Yacht in trouble

Fish

Question: Does maritime NZ or any other body investigate these incidents?

As it been pointed out here, there is considerable taxpayers money being spent, so what lessons need to be learnt?

Okay we have pointed out weather, what about experience of the crew? They must have had a bit to be two handed. What exactly happened at the time of the roll over, were they hand steering, george steering, or even hove to?

It would be good to establish some facts, whether or not the crew are interested or not??

Megwyn, Google yotrep and go to the pangolin website, you can sign up and automatically get Bob Mc Davitts weekly (approx) weather predictions. Well worth it. Only good though when you are cruising if you have all the electronic fruit to enable you to download it.

We spent 3 months, Tonga / Fiji and back to NZ without having access to that sort of data, BUT we did find Gulf harbour Radio 8752.0 daily weather reports fantastic, Clear as a bell most of the time whereas Russell Radio and Opua Radio were often very weak or non existant.

Stev do they have a web site.

Do you have to be a member with a sub.

If not a member do they expect a donation for using there service.

Thanks.

Megwyn, Google yotrep and go to the pangolin website, you can sign up and automatically get Bob Mc Davitts weekly (approx) weather predictions. Well worth it. Only good though when you are cruising if you have all the electronic fruit to enable you to download it.

We spent 3 months, Tonga / Fiji and back to NZ without having access to that sort of data, BUT we did find Gulf harbour Radio 8752.0 daily weather reports fantastic, Clear as a bell most of the time whereas Russell Radio and Opua Radio were often very weak or non existant.

Do you have the website url to their weathergram service

It use to be

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/yotreps/weathergram.asp

But has changed - can't find it.

Thanks.

Wow - that isobar map is awesome!

I went to the Pangolin site, and could not see where I go to sus out the forcast info . . .

Any further clues?

Darkside- how much was it to subscribe?

Thanks

M

As it been pointed out here, there is considerable taxpayers money being spent, so what lessons need to be learnt?

Okay we have pointed out weather, what about experience of the crew? They must have had a bit to be two handed. What exactly happened at the time of the roll over, were they hand steering, george steering, or even hove to?

It would be good to establish some facts, whether or not the crew are interested or not??

Good question - but this thread seems to have drifted off into discussion on 'weathegrams' and such stuff. :crazy:

Good question - but this thread seems to have drifted off into discussion on 'weathegrams' and such stuff. :crazy:

Thats probably because there is no posters re the yacht with additional news or info.- they have been rescued , which kills alot on interest - or apart from the tight group the others are to scared to make a posting in fear on being bullied.

Can't blame them.

Care to make a posting re the yacht and it's present status.

My 2c so far...

Weather can change quickly, and access to good data can be tricky. For example, I had detailed weather info from Gulf Harbour radio, 8 day Gribs, and reasonably current weather faxes (Fax recieved over SSB), and I was still very surprised when we had consistent 30knots one night about half way between Tonga & NZ. Our recent weather info led us to believe it would be a very quiet night!

I heard about possible cyclonic activity starting up over Fiji, and the advice given on Friday to those in Minerva was to leave by Mon/Tues.

My observation was that the yachties were all quite focussed on picking the weather 'right' and usually had 8-day weather from grib files and we would share both current and forecast information between us (via SSB).

(The internet is an expensive luxury)

The media seems to sensationalize what is going on quite heavily. Maybe there is structural failure, and she really is going down. I can't figure out what the plan is for the boat - I can only hope it is also being rescued somehow. The one I just arrived on was uninsured - the live-aboard owner explaining that it was uneconomical for live-aboards...

Another observation for me is that live-abords, cruisers and racers are quite different creatures. A knock-down in the harbour on a Y88 with a race crew has quite a different psycological impact than a 'roll' in the pacific ocean on a cruiser with Hal & Mary, the semi retired couple from Yutah.

Im also a little disturbed by some of the very unsympathetic and callous comments being made - particularly in the absence of facts. Its real easy to say 'harden up', and 'be better prepared' from the cozy confines of our lounge chairs.

I've been impressed by the speed and substance of the response from the various outfits involved in S&R, and I'm glad that my taxes and membership/s are helping to save lives at sea.

Edit: PS Knot Me, if you're gonna go out there and get her, I wanna come!

I'm guessing Wannabe that some of the comments are being made without experience of having been out there in the middle of nowhere and having stuff happen. As you say, there is a big difference between harbour or even coastal sailing and being out in the middle of the ocean.

It would appear that they where extremely lucky. It would appear that they had no SSB or Life raft.

Thats worse than not having your lights on while driving at night and not wearing your set belt whilst driving on the open highway and speeding to boot..

It would appear that they where extremely lucky. It would appear that they had no SSB or Life raft.

Thats worse than not having your lights on while driving at night and not wearing your set belt whilst driving on the open highway and speeding to boot..

Think about it OC, the boat has been rolled. The mast wont be where it normally is, holding up the SSB antenae on the backstay...

Media reports from MRSCC stated they did have a liferaft onboard.

Stev do they have a web site.

Do you have to be a member with a sub.

If not a member do they expect a donation for using there service.

Thanks.

Spelling now good OC! :wtf: and Grammer spot on.

Archived