B&G Simrad 100

TimW

One of the most challenging races we've done in years! Well done all finishers.

We hit over 14kn in the blue bus with a poled out #3. Boat is dry, nothing broken and we're ready to go again. Once the body recovers....

Highlights were following Cam/HardLabour into Motuora and then leading them out. Then getting them to set up the kite early into Flat Rock and watching it fall out of the bag. We may even have a photo for the prizegiving. Well done to Pahi and Hard Labour for flying the kites out of Flat Rock. Epic wipeout by HL - She went round real fast! Also congrats to Tickled Pink. We thought we'd have enough breeze into Shag so didn't set the kite and got run down just before the corner to follow them around.

More stories later

that smoked past us. an elliott. i though it said rockstar but could have been snap decision?. shorthaul course. think it had enough for the day.

we fell over once again

pahi says they hit 19.4 before the number one kite packed a sad

fell over.jpg

Definitely some tough conditions out there yesterday. We pulled out just before the Colville channel. The breeze was pretty solid a steady 30kts+ but manageable, it was the sea state that made it tough going. The closer that we got to colville the uglier the wave sets got. The sea was pretty confused at times with the odd wave breaking. It gets pretty hard to beat into that sh1t in a "little" 11m boat. Fineline was bobbing like a cork and felt like another few tons of displacement would have been nice. We took a couple of big breaking waves right over the boat that knocked us down hard. With the prospect of the sea state getting worse around channel island, a beat to Lt barrier in the same conditions and the breeze still forecast to build I made the call to look after the boat instead. Looking at the results for longhaul div 2 clearly we weren't the only ones thinking that way.

The run home was much nicer, still 35kts+most of the time but with the waves a bit more settled further away from colville. Some good surfs on the way even bare headed with 2 reefs:

top_speed_ssanz_race_3.jpg

Notorious managed to get around the longhaul course in one piece. It was some pretty tough sailing. Windgear on the beat to LB from Channel Island read 55 knots when the rain squall came and pounded us for an hour. I think that pretty much sent quite a few boats home. A few massive waves made sure that you did not nod off if you were on the helm :crazy: the feeling to finish was great and the rum on the final approach to finish well deserved! No broken gear/ sails just a conservative approach - if you can have that on a day like yesterday :D Thanks to organisers for going ahead with race and leaving it up the skippers to race or not. No photos as I was not crazy enough to ruin the phone - but I did see Will out there - so I am sure he will have a few goodies

Truxton pulled out because some soft cat sailor could't handle it.

That comment deserves a bit more of an explanation!

well got sea sick 30 minutes after we hit the rough stuff and spent the next 5 hours with me head over the side of the boat. those keel boats have a far different motion in the ocean than the multies!

feeling pretty gutted to let skins down like that.

big respect to all those hard guys who can handle it!

A little bit of footage from Rattle n Rum down the run from flat rock to shag island. That footage was before it got windy too.

No idea what our actual top speed was but early 20s I think. We found an SR26's terminal velocity thats for sure.

Hoisted at flat, gybed in the squall (a goosewinged gennaker 'Nam gybe') and droped at shag rock, no wipeouts all day, just 15-20kts the whole way, it was a real nice leg for us.

One of the most challenging races we've done in years! Well done all finishers.

We hit over 14kn in the blue bus with a poled out #3. Boat is dry, nothing broken and we're ready to go again. Once the body recovers....

Highlights were following Cam/HardLabour into Motuora and then leading them out. Then getting them to set up the kite early into Flat Rock and watching it fall out of the bag. We may even have a photo for the prizegiving. Well done to Pahi and Hard Labour for flying the kites out of Flat Rock. Epic wipeout by HL - She went round real fast! Also congrats to Tickled Pink. We thought we'd have enough breeze into Shag so didn't set the kite and got run down just before the corner to follow them around.

More stories later

Thought it was a good idea setting up while in the lee of Kawau... were going to put the big chute on too !

