Weather nowcast on the Net

MrWolf

So, if you are on the boat you can get a nowcast on channel 21.

With your cell phone if you dial 9463 (Wind) and text the letter "A" you get all the current wind figures for about 10 sites around Auckland, but it costs roughly $2.00 per time.

Are there any comparable sites available on the net ? Preferrably free ?

With your cell phone if you dial 9463 (Wind) and text the letter "A" you get all the current wind figures for about 10 sites around Auckland, but it costs roughly $2.00 per time.

If you're a Coastguard member you can get your phone number registered with them and then I think it is something like the first 50 a year texts a year are free, other than your standard 20c cost.

Is there a web site that can show what the wind peak, Average speed & direction (same as on Now Casting Ch21) but for the past, 24 hours :?: days :?: week :?:

e.g. What was the wind last Saturday :?: In Squaddy race, start was delayed for lack of wind, and was generally light for the whole race. Our biggest gust was about 25 to 30 whilst still in the marina with the heavy rain. So we decided #3 would be a good choice. 20 minutes later, out in the harbour we changed to #1 and drifted.

During the race, there was a really big black rain cloud down over Passage Rock area. So it would be nice to know if any of the gusts there, reached the forecast "Gusting 60knots" as in the 11:06am MetService forecast. Ok we had nothing, but perhaps other places experienced the forecast 25 or 50nm away.

Other times, it would be nice to see the data (graphs) for the week.

Coastguard have nothing, not even pictures of the reporting locations on their website.

e.g. Where exactly is the wind recorded at Tutukaka? Raglan? Kaipara?

Great Mercury Island?

Anybody know?

weather underground is a good site it has data from both govt/airport and private weather stations. the data is searchable by month, week, day and has recorded peaks

If you're a Coastguard member you can get your phone number registered with them and then I think it is something like the first 50 a year texts a year are free, other than your standard 20c cost.

Its a good deal and useful if you're in a rush and dont have internet on iphone etc

e.g. Where exactly is the wind recorded at Tutukaka? Raglan? Kaipara?

Great Mercury Island?

Anybody know?

I can answer one of those - the weather equipment is right next to the lighthouse on the northern headland of Tutukaka so from a lot of angles it is influenced by the breeze running up the cliff.

Fantastic walk up there if any of you are ever up, let me know, good excuse for a beer afterwards.

Good topic too, surprising that the nowcasting data is available on text and yet not on the web. Add my vote for swellmap.com, takes a bit of getting used to the way it is set up but I have found it pretty good for accuracy.

We use all 50 each year, very handy.

weather underground is a good site it has data from both govt/airport and private weather stations. the data is searchable by month, week, day and has recorded peaks

Yes indeed and most have really good presentations.

Unfortunately they are knot always the same ones as now casting and that Met Service use. However happy to look again and make up a personal useful list.

Archived