Kite Socks - Are they worth the hassle?

Fish

Question:

In a letter box drop, what do you do with the brace? ping it or blow it? I'm guessing if your running tight a ping would be handy, bit tricky two up though, or you could do the conventional ease the sheet, blow the halyard, get the foot in with the lazy brace then just blow the brace when all the power is out of it?

Hi Fish

we letterbox drop and unless it's blowing too much we ping the brace, then take up the foot with the lazy before lowering the halyard in a controlled manner

well thats the theory

see you out there tonight

When short handed I let everything go. Can mean a little more to clean up but it does reduce the number of things that stick up and make you end up whitebaiting or lying on your side with the kite set 20mts further out.

You're on to me guys - I'm fair shittin meself! Worrying myself :sick: about it! My other half has just informed me that she can't make it next weekend so now I'm on the lookout for a hot she sailor, where hot = a really good sailor. Must not be afraid of big sails! Please pm sailing CV to me.

KM, Fishy - see you out - better make sure you get a good look at me before the start, after that it's :wave:

You guys! This is turning into the Desperate & Dateless Ball on water. When are you going to realise that when she says she is busy washing her hair that weekend, she means... :wave:

KM, Fishy - see you out - better make sure you get a good look at me before the start, after that it's

me quietly sneaking back up the river as I don't want to be seen being beaten by 2 family cruisers :lol:

Damn been rejected by 2 females already. Maybe I'll have to stop saying 'the rules state you must be naked'. Much more of this and I only have a few days to train the cat to walk on it's back legs :)

I wonder if Mrs Murky wants to come sailing on a real boat for a change :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

I wonder if Mrs Murky wants to come sailing on a real boat for a change :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

I put the question to her and while the thought of a nice sedate amble round the track on a 930 initially appealed after all that zipping here and there in the 88, on reflection she is just too busy to spend so long covering a short distance.

Ask again some time though, you never know your luck... :P

Just saw that there is a one-page article in Yachting World mag about a gennaker furling system that is being trialled on the new Beau Geste. About two-thirds of the way through the mag if you are quickly flicking through it at a gas station as I may have been. :oops:

I wouldnt go offshore shorthanded without a snuffer. We used North snuffers on all of our kites in the RNI on Waka and they were ledgendary. all the open 60s use them.

they are not fool proof but if you know how to use them they are fantastic, even for heavy weather gybes.

self retrieval. anyone tried attaching a cord to a spinny thing on the motor? hit full noise and watch the kite go down the frount hatch, out the main hatch and get ripped to sh*t while being eaten by ya motor? in which case resort to a chase boat drop.

serious point though. with halyards on the mast, put the kite halyard round a winch and send tail back to driver/sheet/brace hand and open clutch. frontier man has brace and pulls kite down as the person doing the work eases the sail down. by the time he gets to the end 80% of the sail is down and the remaining is controled because of the wrap on the winch.

one thing i thought about was a roller/guide on the front hatch with a cord attached to the clew and a 1:4 purchase on it so it gets pulled in realy fast. wont work on big boats as the effort required would be even with that of winching it down.

letter box drops work well. just dont get it the wrong side of the runner. anyone ever tried hoisting from the letter box? i imagine its like feeding it up behind the headsail untill it gets tangled with the spreadders/stays

I wouldnt go offshore shorthanded without a snuffer. We used North snuffers on all of our kites in the RNI on Waka and they were ledgendary. all the open 60s use them.

they are not fool proof but if you know how to use them they are fantastic, even for heavy weather gybes.

totally agree 100%

The Flying Dutchmans used to have a neat set up with a retrieval cord to drag the kite down a foredeck shute then the pole used to come back against the pole on shock cord. Setting the pole was a one cord pull. Very cool.

Strange you should say that Squid. I was talking to a mate in Aussie only a few hours ago and he was all a bit too much excited with his new Sheldon something or other Genny furler thingamebob. I think it had a X in it...mind you don't most. Reckons he should have got one years ago. Sounded bloody cheap as well, knot that I know that closely what those sorts of things do cost.

The prick had been out sailing, in shorts and T shirt most of the day.... bastard!

Sorry - Selden it should be. A random H in there I suspect.

My mate has me looking now but as I have kites about the same size and Grannies hankie I only really need one hand.

Archived