Life Jackets

Scotty3934

Do you know in a unconcious state when you hit the water you sink like a stone and don't resurface.
Nope, but then if I'm lying on the bottom of the Tasman Sea will I care?

Agree you would certainly not be on top but left all your friends front gardens. Would you care. You tell me ? - you should.

And if it does happen where do I send the flowers? :sailor: :angel:

I look forward to your reply. :problem: :silent: :sailor:

There are pluses and minuses for either, I would probably go manual if I bought another. Don't trust another layer of complexity that can fail.

Hydrostatic also has manual should the complex system not activate.

The plus would be Hydrostatic would activate quicker and have you on the surface breathing air. The minus would be if one has a broken wrist as a result on going overboard and can't activate the manual mechanism I guess and you would be down would you not. :thumbdown: :arrow: :arrow:

jF we are talking offshore here then the line attached to the boat would save you bacon first and best.

if not attached then agree with above accept if wearing a wetsuit (inshore).

Do you know in a unconcious state when you hit the water you sink like a stone and don't resurface.
Nope, but then if I'm lying on the bottom of the Tasman Sea will I care?

Agree you would certainly not be on top but left all your friends front gardens. Would you care. You tell me ? - you should. Be a bit of a bitch but so be it. Far rather go out that way than gardening at a mates place.

And if it does happen where do I send the flowers? :sailor: :angel: You don't as that is a total waste on so many levels. Knowing you'll gentle cry yourself to sleep at the news of my passing is all I need to know :lol:

The mates with autos have had issues, which at times has left them at sea with no life jacket at all. Sure they are getting better but at the moment I just don't need to have to 'manage' yet more gear.

The hydrostatic would probably give most a false sense of security of all and I'd go that option as last ever choice. They take depth to work so by the time my unconscious body gentle floats down deep enuff it'll be to late. If the switch is set very very shallow to stop that bit above it would bang off at the 1st decent wave, again pointless. Nice idea but I doubt it would be that effective.

jF we are talking offshore here then the line attached to the boat would save you bacon first and best.

if not attached then agree with above accept if wearing a wetsuit (inshore).

Not all ways. Did you read about the guy that was at the helm and attached when a wave hit the boat.

The crew came on deck to find the helm and pedestal and the guy was missing.

He gripped the helm that hard for extra security.

The hydrostatic would probably give most a false sense of security of all and I'd go that option as last ever choice..
:eh: :eh: :eh: :clap: :clap: :clap:

But the hydrostatic is also manual.

It's my first choice with AIS also.

I knew a guy once who was alive , then he died. Absolute proof that being alive leads to death. We should all stop living immediately before we die.
I'd have to concur as I know quite a few people who were alive right up to the very moment they died. Coincidence??? I think knot :lol:

How can you have a manual automatic switch?? Wouldn't that be like having to manually change gears in a car with a auto gearbox?

I was doing a race on a NorthShore38, maybe a Sydney38 it was some AWB 38, in Melbourne a few years back when that exact same pedestal thing happened. Lost it clean over the stern complete with a white knuckled driver still attached. If the 2 cables coming out the bottom had let go we would have lost the lost. Nice hole in the deck and a slow tricky trip home. Twas a tad freaky at just how easy it all seem to break free :?

How can you have a manual automatic switch??

I don't know about hydrostatic, that's a new one on me, but my jacket is auto using the dissolving capsule plus the Manual release, along with being able to manually inflate by mouth if needed.

Wouldn't that be like having to manually change gears in a car with a auto gearbox?

I think that's called Tiptronic....eeerrrr OK I'll shut up now

I knew a guy once who was alive , then he died. Absolute proof that being alive leads to death. We should all stop living immediately before we die.
I'd have to concur as I know quite a few people who were alive right up to the very moment they died. Coincidence??? I think knot :lol:

How can you have a manual automatic switch?? Wouldn't that be like having to manually change gears in a car with a auto gearbox?

I was doing a race on a NorthShore38, maybe a Sydney38 it was some AWB 38, in Melbourne a few years back when that exact same pedestal thing happened. Lost it clean over the stern complete with a white knuckled driver still attached. If the 2 cables coming out the bottom had let go we would have lost the lost. Nice hole in the deck and a slow tricky trip home. Twas a tad freaky at just how easy it all seem to break free :?

who would clip to a pedestal :wtf:

static and manual is easy just like the lifejackets on a plane,

either pull the cord or give the tube a BJ,

...but seriously the manual is a override to the auto release.

