2 drowned Boaties

wheels

I think it needs to be compulsory as well, but only for small run about type boats. But then, how do you police it. Or do you just wait for an incident like this and then throw the book at the skipper???

Comments made by or to Media re the weather was that you have to get the latest Weather update. But dang, it wasn't like it started off calm and the wind suddenly picked up. These guys somehow made it all the way out to between Waiheke and Motuhei in that gale. How they got there I don't know, how they were going to get home again bets me, but why they actually went that far in those conditions just leaves me speachless.

Make it compulsory and all that will happen is a lot of good everyday people will become criminals, nothing more.

Look at the drownings, how many are off boats used in the way everyone here and most, if knot all, of their mates do? Sweet f*ck all. Most are caused by fuckwits being fuckwits doing dumb sh*t. Make all the laws you like but they will knot stop fuckwits doing dumb sh*t, that has been well proven so many times it's beyond ridiculous.

Stop all this regulation crap, everyone knows most is a total waste of time so why bother. Especially the more religious of you out there, you should know far better than the heathens that sh*t has been specifically designed to happen.

Just saw a clip on the box:

A fizz boat with four people on board, but only 2 life jackets. When questioned, the skipper replied "Error in judgement today, we left it at home." He then proceeded to head out - breaking the law in front of the camera.

So, who is there to police the laws anyway?

What good is it making the wearing of life jackets compulsory, when there is already a law stating that there should be a life jacket on board for each person, and that is blatantly ignored?

Yeah !!! but the skipper drowned so already prosecuted.

Wrong. The skipper survived.

Gee that's a surprise, Jacaranda sounding off with opinion that bears absolutely no relation to fact. Obviously he doesn't seem to worry about being informed, for him simply being opinionated is sufficient to motivate him to open his fetid trap and spew forth more misinformed crap. Well done sir! Predictable as ever.

I see a job opportunity... Water police, say a bit like the US Coastguard do. IN a big rib like what ETNZ use as a chase boat for the AC72. A bunch of macho guys running around shitting on the usually sensible people and fining the sh*t out of them for minor misdemeanours. It would pay for itself and then some! Imagine all the money you could earn the government, as there will always be enough dumbarses out there to fund it.

"...Hey you! Pull over! Boat inspection. OK that's a $500 fine for not having flares, $1000 fine for not enough lifejackets, $1000 fine for each of the 7 people not wearing one, Yes that's right you have to pay cos you're the skipper and it's your responsibility. What does that mean? Google it. Do you have a VHF operators license? No? $500 for not having a VHF operators license, Oh, you don't have a VHF? $500 for no VHF, Come to think of it can I see your boat drivers license? $1000 fine for no license. Can I see your car drivers license? Oh, you don't have one of those either? $1000 fine for driving the car that towed the boat to the ramp. No rego on the car either? $500...

Yeah I could enjoy that job...

Gee that's a surprise, Jacaranda sounding off with opinion that bears absolutely no relation to fact. Obviously he doesn't seem to worry about being informed, for him simply being opinionated is sufficient to motivate him to open his fetid trap and spew forth more misinformed crap. Well done sir! Predictable as ever.

Are you saying Jacaranda is... Yet another... Surely not...

Gee Grinna, now I don't know which way to turn, port or STARBOARD, you're a Crafty 1 you are. Did you come down in the last shower or did you arrive recently into Port? If you keep telling lies I'll have to get the Bullcrap Police onto you... :shock:

Gee Grinna, now I don't know which way to turn, port or STARBOARD, you're a Crafty 1 you are. Did you come down in the last shower or did you arrive recently into Port? If you keep telling lies I'll have to get the Bullcrap Police onto you... :shock:

I smell something in the "SUMMER BREEZE" AA :wink:

I would be very curious to know if the per-capita drowning rate in the Islands is as high as among the Pasifika community resident in NZ.

