Life Jackets

Scotty3934

Using a beer can seems like flare practice by grabbing a empty dunny roll tube, pointing it upward and saying 'Wooosssshhhhh!! real loudly. But I suppose beer can and possibly even the dunny roll are better than doing nothing, as many do.

:lol: My thoughts exackery. If you can't back yourself / crew to safely perform an MOB drill in controlled conditions with a real person, this whole conversation becomes purely academic.

There are countless life saving learnings associated with such a thing - for both the crew and the man/woman/child in the water.

I might jump in a PADI Dive pool with all my gear on, and see how quick my boots fill up... and how long it takes me to find & pull my inflatey cord while I flail about in the 2cm swell.

I suspect there is a rather large body of information missing from the coastguard story.

It's a good reminder for me. We did lots of MOB practice on the Elliott, until it was a rather slick maneuver to turn and retrieve something we had lost overboard. Our first few attempts were dreadful!

We have not done any practice with RO yet - one unintended when we lost an inspection plate overboard, and could not find it. So, time for practice me thinks. :thumbup:

Thanks.

During the Simrad we lost a hatch over the side. It's about 1' square and white. Had kite up. Was about 20 knots of easterly, and was at flat rock. Lost sight immediately, but didn't want to have to remould a new one. Dropped kite and followed track on handled gps, took 2 goes at back and forward along our path, but found it after 20 mins or so. Didn't have a MOB function or anything, but will keep GPS running more often now, even when not needed.

Great practice for finding and retrieving something.

Would never have found a beer can though :D

Clipper, I saw a fancy thing just yesterday that would be far better then leaving the GPS going. The devise was cunning and you may want to splurge on a couple for those hatches. It'll hit your wallet hard at nearly $2 for 2 but that's the price you have to pay for two 1000mm long bits of string ;)

I might jump in a PADI Dive pool with all my gear on, and see how quick my boots fill up... and how long it takes me to find & pull my inflatey cord while I flail about in the 2cm swell.
Use a wave pool that's going hard. You'll find there is a huge difference between calm seas and angry seas, a HUGE difference. It'll also highlite any gear issues real quick as in missing crutch straps.
Use a wave pool that's going hard. You'll find there is a huge difference between calm seas and angry seas, a HUGE difference. It'll also highlite any gear issues real quick as in missing crutch straps.

Company has gone for the 275 jackets for some of us recently due to the fact that in our area there is often a lot of white water - Matakana Bank being one area - and that is where I could end up if I slip during a transfer.

Clipper, I saw a fancy thing just yesterday that would be far better then leaving the GPS going. The devise was cunning and you may want to splurge on a couple for those hatches. It'll hit your wallet hard at nearly $2 for 2 but that's the price you have to pay for two 1000mm long bits of string ;)

Was on before that race, got in way cruising, untied, now tied back on. But thanks anyway for the advice.... :D

KM give all on us your drill on getting a person front on board. Plus if you where the first in the cockpit with others, to see a crew member going over board and the others did not, knot you, what would be your no 1 job.

Interested and the rest as well.

OC, you really do like to be argumentative don't you...

I'm not saying the story is false, i'm saying there is a lot of information missing from it - ie. conditions, etc... I've done MOB drills in smaller boats, and you don't just lose people in controlled conditions. There are obviously many more facts that make the coastguard story and the outcomes as they were.

OC, you really do like to be argumentative don't you...

I'm not saying the story is false, i'm saying there is a lot of information missing from it - ie. conditions, etc... I've done MOB drills in smaller boats, and you don't just lose people in controlled conditions. There are obviously many more facts that make the coastguard story and the outcomes as they were.

Where oh where did i accuse you, saying you think the story was false.

I'll just say it was definately calm conditions and a protected harbor. Cripes it was the coast guard.

And they nearly lost them. Other wise they would not have commenced the excercise.

They mis calculated how long it would take 4 locate them. It was late afternoon and they should have allowed 4 the unexpected and they did not. They should have commenced earlier or had colored caps on the guys.

Archived