Name and shame...UPDATE

boatbum

I think you guys are just a bunch of backyard bullies who have nothing better to do than pick on people that are trying to make an honest living to feed their families! Did anyone stop to ask whether Boatbum actually got a written signed quote for $13,000, or whether he had a signed contract for the same. You must realise that boats are a luxury item, they are not a necessity and if you cannot afford to pay for repairs on them then you shouldn't have one. The boatbuilder in question has no doubt has been burnt many times by people who want something for nothing! Big deal if it takes six weeks to do the job, I would think that is a dam good timeframe in the boating industry. I bet that boatbuilder slaves away seven days a week dealing with all the crap that goes along with people like boatbum instead of actually getting the job done!

sniff..sniff....big sniffffffffffff........I smell a sock puppet

$41,000 for six weeks worth of work?

$6,000+ per week

Someone is being taken for a ride.

This quote clearly does not make sense - Boatbum believed the job to take 2 weeks therefore that would be $6,500 a week. Anyway its not about the time it takes to do a job, its about the quality. How can it be justified that the workmanship was shoddy until the project was complete, that's like saying 'the builders who build your new home did a shoddy job because it wasn't finished when they requested you pay a progress payment'.

Verbal quotes are rubbish! as some of the posts state, to protect himself he should have a signed contract (and made sure he read it first). You can't win a court case without the hard facts. Saying there was a verbal quote in place simply does not cut the mustard now does it! its your word against the boat builders.

Obviously my comments have been twisted around to mean something they are not!

What did my dad always tell me, oh yeah......

"TO ASSUME IS MAKE AN ARSE OUT OF ME AND YOU!"

I'm done!

No twisting going on, just untangling.

You really shouldn't start something you can't finish sweetie....or is that a family trait?

The only one making an arse of themselves is you,and a rather large one at that...also hereditary?.

Verbal quotes are rubbish! .

I'm picking its not so easy getting a respectable industry reputation with that sort of mindset.

Ok Morspeed, so your saying its 'OK' if my barrister gave me a verbal quote for say $5,000 and then sent me a bill for $10,000 even though the job was not yet complete.

Would it then be 'OK' for me to say 'get stuffed! I ain't paying that!, I got a quote of $5,000!'

GET REAL!

They would tell you where to stick it and send you to the debt collectors!

And if you want to get personal then be it! that just shows what kind of person YOU ARE!

Great, I've got my pop corn, I want to hear what TrinaD has to say.

Lets hope the editor is out for dinner and this thread can run its course before it gets deleted.

Keep it coming TrinaD, don't let this gang intimerdate you :thumbup:

Verbal quotes are rubbish! .

Yea so these were your words remember?.

I'm picking its not so easy getting a respectable industry reputation with that sort of mindset.

Ok Morspeed, so your saying its 'OK' if my barrister gave me a verbal quote for say $5,000 and then sent me a bill for $10,000 even though the job was not yet complete.

Ah...no ...your'e the one suggesting this scenario :wtf:

Would it then be 'OK' for me to say 'get stuffed! I ain't paying that!, I got a quote of $5,000!'

GET REAL!

They would tell you where to stick it and send you to the debt collectors!

I would be a little more diplomatic than that..but hey...what ever works for you right :thumbup:

I don't know anybody who would be "Sent" to a debt collector and turn up..how about you?. :crazy:

And if you want to get personal then be it! that just shows what kind of person YOU ARE!

I am the sort of person who communicates with my contractors and expects the same back..the sort of person who just recently spent 12 k with marine contractors based all on verbal quotes and good communication throughout and in the end all three contractors invoiced me for precisely the original verbal quotes.

What sort of contractor are you?.

if my barrister gave me a verbal quote for say $5,000 and then sent me a bill for $10,000 even though the job was not yet complete.

Well it's interesting that you've chosen that particular scenario to make your point, since my lawyer actually did give me an indicative quote of $5000 verbally (well via email actually) just a few weeks ago for some work I need to get done.

And what was the outcome? He got to the first major deliverable (which represents most of the work) and then said to me ok we've actually already spent a little over $5,000. As a courtesy to you we'll cap our fees for the work to date at $5k, and if you wish to go forward with the rest of it, that will be charged at our regular hourly rate.

Am I excited about spending more that I initially budgeted? - not so much. But I fully respect the fact that he told me what the situation was at the earliest point at which it made sense for him to stop, and then gave me the option of continuing on or not. Unfortunately that doesn't seem much like the approach the BB has taken in this case.

Motorbike you are correct, but I think the discussion is not about the actual job as such, but (apart from the description of the job in the original post) more the attitude and that certain things which are basically unethical took place. And with these two posters (Whetu and TrinaD) it is obvious that some attitudes in the industry are far from Professional and have no idea of the Law.

You are exactly right. If this BB had any scrupples he would make a statement answering his critics and clear the names of other BB in the area instead he has his family making naive statements on his behalf.

Come clean man and stop hiding behind a womens skirt.

I still don't know who this lovable rascal is.... 8)

It might appear to be that way Motorbike, but this is not just a case of "person A having a bitch at person B"

Without saying too much, i am certainly not alone in this situation with this particular BB, and it appears that he has been operating this way for years.

So the reason for raising this post is not about airing dirty laundry, it's to inform and hopefully protect others from the same fate.

I certainly would have been grateful if i had read a similar thread to this before pulling out there....

This whole thing is very interesting Boatbum....from what I understand you knew exactly who the 'said' boatbuilder was before they undertook repairs to your boat so why on earth did you decide to use their service?......a bit silly really isn't it.....

Archived