Had a epic wave smash over the boat, picked up the kite bag and lifted it up over the rail at which point the next wave washed it out the end of the bad the sheet was attached. After the recovery I retrieved the bag to find it was still closed ! Velcro hadn't let go at all...

That wipe out was epic! Strange thing was the boat was flat doing 14's and feeling good however suddenly the rudder must have ventilated as it was around my ears with no load. Quick yell to the crew "I've lost the rudder" at about which point it was round she goes... the subsequent flogging snapped the kite halyard. We tried up then rehoisted on the genoa halyard charging hard to chase down Pahi. Please post the pic... I'd like the Oh @#$% award prize... could spend it on a kite halyard !

Epic ride... longest on the edge kite ride on the HL ever! Saw 17.1 on GPS. Not sure how much higher our peak was.

Those SR's look sweet to drive downhill! Solidly on the plane where as we drop off it and load up with waves trying to push the stern around. We had heaps more going on, right on the edge. No way could we do photo's or video....

Interesting reading the results after viewing pre race comments and hearing a lot of bravado in discussions...

I'm picking a lot of yachties now have abit more respect for Mother Nature!

It was upper end for the standard course... and in retrospect the Multi's (and possibly the Longhaul Mono's) should have done the shorter option.

I think most people under estimated the seastate out wide and it was windier than expected... and by that I don't mean outright max windspeed but more the consistant solid numbers that held for long periods.

Anyway...Positives

Great to sail in some big breeze.

Great to see many skippers take responsibility and retire when they felt it was too much. Congratulations on making some good seamanship decisions.

Congratulations for all those who finished.

I'm not sure if I should say anything to the mad b@#$%ds who still ran extras in the worst of the wind and waves ??? Possibly just book yourself in for a mental check! Some impressive boat handling. In one word "Respect"

Now has anyone got some great photo's from "out the back"?

hmm I am of mixed opinions. The multi's should have been doing the heavy weather course. I think the number of finishers is good justification as to why. We had a minor breakage about 40mins after rounding channel island which ended our race. If it hadn't happened we were happy to carry on. We were seeing sustained puffs of 53kts on our wind gear and averages around 42kts with a sea to boot as well. Not even the biggest multi out there could round little barrier so I don't know what our chances would have been. Coming home with the small jib only and no main we were still topping out at 23kts of boat speed.

The ssanz MO on the front page is to encourage participation. If sailors think that they are going to be sent out on long courses in 40 gusting 50kts they will just stay at home. I would much rather have a yacht race than a boat busting survival race. We will be there either way but just trying to consider the smaller boats and not so confident crews.

No pics from us out the back. Far too much happening.

yup hard work in that sea state, after the secound wave over the top and using the side of the windward genoa whinch as a seat i was wondering how long, or when Hamish would say lets save the boat and gear for another day. It was probably less than 3 minutes after that.

The run home was great with some magic surfs.

And Why do sailmakers place the reef rings 3/5mm to short to get on the horns. We tied the cunningham to the secound reef point, worked a treat and meant we didn't have to drop any slides. another question for the sailmakers, leach line cleats, are there any that auctually work. A sail tie did the trick with a few puchases back to the boom.

Matty read your dads aviation med book, then give me a call and i'll take you up in the glider. the body is an amazing thing but will also fool you into differnt things ( motion sickness especially ) very quickly if you let it. In the inner ear are 3 little tubes called the otoliths i think, these have fluid in them that give us balance. If there not doing what the eyes see and mind thinks the body goes a little haywire, you get hot, sweaty, stomach churned and before you know it ....... Quite often if you do feel sick you are better to releive the pressure early with a finger assisted purge before adrenilin kicks in hard and turns you upside doown so to speak.

In a glider because of the way you are seated and strapped in this can be deminstrated very easily, with a you look over there at that, then I do a sudden different manover, and generrally you will leave you stomach and head behind. but then do the same manover with you being told whats happening and you following the path visually you should be sweet.

