Insurance!@#$%

I have to sell the main hull from Offender so that I can insure it as a Cat. NObody wants to insure Trimarans as apparently they fall over (thanks Dan).

So is anybody interested in a very skinny Monohull with water ballast?

Or can anybody supply a source for a friendly insurance company?

Once I get rid of the main hull can I grandfather it in to the 8.5 class?

Maybe Pete you should be a little more creative with your description of the vessel to be insured on the forms -

dont mention trimaran, just call it a catamaran with a slightly oversized engine pod and sail storage locker that drags in the piss some of the time.

If asked, the big flat areas with squabs are clearly for use just to lay your expensive sails on when they are not being used because your sailmaker said do not crush them and treat them carefully, and the galley toilet etc has to be there because its in the YNZ rule book and you always comply with the rules!.

Thanks for the tip John. I Tried them and they do trimarans but apparently " Not of that Design"

Will someone explain to me what kind of self stimulating sons of female dogs we have in the insurance industry now days??

Is there a list of Acceptable designs??

I think all Insurance people should go and take a long look at their internal organs trough their rectums.

I have my Trimaran insured with Baileys, and Neil Bailey has just been fantastic. It has full race cover. There are lots of conditions but I couldn't be happier.

Perhaps if you improved your attitude Pedro you might find it a little easier.

what is "not of that design" mean?

Let's hope Tim, that when our insurance is to be renewed we can still do it, as I've heard of insurance cos forcing clients to find a new insurance for motorbikes for instance, even though they have been insured for Xyrs before.

Did Simon manage to insure G3?

I have my Trimaran insured with Baileys, and Neil Bailey has just been fantastic.

Well Hell Timman That is just who I approached on the advice of John. No attitude I just filled out the required form online, I then got the bull dust reply about "Not That Design" that's when my attitude went out the door so @#$%^& you Tim.

Lets see what happens when you make a claim I hope for your sake that Neil isn't still nice as pie but full of apologies.

Any way none of this fixes the fact that the insurance industry has its head up it's collective ass when it comes to Trimarans We all know how many two hulls have fallen over in the last five years and in that time we have had only two (thanks Dan) three hulls fall.

Oh yes, I was honest about my mast falling off the boat (Must be the only one in NZ) so that too became a mitigating factor as well.

The big down side of all this is that Marinas and a lot of mooring areas all want boats to have cover so thats going to become interesting later in the year.

Anyway what you talkin about "My Attitude" ? that boat is owned by someone else???

I think you'll find there was no insurance claim by Dan, or if there was, it was very small, so mentioning that is probably quite irrelevant.

People seem to say the reason trimarans have a hard time is the big french one that went ovr a few years ago down south, which if true, is amazing. The insurance companies obvioulsy work on stats, and if that has skewed thing so badly, their methods are pretty flawed.

BTW Pedro the Insurance Cover I have is held with a UK company.

Taeping is insured through Baileys with a NZ company.

I happen to know Neil Bailey had to work his tail off to get cover options for me at all.

I appreciate the work he did on my behalf.

I showed him that by changing all my house, contents and vehicle insurance to his brokerage.

I also have no hesitation recommending his company to all my friends and relatives.

He also supports Crew.org.

Some people seem to think having insurance is a right!

It isn't Neil's fault that trimarans are hard to insure, and it is much harder to insure a boat in which you have just made a claim and especially if its kept on a swing mooring.

If years ago people hadn't raped the system then none of this would be occuring now.

I think you'll find there was no insurance claim by Dan, or if there was, it was very small, so mentioning that is probably quite irrelevant.

People seem to say the reason trimarans have a hard time is the big french one that went ovr a few years ago down south, which if true, is amazing. The insurance companies obvioulsy work on stats, and if that has skewed thing so badly, their methods are pretty flawed.

Just to throw in a twist with Groupama Three becoming multi (part), Groupama are a large European insurance company, so who knows what cover they had and how it was handled.

Yip they insure cat's. but just try and get the pricks to pay out on a claim.

Do masts come with warrenty? surely "fit for purpose" under the consumer act applies?

In the time I've been sailing multis i've seen some pretty crap claims;

*Old sails being thrown over the side and claimed on insurance

*Broken alloy beams being claimed when they were way beyond their expected life

*Masts where they were overloaded way beyond designed limits with masthead gear

*Masts being "encouraged" to break because they knew they were getting passed it

*Small amounts of damage being "encouraged* to create a bigger problem and resultant refit

I know there are probably similar stories within the keelboat fleet and to be fair most of these instances relate to a certain time period and by a few people that are out of it now but frankly I'd be reluctant to insure a lot of multihulls unless they made it worthwhile to me

Got to agree SD. If I was an insurance company, I'd not be keen to insure multis while racing, thats for sure.

I can't however see the difference bewteen a multi and a keelboat when it comes to theft and damage while moored, nor when cruising.

And it seems farkin redulous that cats can get insurance and tris cannot, when you look at the record of capsizes here in NZ (at least ones that claimed insurance).

guess we should all shut up, as the end result won't be tri getting easier to insure, it will be cats getting harder...

We didnt claim on our main beam, rudders or centerboards for the reason that we thought we would never get insurance again, and as SD says, they really broke beacause they were old and sh*t anyway. we would rather keep it for when (if) we hit another boat or break loose on the mooring.

Well said Booboo :clap: :clap:

Insurance is for accidents and not for wear and tear unless you have it covered.

I know of a couple instances in dinghys where the claim envelope has been pushed. :thumbdown:

Offender,

What exactly are you looking for insurance? Racing / Just Cruising :?: :?: :?:

What Tri you got? Dragonfly / Piver...can't think of any others off top of the head...

:thumbup: :sailor:

Nice Comment Voom :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Coffee on Sat?

Don't feel like lighting the mast up like a light saber if thunder is on for sat :!: :!: :!:

[quoteWhat exactly are you looking for insurance? Racing / Just Cruising

What Tri you got? Dragonfly / Piver...can't think of any others off top of the head...

Yep she is just an old shitter cruising Tri not flash like T Wolf.

Some people seem to think having insurance is a right!
It Is a right I have paid for with hard earned cash. If you enter into a contract then I expect BOTH parties to be up front. NO! Wait! Don't tell me Insurance is something they give you if you win races? ( like a prize?)

ANY HOW Now I have to eat Humble Pie as Neil has made an offer of ordinary cover so if that all goes to plan I will sing hi praises and give wolfy a big kiss.

Archived