendum, decided with 70% support!

I hope the sailing center goes ahead as the yachting scene has totally died at Takapuna, apart from the international champs, BUT without the YNZ headquarters in it.

I hope the sailing center goes ahead as the yachting scene has totally died at Takapuna, apart from the international champs ...

I agree 100%

... BUT without the YNZ headquarters in it.

I almost agree 100%. I'd like to see YNZ present their case tho and why other locations, e.g. like the property beside the TBC can't be used. (FYI - NSCC has been buying up multi-million dollar properties in other bays to turn into public spaces. Can't see why ACC and Central Govt can't stump up for the property beside the TBC to turn into a club (i.e. semi-public) space.)

And if the seawall is built which is inevitable due to slowly rising sea levels (see my posts on Page 13) then the camping ground can be turned into 100% public space complete with BBQ areas and children's playground (if that's what people want) and provide overflow temporary boat storage for big regattas while YNZ and all dinghy sailors have a great place to launch and train from.

A win-win all around?

Cure to that is quite simple: Renew the lease :)

And with 4 out of the 6 elected board members supporting the park, that just got more likely.

Go the campsite!

Balgarion, I reckon you're dreaming if you say that the support for leaving the campsite in place is not widespread. From my personal contacts, and what I have seen on facebook, and in the press, public support for the campsite is huge. The YNZ plan stinks of backroom deals, and plush offices for those at the top, right on the water.

I want to see the campsite stay, and for many more thousands of Kiwis and overseas visitors to enjoy the little treasure we have there.

Yes it needs to be upgraded, but this will only happen when the lease is renewed. Who would invest in upgrading facilities without knowing what is happeneing with thier lease? No-one. I think they are very brave for not abandoning the place altogether..

Your posts all seem extremely biased. Do you have a personal interest?