Jump to content

B&G Simrad 100


Recommended Posts

This is it I think:

 

B&G Simrad Longhaul Short Course:

Start rounding Tiri Channel Navy Buoy (starboard), rounding Haystack (Oropapa) Island (starboard) passing Rakino Island

(starboard), rounding Motuihe Island (starboard) to finish Orakei Wharf (approx. 35nm)

 

Problem with 8.5 multi's and 40 ft mono's racing together is they might be able to go the same speed-ish, they are totally different propositions as far as seaworthyness (is that a word?) IMHO.

 

Which do the race organizers consider when switching to heavy weather course??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the new #4 might get some use after all.. Looking at predict wind, it drops after about 1400 and veers South bugger it! So we could have tight reaches everywhere. Not the Marshall's favourite....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks like the new #4 might get some use after all.. Looking at predict wind, it drops after about 1400 and veers South bugger it! So we could have tight reaches everywhere. Not the Marshall's favourite....

 

Just make your your screw ups are done in front of my camera as I feel like a bottle of rum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I remember one year that the multis were sent the short course and the real boats did the full course so watch the flags !

 

But the hard decision will be made on the day and if it looks like moderating there is provision to delay the start so thats also an option,

Remember that this is SSANZ and everything will be done to get you racing,

and at the end of the day RRS Part 1 FUNDAMENTAL RULES rule 4 applies.

 

 

 

Save all you lot looking it up.

 

4 DECISION TO RACE

The responsibility for a boat’s decision to participate in a race or to

continue racing is hers alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I correct, based on an old thread somewhere, that for the short haul course, SSANZ will give us course 1 unless it's a lay / reach both ways?

 

With the weather looking like NW going W, making it look like an easy lay to LB, and a reach back, would it be fair to say there is a significant possibility we will get course 2?

 

Of course nothing is official until the number is hung on the side of the committee boat :wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Am I correct, based on an old thread somewhere, that for the short haul course, SSANZ will give us course 1 unless it's a lay / reach both ways?

 

With the weather looking like NW going W, making it look like an easy lay to LB, and a reach back, would it be fair to say there is a significant possibility we will get course 2?

 

Of course nothing is official until the number is hung on the side of the committee boat

 

As I'm a competitor this year I won't be making the call... But the general criteria is to use the Little Barrier course provided it is still tactical (ie... A decent upwind beat at some point). If it's going to be a reach each way I'd be expecting course 2.

 

In regards to heavy weather course... SSANZ looks very seriously at it when forecasts hit or exceed 40 knots. If it might just be a momentary "gust of the day" that hits 40 but is mainly 25-30 then it's a good chance of the standard course. If it's windy the sea conditions and wind direction are also considered before the final call is made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well at this stage predict wind has only 30 at channel so we should be doing the full course. and lets not forget race one that we all thought was going to be a nam off and we drifted around all morning. still early days with the way the forecast is changing.

And as far as not being suitable for multihulls, what are you softcocks talking about, are you turning Australian

Link to post
Share on other sites

plenty of people have been round channel island in a 8.5 before in 40knts so if its not your thing stay at home.

 

personally I would be gutted if we had the short course as last time it was run.

 

the leg from navy bouy to haystack was not safe in the middle of a squal to fly a kite as there was no sea room heading back towards rangi.

 

Let us get out in the middle and get on with it please.

 

Looking forward to it. Even put the number 4 on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

The final race of the 2012 SSANZ B&G Simrad Series is almost here and it seems the weather gods are saving up their best efforts for the final race! Fortunately the forecast has moderated a little from earlier predictions but the heavy weather course may still be required if forecasts deteriorate. Boats competing on the Smallboat Course should make sure they are aware of the amendment... Amendment 6: 6.1 B&G Simrad Smallboat Short Course:

Will be amended to read:

Start rounding Saltworks Buoy (starboard), Northern Leading Buoy (port), Islington Bay Red Buoy (starboard), Motu Korea Buoy (starboard), Northern Leading Buoy (port) to finish Orakei Wharf.

 

All amendments are posted on the website at http://www.ssanz.co.nz/news.html?id=380

 

After race 2 a competitor had a little difficulty getting back into their marina berth, things got worse when one of the crew fell in the water and dislocated a shoulder. Fortunately things all turned out okay but the incident serves as a reminder about safety.

After a big day on the water your strength, endurance and ability to think clearly will all become compromised. The key is recognise your limitations and ask for help BEFORE it is required.

There are many options available, such as :

1.) Phone friends or family to meet you at the dock to help berth.

2.) Contact Marina Security (they are often very helpful and often have a boat available to help push/pull you into your berth

3.) Contact Coastguard

4.) Contact SSANZ

5.) Talk to other competitors and help each other out.

The final race is the longest and most tiring, and it's forecast to be windy. Talk with your crew beforehand about what your plans are and who will you call if you need help.

Finally, wishing your all the best of luck for the race! Remember to send in your stories and photos etc of @$%& up's for some great prizes. (send to thorpecameron@xtra.co.nz)

 

Regards

Cameron Thorpe

SSANZ Chairman

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be back on the committee boat taking photos again (hopefully every boat at the start) but there wont be any video this time around as I dont have the time to edit the footage next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks like the new #4 might get some use after all.. Looking at predict wind, it drops after about 1400 and veers South bugger it! So we could have tight reaches everywhere. Not the Marshall's favourite....

 

Just make your your screw ups are done in front of my camera as I feel like a bottle of rum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

Glad you didn't have your camera out there today...... Once we got going it was fun. Took a while though!!

IMG_2238.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
... there wont be any video this time around as I dont have the time to edit the footage next week.

So, edit the footage the week after :)

...if its easy enough to capture the raw footage, there's always options later.

Im taking my new GoPro camera... (and i have 1 for sale) hopefully it will be recording when something dramatic happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks like the new #4 might get some use after all.. Looking at predict wind, it drops after about 1400 and veers South bugger it! So we could have tight reaches everywhere. Not the Marshall's favourite....

 

Just make your your screw ups are done in front of my camera as I feel like a bottle of rum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

 

Glad you didn't have your camera out there today...... Once we got going it was fun. Took a while though!!

 

 

Look ma - no hands

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about options for taking pics if weather prevents flying tomorrow..... what time is the start and what time do you think the fleet will reach the Navy Buoy turn in Tiri Chl.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the forecast lining up for pretty constant NW direction, my vote for the Shorthaul will be course 2. Keeps the smaller guys in flatter water and offers some passing lanes rather than a reach out and back. There is also the bonus of some great surfing from Flat rock to Shag..cant wait ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...