Upshot is watch the sea state coming feel the boat going through it as it approaches, like you would be if helming. Always try and lookout with part of the boat in your preferal vision, it will tell your mind what you platform is doing.

Blocked ears and or a cold don't help, nor does being hung over as the fluid in the tubes is comprimised way longer that you think. hense the clumsies you get the day after a big night.

Truxton pulled out because some soft cat sailor could't handle it.

That comment deserves a bit more of an explanation!

well got sea sick 30 minutes after we hit the rough stuff and spent the next 5 hours with me head over the side of the boat. those keel boats have a far different motion in the ocean than the multies!

feeling pretty gutted to let skins down like that.

big respect to all those hard guys who can handle it!

Sounds like it would have been awesome conditions for cat Sundreamer.

Quick report and Video from Y88s and unedited video off War Machine....

Young 88 SIMRAD 100 HEADLINES

.... a religious experience.... thunder, lightning, rain, crashing waves and lots of prayers.... "please don't roll to weather any further!!!!!!!..." ... "please don't break right on top of us" ....

Congrats to Nathan Slipstream taking the series easily with another 1st on line 23 minutes ahead (just like a big 5.9 eh Sooty, must havebeen no major wipeouts with that finish time). Also to Chris on Heaven and Hell for second and "sticking like glue" Voodoo 1st on corrected time.

All six 88's entered finished while many boats pulled out and all 88's flew kites for long spells from Flat Rock to Shag (apt name that) some more successfully than others!!!!

Another endorsement for the boats, sailors and design skills if Jim Young.

Y88 Facebook post video off War Machine (havent embedded video on here before so included you tube URL as well) .......

.....Bit of raw footage from yesterday as we "hung 10" from Flat Rock to Shag Rock....

We hit over 20 on log... turned out moody Navman had decided to switch units to MPH... later when converted back we showed a max of 17.6kts.... that was about 10 minutes before massive broach with kite through foretriangle.... total cluster @%$#

I didnt realise but crew was having otherwise occupied whilst I was filming hence slow sheet release at end of video... another way to pee your pants...

* Filmed on handheld 5 yr old now disposable Canon Ixus compact digital...

hmm I am of mixed opinions. The multi's should have been doing the heavy weather course. I think the number of finishers is good justification as to why. We had a minor breakage about 40mins after rounding channel island which ended our race. If it hadn't happened we were happy to carry on. We were seeing sustained puffs of 53kts on our wind gear and averages around 42kts with a sea to boot as well. Not even the biggest multi out there could round little barrier so I don't know what our chances would have been. Coming home with the small jib only and no main we were still topping out at 23kts of boat speed.

The ssanz MO on the front page is to encourage participation. If sailors think that they are going to be sent out on long courses in 40 gusting 50kts they will just stay at home. I would much rather have a yacht race than a boat busting survival race. We will be there either way but just trying to consider the smaller boats and not so confident crews.

It was definately windier than the usually over the top metservice forecast! I know the Race Committee was thinking long and hard about sending the multi's on the short course as the forecast was at the upper limit. Several Multi's were consulted about rounding channel in gusts up to 40knots and all seemed pretty happy... During the week there was alot of talk from competitors along the lines of "Please don't shorten"... So people got what they thought they wanted. Due to a lack of racing in big breeze I think alot of people forget how brutal it can be...If we had run the shortcourse it would have been a cake ride and right now the RC would be getting called soft etc as boats wouldn't have experienced the seastate or breeze further out or realised how different it can be.

The good thing is all the crews made seamanlike decisions and all got home safe. A few would have got a reality check and learned to respect the weather... and if doing the same next year I doubt we would get many complaints if we shortened the Longhaul Divisions. I think the Shorthaul and Smallboat courses were fine on the day...but still nearing the limit.

40 gusting 50 is definately beyond what our criteria is to shorten... Unfortunately all our weather info suggested more along the lines of 30 gusting 35-40. For the record on the Shorthaul Course our max windspeed was 38knots but I was surprised at how solid it was without many lulls.

