Fiji to New Zealand crew wanted

liveaboard

From the relevant act:

reward,—

(B) in the definition of the term pleasure craft,—

(i) includes the payment (whether of money or money’s worth and whether directly or indirectly), to or for the benefit of the owner or master of a ship, of a contribution towards the expenses of a voyage by or on behalf of persons, or the owners of cargo, carried on board the ship during the voyage; but

(ii) does not include the payment of any such contributions exclusively by part owners of the ship or by persons engaged as bona fide crew members

That's interesting, now he just needs to remove the word "passenger" from his advertising and he will be OK in NZ.

Fair enough Pete, i'm not up to date on the latest in Fiji really. No doubt the current regime there is gearing up to get more revenue. I'll find out next year when we are back up there with the new boat.

I do take your point though that there is a certain number of under the radar charters operating and it's all fine until someone looses an eye. e.g. someone hits a reef and loss of life occurs and then the investigation etc. I do remember a number of guys operating up there when we were present in Fiji.

All the best will be up your way in a few months so will look you up. I'll PM you.

Putting aside the legal debate, basic supply & demand seems to work OK with respect to who pays what...

These guys charge over $100NZD a day, and don't seem to have trouble getting crew. They seem to do a good job of marketing themselves appropriately, and seem very honest & up front about their costs / perspectives etc... (which is that boat maintenance, sails, depreciation, etc are all costs that can be shared). People can, and do, weigh this up against alternatives, and plenty of people join them. If the referrals are anything to go by, they also seem like nice people (how much would you pay to avoid Captain PITA)

At the other end of the spectrum, I recently met a young chap with only an STCW who was fully paid crew aboard a 50' cruising cat. (and worth it too by the sounds of things).

As a Wannabe crew member, the financial side is a factor, but a lot less important to me than the issues that make a passage - personality match, condition of boat, sails, experience & expectations of skipper, etc...

From his website:

Fees are 35 dollars a day, 245 per week per person, this includes food eaten aboard, fuel , water and all those domestic items like toilet rolls, cooking, oil, cooking gas.

Seems about right.

Seems bloody excessive. He's paying for his boat, not recovering costs. Look a little deeper into the contract.

Pete; Do you pay airfares, meals , and bus, taxi ares to the airport, /and/ or accommodation for crew, whilst they are waiting for a plane to their home port when you are doing a delivery. International conventions and laws state you are liable and must do so. By not paying them you make a larger profit from the delivery. And do you pay airfares to crew to get to the vessel when you are doing a delivery.

Careful who you bag and nit pick with.

By not paying them when you are liable you are increasing your income.

Archived