Coastal Classic

To all you lucky buggers doing the costal. I hope it does what its forecast to do!!!

Friday: Westerly 35 knots gusting 45 knots, turning southwest early morning, then easing to 30 knots gusting 40 knots late afternoon and to 20 knots gusting 30 knots in the evening. Very rough sea becoming rough late afternoon and moderate in the evening, but choppy in the Gulf when wind opposes tide. Fair visibility in a few morning showers easing, mainly fine.

Outlook:

Saturday: Southwest easing to 15 knots early morning, tending northwest in the afternoon, rising to 30 knots at night. Becoming cloudy.

Sunday: Northwest easing to 20 knots later. Rain, then showers.

Monday: Northwest 20 knots dying out. Showers easing, then late rain.

Even a one liner to say you're in Tutukaka and the sea breeze has just kicked in - or that there's a steep chop off Kawau - or that you've seen a particular boat sail out to sea, or broach, or gybe ...

As it stands at the moment, I would not expect to see a sea breeze at while the boats are on the track but can foresee the odd instance of running out to sea or broaching, potentially leading to a gybe.

Have fun guys, scream and wave as you go past if you have any voice left by that stage. :wave:

All sorted Bardy, got a driver, will call you now.

Anyone else need any gear taken up?

Legend. Thanks mate.

Find me in Russell. I am bringing three different bottles of rum.

And in news just to hand...

Boat ready - check

Food ready - check

Rum hidden on boat - check

Skipper in bed running a temperature of 39!

He has just advised that the decision will be made at 6am tomorrow as to if we go north.

There could be 9 unhappy people tomorrow morning :(

The iPhone app has been approved watch out for it in the App Store later tonight

Downloaded app. Looks OK although its currently showing me about 2000ft off actual location.

We have pulled the pin on the Stealth mission, currently we are just not set up to handle 40+kts....

I have jumped on board the new Elliott 35 Canter 'Crusader' which should be a fun and fast ride!

And in news just to hand...

Boat ready - check

Food ready - check

Rum hidden on boat - check

Skipper in bed running a temperature of 39!

He has just advised that the decision will be made at 6am tomorrow as to if we go north.

There could be 9 unhappy people tomorrow morning :(

It seems a high dose of "Harden Up" has done the trick!

Lets head to Russell :thumbup:

Sailonline will be starting the virtual race @2100utc and following the fleet on the Race Tracker (well done organisers - its looking v good!).

So far we know of one SOLer taking part - NZL_WairuaExpress in Open Country.

Two of SOL's chums, Edwin Delaat and Laura Dekker are in Crac-a-Jac

any other Sailonline regulars taking part?

Hope all participating have a challenging, fun and super exciting race!! :thumbup:

Sorry folk, if you are watching the race online unfortunately it is so popular that it has crashed. I can tell you that the first start is away and it is as crazy as we thought it would be.

The best start tactics were definitely to get in close to Devonport and sail as far as you could before gybing.

Georgia was leading the monuls until a messy gybe saw her kite around the forestay. V5 is carrying the biggest gennaker of the 50s and looks great.

Triple 888 was leading the fleet for a while as TVS was stopped int he lee of a big ship that conveniently left port during our race start, but a more recent report has them leading.

Archived