I remember hearing some expert say after that last Manukau tragedy that P.I. folk aren't usually strong swimmers. Something to do with the amount of sharks in their home waters, which means they tend to keep to the shallows. They also don't use boats much.

Perhaps that makes some sense, except that most of the islanders I know (and I live and work amongst a lot of them) were raised and educated here.

I'd be interested to know whether these drownings are generational, ie are the "skippers" all raised in the islands and new-ish to NZ, as opposed to the second and subsequent generation. If they are, it could help explain them not knowing the law, and indeed, the dangers of small boats, especially if their english is very poor.

noooooooo we absolutely do not want water police over here.

haven't you all seen the sydney water police breath testing yachties after racing on tv, shocking behaviour. If that happens over here suddenly it becomes about revenue gathering and its goodbye to our nice rum races or a beer on the down wind.

Skipper prosecution is the way to go. remember the tinny a couple of years ago where they forgot to put the bungs in, pissed up in the cockpit and at 3am the boat flooded, capsized and killed their kids asleep in the cabin.

The skipper is responsible for all those onboard and must be prosecuted if they are negligent, end of story.

Licensing and policing will only make the 95 % of responsible boaties suffer because of these cretins.

I was dissappointed that the skipper didn't do humanity a favour by removing his genes from the gene pool.

http://www.watersafety.org.nz/news/late ... year-high/

The above report (2011) is interesting - no mention of PI being over represented in the stats. Maori slightly more than their % of the population plus people of Asian descent get mentioned.

Also interesting the way they break the figures down into recreational, non recreational and other.

123 drownings, only 66 recreational. Of that 66, swimming and snorkelling/diving took out 30 of us, shore based fishing & power boating took out 11.

Well done some one.

Anyway, In all my years of Waterwise and kiddy teaching the only parents who have said 'No my kids can't participate' have been well tanned NZers and there has only been a small handfull. There was on Asian family but they were new and thought we were feeding the kids to the local wildlife but once they realised we weren't they were more than happy to let the kids (2 off) participate. The parents were funny though as they had obviously never seen anything even close to Waterwise do spent a couple of session sitting on the beach looking like possums in the headlights. Their 2 kids loved ever bit of it.

What is startling about that information is the failure to monitor children , and teach them how to swim.
But those very tiny few except, ever single school kid from Takapuna south to Devonveg gets to have a crack at sailing an Opti and paddling a Canoe but that is after every single kid swims the length of Taka Grammar School pool (33mts) without touching the bottom and then also gets taken out 100mts odd of narrow neck beach and thrown in the water to smiw back to lad. They are wearing lifejackets, it is knot a race and style isn't as important as just getting there even if doing it ugly and slowly. You can easily see it builds confidence in and around water.

Devo Waterwise has 3 rubber duckies (Jonos Sth Pacs), 12 plastic Optis and 20 odd canoes plus a motherload of lifejackets and wetsuits. It is staffed by volunteer 'Instructors' (parents who have done a 2 day simple course) and parent helpers and the teacher/s of the classes doing the session. All the gear was paid for by coin from ASB Charity, the local Regional Council and local businesses.

Each of the local 10 schools get 1/2 day each.

One very tenacious lady got all that going. Why doesn't every area have the same sort of thing?

There are also Waterwise programmes from Campbells Bay north with a numberof schools in the ECB area participating. When we kicked the Torbay scheme off in 1986 there were five member schools. It's a great programme and lots of fun for the kids (and helpers).

There are also Waterwise programmes from Campbells Bay north with a numberof schools in the ECB area participating. When we kicked the Torbay scheme off in 1986 there were five member schools. It's a great programme and lots of fun for the kids (and helpers).

Yep, I'm an instructor at Pupuke which is attended by Taka, Milford, Forrest Hill and Campbells Bay primaries as well as the Taka intermediate and Carmel College.

There are programmes across the otherside of Auckland as well, lots of schools involved, although probably a lot more that aren't http://www.waterwise.org.nz/index.php/schools

Archived