Yacht in trouble

Fish

Oh OK.

About 35kts of wind. Sea state is easing, but they (don't know who exactly) reckoned it was 10m seas.

The thing with the cost of S&R is that we have to do it as part of us having durisdiction over the waters we do. It is an international responsibility. That was the reason why MNZ wanted to make Cat1 a requirement for anyone leaving NZ no matter what port of reg.

The life raft the Orions drop are mega dollar expensive.

YNZ has two boats under the name Windigo, a Townsen 32 with a sail number indicating its fairly old, and a Raven 38 "Windigo 2" K 9080, indicating it is fairly recent. I know nothing about a Raven 38 but the size is similar to the boat in trouble...

UK reproting:

sent out an SOS on Wednesday after their vessel rolled over in 70mph winds 435 miles south west of Tonga

NZ reporting:

The yacht, which left Tonga about two days ago, was 1260km northeast of New Zealand in 75kmh winds.

I've been watching the south pacific weather this week because I thought my mates were leaving Noumea around this date. As it happens they're hanging on a bit.

At Monday that low didn't really exist and there wasn't much to show that it was going to deepen like it did. Or at least, as much as it did.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they missed seeing it. Admittedly I wasn't particularly focused in that area but I did backtrack the forecast a day or two once I saw it out to the north east of NZ, my recollection is that it only formed up late tues or even wed on the isobar maps, enough for me to comment that it was nasty looking little bugger that came out of nowhere.

It'd be very interesting to hear a met guys opinion on it actually.

It ain't tiddly wnks eh.

Bob McDavitt picked it and warned people to avoid. It was on top of us Monday but not much wind except one nasty squall then gathered momentum towards Fiji. Metvuw was also showing it quite clearly.

is looking like it may end up an abandon ship story.... sad...one would have thought the Orion would have established by VHF if the boat had a liferaft onboard before dropping two down....but details obviously v sketchy...

I could say what I really feel about the push-button "come and get me I'm scared" type of modern offshore sailing - but I can't be bothered - they end up in bitter butt-hurt arguments for and against - much like politics and religion.

But I will say this - I hope they do at least one good act of seamanship and deliberately sink their yacht before getting on board whatever rescue vessel, so that it is not a danger to navigation floating about unmanned.

Pwederell,

Can you please be more specific. Date Mc Davitt picked it and date gave warning and where.

Thanks Mate:

Surely it would show forming as they usually do. If in doubt stay in port untill doubt is relieved.

No SSSB OR Sat Ph.

OC.

04 November 2012

BOBGRAM issued 4 Nov 2012

WEATHERGRAM

YOTREPS

Issued 4 Nov 2012

Bob McDavitt's ideas for sailing around the South Pacific.

Disclaimer: Weather is a mix of pattern and chaos; these ideas are from the patterned world of weather maps, so please fine-tune to your place. Dates are in UTC unless otherwise stated.

The Atmosphere: The Southern Oscillation Index or SOI (30 day running mean) is relaxing after a bounce back from its low of -1.01 back on 25 Aug. It has been hovering around plus 0.2 to 0.3 during October, and was 0.4 on 4 November. It's now in neutral mode.

Tropical cyclones in the Northern Hemisphere have quietened down since SON-TINH and SANDY. There is a tropical depression between Mexico and Hawaii called ROSA but it is just likely to go west and fade.

South Pacific Convergence Zone SPCZ

The South Pacific Convergence Zone SPCZ has slowly intensified during the past week and is mainly stretching from Solomons to northern Vanuatu to north of Fiji, with another clump along 10S between Northern Cooks and Marquesas.

Late Tuesday a tropical low is likely to form near Fiji and then deepen rapidly and move southeast across southern Tonga/Minerva possibly with gales and then go off the SSE. Avoid. It might earn itself a name as cyclone number 1 for the South Pacific season 2012/13.

SUBTROPICAL RIDGE STR

The new high crossing the Tasman One today should be held in place aloft and take all week to cross New Zealand. This offers a good opportunity to anyone wanting to sail to NZ - but those sailing from Tonga should already have left in order to escape the Wednesday Low.

NZ/Tasman Sea

Low is expected to form off Sydney on Friday 9 November and its trough should cross NZ on Monday/Tuesday 12/13 Nov.

SAILING TO NORTHERN NZ.

This week is probably the busiest of the year foe NZ arrivals, and we are having a high, so that's good.

The hard weather is at your departure zone. If you are in Tonga you'll now need to wait for that Wednesday low to blow through and the swells to settle again, maybe 10 November, so not this week. If you are in Brisbane the easterly winds are against you. If you are in New Caledonia then time your departure to make best use of the SW winds following the low crossing NZ on 12/13 November. If you are in Fiji there are many options.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One thing that sailors heading for New Zealand over the next week or two may want to consider is the total solar eclipse on the new moon on 14 November. Its track is roughly WNW to ESE on a line north of NZ. Timing your voyage to catch is will be complicated, but imagine the kudos.

For more info http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2012. ... 2012Nov13T

I don't know how to access metvuw archives but it was showing a deep low with 40-50 knots in the Minerva area for Wed-Thurs. Forecast was from last Sunday pm.

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/news/medi ... 21109b.asp

9 November 2012: 09.55am

The two injured people from the damaged yacht Windigo are safely aboard the cargo ship Chengtu after a rescue just before 9am this morning.

Search and Rescue Mission Coordinator Keith Allen from the Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ) said heaving lines were lowered from the cargo vessel to the damaged yacht and the 52-year-old British man and the 43-year-old Auckland woman pulled aboard.

Both people aboard the Windigo sustained mild to moderate head injuries after their 11.6m yacht rolled after leaving Tonga two days ago 700km southwest of Tonga and 1260km northwest of New Zealand. The man has also suffered a back injury. None of the injuries are believed to be serious.

The pair’s medical condition will be assessed and the Chengtu will now head south to rendezvous with the Navy vessel HMNZS Otago late this afternoon.

Mr Allen paid tribute to the efforts of the Chengtu, the yacht Adventure Bound, which has also been on-site overnight, and the Royal New Zealand Air Force, which provided a P3-Orion that made three trips to the stricken yacht providing the only communications link. A French naval plane also made two trips from Noumea to the scene.

“This is the outcome we have been working towards since the emergency beacon was activated on Wednesday afternoon. It is the result of an excellent coordinated effort involving the RNZAF, which provided a link for the two people on the Windigo when there was no other means of contact, and I would also like to express my appreciation to the captain of the Chengtu and the crew of the Adventure Bound for their efforts.”

You must also keep in mind that just because we have access to this weather info doesn't mean that everyone does.

How every it does point out that the info was available

We left from New Cal 10 days ago and there were a lot of boats right through to Tonga planning departures.

Megwyn, Google yotrep and go to the pangolin website, you can sign up and automatically get Bob Mc Davitts weekly (approx) weather predictions. Well worth it. Only good though when you are cruising if you have all the electronic fruit to enable you to download it.

We spent 3 months, Tonga / Fiji and back to NZ without having access to that sort of data, BUT we did find Gulf harbour Radio 8752.0 daily weather reports fantastic, Clear as a bell most of the time whereas Russell Radio and Opua Radio were often very weak or non existant.

Archived