Westhaven Access

The big T

From the home page I see I cannot get to my boat for three hours on a Sunday due to an event supported by our landlord the Council - and this is the first of two such restrictions in the near future.

Surprised there appears to be no fuss - this is the first time I can recollect where marina berth owners/licensees are being denied total vehicular access to the facility they pay lots to access.

Or am I just a spoil sport who doesn't want to share my exclusive facility with the general public?

Will some of the entry fees/sponsorship for the event flow through to me to compensate for the lack of access and will the marina management have the fortitude to actually contact me direct to tell me of the impediment - or will it be a general phone text at the last minute which has been previous form.

I think everyone's just used to playing second fiddle to the needs of the council. Shame, it's going to be a mint day for being out on the water sunday. But you'll need to be up at sparrows fart or settle for a half day if you're paying the Westhaven premium. Shame it collides with the Y88 owners nats also!

It is typical of attitudes of all Marina operators (that ones that are full) through out the country. The only thing that will change there attitudes is for lots to vote with their feet...errr....wake or whatever, but they know that ain't going to happen, because there is no where for Boat owners to go and as soon as a Berth opens up, they know it won't be empty for long.

Kohi Yacht Club get hit by these all the time as well. Tamaki Drive will be blocked off in the morning meaning RIBs have to be launched very early before the first runners appear, then no parking for cars and trailers meaning parking in side streets miles away and wheeling the kids boats down. Then the hassle of avoiding staggering runners through the day as they come through many hours after the frontrunners.

Have heard that the Mission Bay businesses are not happy as there are around 5 of these events over the summer & with cars and parking restricted it eats into their Sunday Brunch market which would be significant part of their income.

Its not like Marina fees are getting lower as more exclusive access granted...

I propose a large scale Orakei project. Replace the toothpicks with a proper breakwater from Orakei wharf to burial place of Compass Dolphin in Mechanics Bay.

Create a whole lot of space for water sports enthusiasts of all types including sheltered beach for beginner boaties, proper dinghy rigging launch areas, open grass areas for those who like to be by boats rather than out on them, decent safe boat ramp with parking (yes user pays) and a whole lot more Marina Berths to meet demand. That should be easy to get consent for!!

Small correction to a previous post The North Sails Y88 Owners Champs are this weekend and Auckland Marathon is scheduled for Sunday, 28th October 2012.

I propose a large scale Orakei project. Replace the toothpicks with a proper breakwater from Orakei wharf to burial place of Compass Dolphin in Mechanics Bay.

Create a whole lot of space for water sports enthusiasts of all types including sheltered beach for beginner boaties, proper dinghy rigging launch areas, open grass areas for those who like to be by boats rather than out on them, decent safe boat ramp with parking (yes user pays) and a whole lot more Marina Berths to meet demand. That should be easy to get consent for!!

I have heard there might be some development being planned... No details... Very reliable source

ohh pleeeassssseeeeeee :wtf:

Have any of you thought of actually running the 1/2 or doing the cross harbour swim..

or just maybe...head out on Staurday night and enjoy a weekend away from the madness..

Cant believe for some people, you have the freedom to freely rock up to half a dozen islands maintained by the same council, yet have a pathetic reason to moan .

get ya runners on and we'll see ya at the start line

Have done the 1/2 marathon for the last three years and think it is a great event.

Also agree that we have some of the best cruising grounds within easy reach and willingly pay hefty rates and taxes to keep them that way.

I think the issue is increasing cost of keeping a boat at Westhaven (well ahead of inflation) and what looks like a trend towards reducing access ... it would be good if there was alternate transport for those needing to get to their boats during closed times ie some sort of water taxi, pre organised and booked. I suspect it would only be lightly patronised but highly valued.

It would also be fantastic to see the scope of the waterfront vision enlarged to include Orakei/Mechanics and more provisions for water sport users including extra marina berths and more competition in marina sector.

Westhaven was created by the then Auckland Harbour Board as a centre for boating.

It was funded by the original berth holders and the yacht clubs there were encouraged to relocate from various positions around the harbour using seed money advanced by the Harbour board. This seed money has all been repaid back to what became the Port Company - in my yacht clubs case what was a $5000 grant (as we thought it was) became over $100000 which the Port Company required back as part of our negotiations to renew our lease of the ground occupied. Lack of documentation and a desire to secure our position left us little option but to pay and what had been a peppercorn rent became market value.

The same with the berths and marina - what was a "Haven" for boats is now becoming an events area with what appears to be increasing albeit not to invasive encroachments at this stage, on our rights to access the area we pay (and have paid), lots to use and access.

Without referring to my berth entitlement licence, I would say Council would be hard pushed to actually deny me vehicular access to my marina on the day.

I can't load my boat any other way than through the marina - you can run anywhere.

Ohh stop being so precious you lot.

The Auckland Marathon is an iconic event. It even closes lanes on the Bridge. Part of the attraction is the course. If you can't plan for it each year by now something is wrong. Next you will be saying the Santa Parade should be cancelled as it impedes your access to the City!!!!

The X Games - well that is a different story and should have been at Wyndham Quarter. I hope the Marina team have learnt from that one.

Jono,

Why get over it when we can have a good whinge?

Personally I can see no reason why total access should be denied.....when people get cut off from the outside world during the Hamilton V8's at least the promoters gave them free tickets.....maybe Looney Len could soften the blow by giving us all some free rum?

Trying to clarify Labour weekend closure of Westhaven drive (and environs?)...............

Is it closed early on all 3 days?

Can't find any useful info any more on the Westhaven marina site or elsewhere, just lots of PR nonsense.

Archived