Oracle 72...

Marshy

Bugger! sailing those things in 30Kn is a bit ambitious.

why - ETNZ have proved it can be done in that sort of breeze.

You could be right - It would be interesting to know what the guys who sail it actually think, and how many seconds inattention they are away from disaster in those conditions.

Of course TNZ may want to keep the high limits to keep pressure on those that have only 1 boat (left) and have already destroyed boards and wings... all very interesting.

Still floating upside down and it looks like it will be a mission to bring it back up without damaging the boat majorly.

Video didnt work with embedding. gutted

From SA

SA’er “Jagtek” saw how it went down:

I just happened to pull up the St.FYC webcam about 20 seconds before the capsize. They were coming upwind on port tack a little below the yacht club. They had both hulls in the water like they were taking a breather (sailing relatively slowly). They then accelerated on an upwind point of sail heading towards the middle of the bay. When they turned down through the 'zone of death' with barely any heel, the bows started to dig and spray started flying everywhere. It didn't appear like they were unfurling the Code 0. Even with the jib blown, the boat continued to pitchpole in what seemed like slow motion. It probably took 7 seconds from when the bows dug in until the wing hit the water. I couldn't tell on the webcam if anyone flew directly into the water on impact. One other observation, it did not appear like they were unfurling the Code 0 during the bearaway. Glad to hear everyone was alright! Photo thanks to our friends at Weta.

Doesn't help that they built such a fragile boat (especially when compared to ETNZs) . . .

to be honest, ETNZ wouldn't look much different if you flipped it, you would still end up trashing the wing and towing it back turtled.

The critical bit is not putting it in the piss in the first place...

pushing it hard i bet.

Eye witness said they were stopped before it went over, but just saw video and that person must have been directly fore or aft cos they were moving.

nice editing to save your ass there oyster.

got that wrong in the first attempt aye :roll:

thank god for the edit key post video. :wink:

they were pushing it and very hard- for a boat that should break before the pitch pole (ACCORDING TO SOME) :roll:

That is gutsy stuff and something to make you think seriously about reviewing your health insurance.

pushing it hard i bet.

Eye witness said they were stopped before it went over, but just saw video and that person must have been directly fore or aft cos they were moving.

nice editing to save your ass there oyster.

got that wrong in the first attempt aye :roll:

thank god for the edit key post video. :wink:

they were pushing it and very hard- for a boat that should break before the pitch pole (ACCORDING TO SOME) :roll:

That is gutsy stuff and something to make you think seriously about reviewing your health insurance.

Save my ass, hardly, its what a guy watching from shore saw and posted.

Oyster...

YEAH RIGHTY HO! :lol: :wink: :shh: ... that Guy made me type up stuff to take a swipe at JP with.

Got it! :wink:

considering the first video clearly showed oracle hoofing it !

give me a tui

tui OYSTR

Archived