So the choices are:

Be knocked unconcious and over the side and have your smart lifejacket inflate (eventually) to (maybe) bring you to the surface so you can regain conciousness only to die a slow, concious death in the middle of the ocean, or ...

Be knocked unconcious and over the side and drown without any pain, stress or struggle.

:wtf:

If you're over the side in the middle of the big ol' blue, concious or not, you're dead meat.

Rule #1 - never leave the boat.

I don't know about hydrostatic, that's a new one on me, but my jacket is auto using the dissolving capsule plus the Manual release, along with being able to manually inflate by mouth if needed.

Wouldn't that be like having to manually change gears in a car with a auto gearbox?

...... except, Wheels, my titpronic changes automatically (speshully when I don't need it to the most)

So that's automatically manual?

I'm confused :crazy: :lol:

Hey OC, as an aside its time to change your signature - the 2012 vintage is well done and dusted. Vines like a little water at the right time so having all the rivers, lakes etc dry up is not going to help, wont help the other primary producers either. Water control is critical to good grapes - take it from me, grew up in the industry with plenty of Intl. Golds and a few trophies under the belt. Pleased I'm no longer in the industry.

You probably want to change it on your Vodafone prepay a/c as well. :wave:

Might be worth people checking their life jackets, I was told the other day by the guy that services our life jackets that most sold in NZ are of the dissolving disc type - reason - the true hydrostatic ones are much more expensive.

The manual activation on an auto inflation jacket is just the toggle you pull to trigger the life jacket to inflate - there is no need to switch between auto and manual.

So the choices are:

Be knocked unconcious and over the side and have your smart lifejacket inflate (eventually) to (maybe) bring you to the surface so you can regain conciousness only to die a slow, concious death in the middle of the ocean, or ...

Be knocked unconcious and over the side and drown without any pain, stress or struggle.

:wtf:

If you're over the side in the middle of the big ol' blue, concious or not, you're dead meat.

Disagree. Did you not see the AIS as extra and also included.

When it comes to life jackets and life rafts you buy the best with all the options covered no matter what the cost. Cut front on whisky, rum and buying feemales drinks and dinner. Hence you will never be dead meat. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Also the wine shows are still some way to go before 2012 AD vintage don't win elite and gold medals.

No rum, no women but a fancy liferaft and a lifejacket with a few extra bells and whistles...........

Priorities wrong way round! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I doubt, MSA, Search and rescue plus a majority on Skippers that run a dry ship and no sex whilst sailing on the high seas and underway, would agree with you. :clap:

I doubt, MSA, Search and rescue plus a majority on Skippers that run a dry ship and no sex whilst sailing on the high seas and underway, would agree with you. :clap:
Doesn't mean they are right though. I also doubt MNZ would have any clues anyway. They still spec manila rope for anchoring system on commercial boats. The last commercial boat I think that used that had a Capt going by the name of James Cook....... who I'm reliable told had a auto lifesaving thingy. If he fell overboard lots of dude automatically jumped in after him :lol:

No sex or drinking while sailing??? that is even more wrong than wearing no lifejacket at all :?

I think we all get your point OC but there is a line where you just have to accept some risk. If it wasn't a manual lifejacket it would only be something else. If anyone is that risk adverse they need every base covered I doubt they could get out of bed in the morning.

No reward without some risk.

When it comes to life jackets and life rafts you buy the best with all the options covered no matter what the cost. Cut front on whisky, rum and buying feemales drinks and dinner. Hence you will never be dead meat.

I never mentioned price at all. Price is not a high priority for safety gear decisions for me.

Thinking that your lifejacket or liferaft, however good they may be, will mean that you'll never be dead meat is, in my opinion, a little naive.

I believe that safety at sea needs to be a multi level protective approach and a lifejacket (automatic inflation or not) is the last line of defence. I'd rather stay on the boat than go in the water and I approach my ocean sailing from that mindset. If I do go in the water, I believe that I have a very, very slim chance of surviving under most conditions in the open ocean (coastal is a slightly different matter). I don't care whether my body is ever recovered or not.

For me and the way I sail and am likely to sail in the foreseeable future an automatically inflating lifejacket is not an advantage over a manually inflating lifejacket. This is something I have thought about in some detail.

Archived