Barfoot & Thompson Shorthanded Series - Big Cash Prizes

Fish

Unfortunately the CC was a DNF. First ime for a long time. We floated around out there until 4.30 and then pulled the plug. We even tried to get the kite up to generate some go forward but just couldn't get headed to the Haystack. Beautiful day with plenty of fish being caught. WT lookos really smart.

yeah great day. massive gamble by big c and wt that paid off big time.

At one point the promised westerly seemed to fill in and we got the genny up following b&g thinking we're off, only for it to go glassy 5 min later.

and rr was seriously unprepared with no chilled amber necter on board. bottle shops in manly arn't open at 830am!!

It was a long thirsty race.

Bump n grinds race went something like this, put the code zero up some time after the start line, furled it and unfurled approx. 29 dozen times, drifted for a bit, lots of pesky sand flies, lots of dolphins, had a rum and motored home.

( nice avatar Phil, I know how much these crewers like to admire how skillfully those young i14 blokes handle themselves in a bit of a blow)

Bump n grinds race went something like this, put the code zero up some time after the start line, furled it and unfurled approx. 29 dozen times, drifted for a bit, lots of pesky sand flies, lots of dolphins, had a rum and motored home.

( nice avatar Phil, I know how much these crewers like to admire how skillfully those young i14 blokes handle themselves in a bit of a blow)

Did bruce use the AUTO JORDAN on that motor home?

Hey, Arnt you forgetting something here? goes something like thanks luke for coming out and taking photo's of us in the 14...

I heard that :!:

I better go take all that heavy gear off we had on board for the Coastal. Might just leave the really big sails on board :D Got to get the kauri log to move somehow :lol:

I suspect being the 'light' boat we'll be a prime candidate for safety checks so we'll be sailing with the full kit. Last race we had 60L of drinking water, a full tank of fuel and the fishbin of tools also! We actaully need the weight if there's any kind of chop to punch through.

Nice sail today. Some wind at least! Thought we sailed a good race on WT today, won the start, no mistakes, a few sail changes and risky jibes etc to keep the boat going. Although our corrected time result doesn't reflect that! 4th on line, 12th on corrected!

Photo0032a.jpg

You guys looked awesome off the start WT. Good boat speed, we couldnt keep up under motor, although that is probably due to 6 months of growth on the bottom and prop! I was envious of all you guys out there today.

Great photos. Good to see the Ant is taking the first steps to being back in the game also! It's just not the same without the red boat out there....

WT doesn't half stand out on the start line!

Only a week to go until the next B&T race. The last one was a cracker. Dried the boat out today and cleaned the bum, got to make sure we stay in front of those Gulf Harbour boats.

Had a great dual with first priority last time, they got through us on the gennaker run, we came in hot to A buoy and did a style first class drop setting the number 1 for the windward single lay to the finish at Arkles, First Priority carried on under gennaker down to McKenzie bouy, which definitely is not A bouy, but was the mark on the course...

We set off in hot pursuit slowly reeling them back in, staying high to get over them, then trying to dive under them just out from the finish as they were holding us up. No amount of ducking and diving could open up a lane and we finished square on their transom.

Put some time on Riatia to windward and were chipping into Wild Thing's lead but the runway wasn't long enough, did enough to get both First Priority and Wild Thing on handicap though.

Good size fleet, circa 18, and agood wide mix of boats, very good fun racing. How many town boats coming up to the tropics for this one?

Sunday 25th, 10am, off Gulf Habrbour this time.

I'm looking forward to going sailing although I'm not going to look at the results afterwards. We're going to be making up the numbers again unfortunately. Unless of course it's 20kts, aft of the beam the whole way around. Then we will sail to our handicap.

Really close racing today. A true 10 mile beat up the harbour to Motuihe kept the whole fleet pretty honest. Everyone was pretty close and with a lot of tactical options available, a few of the left hand boats came out really nicely in that last couple of miles. We weren't one of them! And had to work hard to salvage a bit of time with the gennaker up around the back. That went ok and we got up to 3rd behind a could of the big boats. Ended up 4th I think. Awesome day for a sail!

Archived