Yacht in trouble

Fish

It would appear that they where extremely lucky. It would appear that they had no SSB or Life raft.

Thats worse than not having your lights on while driving at night and not wearing your set belt whilst driving on the open highway and speeding to boot..

Think about it OC, the boat has been rolled. The mast wont be where it normally is, holding up the SSB antenae on the backstay...

Media reports from MRSCC stated they did have a liferaft onboard.

The Mast - Not necessarily.

Cripes I wasn't suggesting they use the SSB after they have rolled but could have sourced weather reports before they rolled or even changed course once they determined from the SSB weather reports or e-mail notices with weather, which contain weather warnings. Even contacted Russel radio for the latest - got advice about the best course to steer to avoid the thing - got info how far infront on them it was and what dirrection it was tracking and tracking speed.

I did say It would appear -I did not say they did not.

I don't watch media TV.

If they had a life raft on board then why did S&R have to drop another. Insecurely tide, positioned in the wrong place?

Search and rescue must have an oversupply of life rafts they seem to drop them as a matter of form. Whether the folk on board could secure it?? It would probably be difficult / impossible given the size of the seas, injuries suffered, and the fact that it would be very hard to get to given all the above, unless it was dropped on top of them.

I did note that on the evening news, the picture they showed of Windigo, the mast was still up and there was no sign of the dropped life raft.

The media may not have reported that right. They have two canisters that can be dropped. The first one has communications and various other things in it. The other is a raft. Both are mega expensive and don't normally get recovered.

OC I'm not poking, I'm correcting your lack of facts.

You are making two significant assumptions, that they didn't have access to weather forecasts, and didn't have a life raft when they did, and using that to make some fairly strong defamatory aspersions as to the responsibility of the skipper, I.e driving on a motorway with his lights off etc.

It would appear you are ticking along at low revs with some nice shinny lures trailing out behind your boat, just waiting for a bit. Which is fun, I guess it keeps the ratings up.

And I don't have a TV, so I guess we're even on the media bollocks front. I have to read yours instead.

It would appear you are ticking along at low revs with some nice shinny lures trailing out behind your boat, just waiting for a bit. Which is fun, I guess it keeps the ratings up.
Nope, she does believe what she posts and doesn't read things 1st or she would have known there was a raft on the boat and it was communication issues that lead the AF to believe they had no raft hence the dropping of one which got grabbed by the wind and then the 2nd that suffered the same fate.
A 4 engine turboprop uses about $9,000 in fuel an hour. .

Any chance you can substantiate those numbers with facts relevant to the P3 Orion?

It was a figure bandied about not long ago. Might have been running costs? :roll: Either way, I wouldn't want the bill!!

It was a figure bandied about not long ago. Might have been running costs? :roll: Either way, I wouldn't want the bill!!

Well it's good to see that after this good honest sailing couple have just been through a serious, life threatening, and no doubt life changing situation, all the detractors on this site can base their critism on good sound facts and measured reason.

My Nan always told me, if I didn't know my arse from my elbow, I would be best to keep my trap shut.

The question remains of why they sailed when they did. I struggle to believe they had no access to reliable wx info in today's age. The cruising fleet in the SP is renowned for it's analysis of weather to the point of analysis paralysis, especially at this time of year. If however they chose to eschew the "modern" luxuries of good weather forecasts then they would need to be sure of their heavy weather preparation and seamanship to be able to deal with situations that arose.

All my politically correct words above basically equate to me saying they were stupid. Glad they're alive though.

Great clip. You should read te book Meg, it'll put you off for life :lol: :lol: :lol:

My favourite part is after the 2nd? pitchpole, the cabin top is ripped off and Smeeton is thinking they will surely drown. He looks below and Guzwell is sharpening his saws. Asked whay he replied " well if we are going to fix this I want to do a good job, and you can't do a good job without sharp tools."

Also noted in teh clip

1) no lifelines

2) no auto pilot or wind vane

3) but the twins tacked to the foredeck which makes the boat steer itself.

Tallowing the sheets? I guess they were hemp sheets?

Off topic but use to tallow running rigging where it had contact with edges of blocks, other rigging, it works as lubrication and reduces chaff - used to do the rig rounds at least once a watch with tallow bucket, canvas strips (old sail torn up) and rotten cotton.

I would also go around after wearing ship or tacking to remove old chaff gear and fit new.

That was on a square rigged vessel.

It seems to me there have been a lot of instances lately of people getting off perfectly good boats. As far as the injuries go it would also seem to me that slowing down in rough weather will help to reduce the chance of getting hurt.

PS I have done quite a bit of offshore so do have some idea.

Also with forecasts as good as they are these days avoiding bad weather should not be too difficult.

A good read is Beryl Smeeton's book "High Endeavours".

OC I'm not poking, I'm correcting your lack of facts.

You are making two significant assumptions, that they didn't have access to weather forecasts, and didn't have a life raft when they did, and using that to make some fairly strong defamatory aspersions as to the responsibility of the skipper, I.e driving on a motorway with his lights off etc.

And I don't have a TV, so I guess we're even on the media bollocks front. I have to read yours instead.

Not according 4 this morning news paper report and pic. Not making any assumptions. She stated they where sailing 4 a number on perfect days then suddenly they had 36knts winds and rising seas. It would appear they did not take or read the sea on the sudden worsening conditions and short handed in the official cyclone season in the cyclone zone. They must have seen it comming from a distance though, even if they did not get a weather report via Russell radio or gulf harbor radio by communicating direct or as pwederell and myself have stated by other means, which are numerous, you do not sail the cyclone zone during the official zone season and take unnecessary risks by sailing blind and short handed. Myself saying they where sailing blind is an assumption but thats the only conclusion I can come 4. Time to set a parachute anchor or change course away from the advancing weather. Had time to take a pic on her man on the helm though. Study the pic. Fairly large seas with breaking crests. What grabs you. pwederrell comment - stupid - or inexperienced.

Inexperienced and stupid, I say again they should have set sail early October.

The Picture --- They are beam on. No wonder they rolled.

Anyway a few hours on board there rescuers vessel and a cup on coffee they where joval people according 4 medics.

I make these comments with slight trepidation, knowing how easy it is to be an armchair sailor making comments, given often inaccurate and incomplete info via media. But....

Inexperienced and stupid, I say again they should have set sail early October.

Yes but.....I don't think 35kts is particularly anything you couldn't have out there at anytime of the year. So although there is a greater risk at this time of year, I don't think the timing has been unkind either.

To take the 35kts part a step further, you can't get 10m seas in 35kts out there. Maybe in rips around our coast, but not way out there. So some seriously strong winds must have been somewhere, but that still does not cause 10m seas steep enough to roll a boat in 35kts of wind. So I am scratching my head to understand what has gone on.

Archived