B&G Simrad 100

TimW

plenty of people have been round channel island in a 8.5 before in 40knts so if its not your thing stay at home.

Pity skins isn't out there in a multi....he would have still been going ;)

Funny I was just down at Orakei working on my boat and thinking it wasn't nearly as bad as predicted... I still didn't have any desire to go racing in it though. I guess it was much nastier north of Waiheke. So that's all multi's out?

Short sail for us today. Had fingers crossed for the short course, as didn't fancy a big beat to channel and then little barrier in 30+ knots.

Got a bad start, as tried to barge and got shut out by taeping. As we got near rangi light, put first reef in, sheeted on, and reef line snapped. So went to second reef and carried on.

Wondered where borderline was going as they looked to be heading north to do the short course. Was a bit bouncy down the back of rangi, realised we had a long beat ahead of us from gannet, and I have no spare time to fix any damage before coastal, as am away a lot for work.

Pulled the pin at rakino, had a fun sail home, heard it was peaking at 43 at channel, so decided we made the right call for poor old voom.

Got home before rain. Stoked.

Just got a update from Bruce on Bump n grind.

Currently sitting in around 20kts of wind, around two hours from finish, all sounds well on board, Max speed of the day was 17.1kts.. Which is a first for the boat!

well that was a bit hairy out by Gannet. Boat definately deserves a rig check after that. FX retired with a bent rig, and another boat (not sure which one but had a red headsail) had to skip pakatoa and take ruth passage.

We were lucky to get across, from Terahiki to Pakatoa as the breeze was a solid 35+ and the sewlls must have been topping 3m making it marginal going to windward.

We did have a back up plan to take the Ruth Passage option if we couldn't clear pakatoa.

But overall a very fun ride

Epic race, we got the gun, finished just after 10pm I think. 2/3rds of it was upwind but the downwind part was awesome. We carried a gennaker the whole way down and had to gybe in 35-40kts. Pulled off the perfect "nam" gybe. Top speed around 22kts. Some sizable waves out there that's for sure. Pepe was around 15min behind us on line. The others a fair way back I think.

Just got a update from Bruce on Bump n grind.

Currently sitting in around 20kts of wind, around two hours from finish, all sounds well on board, Max speed of the day was 17.1kts.. Which is a first for the boat!

That's fantastic - fastest Ross 830 ever?

Trick question, we also hit 17.1 :)

What a race!

Interesting reading the results after viewing pre race comments and hearing a lot of bravado in discussions...

I'm picking a lot of yachties now have abit more respect for Mother Nature!

It was upper end for the standard course... and in retrospect the Multi's (and possibly the Longhaul Mono's) should have done the shorter option.

I think most people under estimated the seastate out wide and it was windier than expected... and by that I don't mean outright max windspeed but more the consistant solid numbers that held for long periods.

Anyway...Positives

Great to sail in some big breeze.

Great to see many skippers take responsibility and retire when they felt it was too much. Congratulations on making some good seamanship decisions.

Congratulations for all those who finished.

I'm not sure if I should say anything to the mad b@#$%ds who still ran extras in the worst of the wind and waves ??? Possibly just book yourself in for a mental check! Some impressive boat handling. In one word "Respect"

Now has anyone got some great photo's from "out the back"?

Fast Company had a great race, apart from a mega wipeout in a squall halfway to tarakihi.

3rd on line, well done to R&R and Pepe who smoked us and also to the race committee again for a great course and a top event.

This is how to "gybe" in 40+ knots:

1. Smoke past your friends on Heartlight

2. Prepare to smoke past your friends on Hot Gossip

3. Wonder why those clouds are approaching from a different direction to the wind

4. As the wind builds and turns the tops of the waves into spray, wipeout and lie the boat over, facing the wind and oncoming sea

5. Drop jib

6. Regain rudder control

7. Tack 270 degrees

8. Raise jib

9. Raise chicken chute

10. Drink coffee laced with rum

quarter pint had a bit on. c**t of a day at the office really. couldnt see rat catcher after navy.

think they were in the lee of waiheke when it got windy as f**k. we had to granny tack, throw 2 reefs in and pull down the headsail to make it up over pakatoa after shag. then expected it to stay a bit windy so stayed with little sail untill passage rock...mistake. but the only thing we broke was the windex. man its hard driving in this conditions down wind without a windex.

looking at the rig dancing in the video scares the sh*t outa me.

think since rat catcher didnt start race one we have the series double

and tehy say cameras dont capture the size of waves very well. i prove otherwise

waves.jpg

I reckon we handled it pretty well. Got past some big boats on the beat to Channel. Pretty wet ride but 3 reefs and the no.3, thinking about the no.4, and quite big waves. Pretty constant 35 for a while then gusting over 40 which was a bit testing but the boat just loved it. Then started to hear some funny creaking sounds from the rig and chickened out half way to LB. Very disappointing as we were guaranteed third and closing in on Coppelia.

Archived