Wife wants to learn to sail - small dingy ideas

southernman

Right everyone. My wife has a birthday coming up and she wants a small dingy to learn to sail in away from barking husbands, keel boats, out on the water by herself, something simple, easy to rig, a bit of fun, not complicated and something mainstream so that when she looses interest I can sell it. Any ideas on which dingy would suit would be appreciated.

Right everyone. My wife has a birthday coming up and she wants a small dingy to learn to sail in away from barking husbands, keel boats, out on the water by herself, something simple, easy to rig, a bit of fun, not complicated and something mainstream so that when she looses interest I can sell it. Any ideas on which dingy would suit would be appreciated.

husbands?.... how many has she got :D

if she is looking at a starling then a laser with a radial rig is good but if you want smoething smaller the one of those old Spectra's, microns or spirals are great.... and cheap as! :D

Yes it sounds like a good opportunity for me to preach about Topazes and FBYC.

I have a Topaz Uno.

It is a dinghy of relatively modern design compared with a Starling or even a Laser which means it's comfortable, ergonomic (comfy on your bum!), looks good, and completely bombproof. It's a really kind boat to learn on (with the smaller sails) but it gets up and goes when you are ready to progress as well. It is used by many of the sailing schools in NZ and around the world.

I have to say that I got into dinghy sailing in my 20s, I tried 470s and Europes and a Laser and just got scared really, despite doing heaps of keelboat racing. I tried Starlings but at 5'9 I am too tall really. I am really happy in my Topaz and I'll go out in all conditions. I race it now too and enjoy racing with Lasers, Zephyrs, etc, and even two up, against Starlings. I get a lot of fun out of my boat. It is a bit more of an investment but it's so versatile (I take mine out with the kids, or sail single handed or with adult friends etc) and requires pretty much zero maintenance, which for me was a big factor. I can also trailer and rig it by myself, which is important for me too.

If she is at all the nervous type, I'd go for the Topaz before the Laser any day, If she thinks she wants to race seriously later on, then the Laser. If she wants to race casually, the Topaz is fine.

Here is the link:

http://oceanz1.homestead.com/sailboat-pages/TopperUNO1sailboat.html

Now, if she wants to learn to sail, French Bay Yacht CLub in Titirangi (15mins from the Avondale motorway!) are running a course on the weekend of 27-28 October. It's a great course for adults and will be customised to your wife's level. NOw that, plus a club membership, would be a great present, and she'll be able to make use of the club boats at minimal charge until she is ready for her own.

http://frenchbay.org.nz/classes/adult-learn-to-sail/

What's the plan for launch / retrieve / transport?

Reason I ask, is that even as a non-couch-potato, the hardest bits of wrangling a Laser solo are

(a) getting the mast in and out, particularly in a breeze and

(B) getting it back on the trailer when it's time to go home.

Raising a laser mast is easier if you find a way that works for you, but one disadvantage about a laser irg is you always have the sail to contend with, where as with alot of other classes, you put the mast in the raise the sails, Which is a easier alternative

There are easy ways around things like that, Having a easy trailer set up is great, A low flat bed trailer works great for almost any dinghy if your single handing them, Standard trailers are ok if your boat ifts properly.

I do have to admit though, a laser is a much harder boat to rig in a breeze, Sails flapping everywhere etc..

Himself bought me a laser with the radial and standard rigs last summer - to stop me going mad when he sold the Elliott out from under me. :D

I was at first a bit nervous in the radial rigged laser, but once I was used to it, I was more than happy to duck down to the estuary, rig it, and take it out for a sail, even when it was a bit breezy.

I am a bit heavy for the radial, but that just means it's less tender :wink: , there is plenty of room for me to move around in the 'cockpit', and I found it to be a great confidence builder.

Previously I have sailed a sunburst - but the room between the tiller and the mainsheet started to shrink. :lol:

Just my 2c

M

Laser, radial rig. They're ten-a-penny, user friendly, stable enough and can take a fairly big body- weight range. Fibreglass, so quite hard to destroy. Easy to re-sell too, if the whole thing doesn't appeal.

Some really interesting replies. The topaz looks good but was thinking a max budget of 2k so hence laser or starling. I love the look of the starling but rigging a laser is easier so that's probably what I'll end up getting her.

Zoe, we used to live in French Bay in Titarangi, still have a house there rented out but now live in the South Island, but spent a good few nights at the club!!

This is a great topic and I think there is a real big market for 20 and 30's women who want to get into small boat racing. My wife stated out on our yacht but wants to go back now and learn the small boat stuff so it's great news for me that she now has an actual interest in the sailing side of things rather than just doing the navigation and weather!

Did you just! Small world.

I have found it a hard road to successfully recruit women specifically as long term sailors, both in keelers and dinghies, but I think a yacht club that offers a good quality learn to sail and training and racing program that is friendly and respectful of both genders (as in offering a class that suits women as well as men, such as the Radial), will do really well. Women do need to be treated a bit differently on boats and given a bit more time to learn, but once we are there we are there.

Archived