For those interested in statistics...

grph1-1.jpg

and a more detailed view...

grph2-1.png

Stories / photo's / videos pending...

Interesting reading the results after viewing pre race comments and hearing a lot of bravado in discussions...

Bravado is resident in forums, pubs, and other warm, dry, and peaceful places...

At sea, he shrinks in the shadow of his wiser brother 'Seamanship' (or is that 'self preservation).

...Several Multi's were consulted about rounding channel in gusts up to 40knots and all seemed pretty happy......

I heard this on the radio, and thought it was great that the RC was giving the multi's the ability to have a say in their destiny. Everybody would be moaning like school girls if we were home in time for lunch.

If I had a complaint it would be about the "bad weather" flag (Code Flag S) flying on the committee boat... There was a fair amount of confusion and numerous radio calls about which course we were supposed to be sailing...

All in all, i'm I'm exceptionally grateful to the organisers for giving me the opportunity to extend myself, have a safe organised challenging 2-handed race, and to earn my rum!

High'n'Fibres view from the Shorthaul:

With the forecasts predicting more than we thought we could handle, we figured we wouldn't be a finisher but being a northerly at least we could have a good ride home from where ever we gave up, so we started! I wouldn't have even thought about starting if it had been the same forecast from the south.

Anyways, were about a minute late to our start thanks to a silly decision on my behalf. Started with a full main, which was silly as it’s a huge main meant to propel the boat around the harbour with 4 guys on trapezes, not two guys sitting on the side of the boat. Put a reef in pretty quickly which helped.

Soon decided to put in a second reef, but we only have a single reefing line and we lost about 10min sorting it out, by which time we were in the middle of the small boat fleet. This turned out to be great as we could at least race them going upwind, being only 7m long, where our fleet were doing a horizon job on us.

HnF was handling the conditions much better than I expected so we continued on through the Tiri passage after the small boats rounded Navy Buoy. By this time, most of our fleet were starting to disappear behind Motaroa.

We weighed up the options and the thought of sailing around the Gulf on a 7m trailer yacht with no one anywhere near us, with a nasty forecast, and more beating home from the bottom end of Waiheke didn't seem that appealing (or smart/safe) so we threw in the towel and hoisted the fractional genny.

The wind seemed to die off at this point, so we shock out the double reefs and put up the masthead genny and had an OK ride for a while. Off Castor bay we got hit by some MASSIVE bullets where we were going hell for leather and praying not to wipe-out. Ben hopefully got some great footage of this bit.

Off Taka, we could see the breeze starting to build big time. I wanted a good ride but I wanted to not break anything even more, so I made the call to drop the genny, as this was only the third outing for our mast since we broke it last year and got it glued back together.

All in all, we had a great day out, I think we made the right decisions for us and so did SSANZ for our fleet.

Somehow, I need to convince Yachting NZ PHRF committee that we really are only 7m long, and not 10m like they seem to think we are. We give time to everyone in our division, of similar sportie type boats, apart from Pepe, a very very turbo-ed 930. Not sure how to fix this as we need more race histories, but heading out into the gulf to get our ass kicked again and again isn't much fun.

Thanks SSANZ and maybe we'll see you next year!

PS Thanks Stephen for posting those pics - This is us:

HnF Simrad 100 2012.JPG

Full report later, but the best part of the race was crossing the finish line.

Conditions out in Colville were hideous. We had sustained 40-45 knots for around 30-60 minutes and had waves come right over the boat. Had a huge knock in that 40 knots stuff after we tacked near Great Barrier that was sending us back to channel island. With no visual references it took 30 minutes for the skipper to notice! Duh! A very very long beat to little barrier and by then we were stuffed. Gary had no stomach contents left so we cruised home on the #4 and full main.. BUT WE FINISHED!!!! More later. (Love the #4 Booboo, but is that material some sort of high tech leather??? It's a MARE to move around the deck.. :D :D )

Smithy

Archived