End of Year Rum Race

Of course

Just hit 60 entries - nice

And I have just got off the phone with the nice Mount Gay Lady - the first 150 people through the door get a free tasting of Mount Gay Extra Old (the REALLY good stuff!!!)

Of course

Just hit 60 entries - nice

And I have just got off the phone with the nice Mount Gay Lady - the first 150 people through the door get a free tasting of Mount Gay Extra Old (the REALLY good stuff!!!)

THAT IS SO ME :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

AFU, calling times out over VHF (channel yet to be decided) is one innovation I suggested to his Squiddliness for this years starting procedure.

Of course the sailing instructions (which nobody reads anyway) bang on about raising and lowering of flags every minute for the 55 minute starting sequence. We tossed that idea out the window about 3 years ago and went to dangling number boards out the windows of the start tower with a hooter at each minute (timed from the GPS) .... but the SIs haven't been updated yet (good things take time ;) ).

Is there a preferred VHF channel for calling times? Maybe Ch 6 or 8?

I love it when a plan comes together.

Ch 77 it is. Tune in for the dulcet tones of his Squidliness or similar doing a speaking clock impersonation.

We'll also be dangling large number boards out the start tower windows to signify the minutes with a hooter to mark each minute (for the entire 55 minute starting sequence).

BTW, did everyone read in the SIs about the item of womens underwear flying from the backstay as a class flag? :)

Hi everyone, 82 entries so far which I think may be a record for us.

This year we will be running three courses which we've given the very unimaginative names of short, middle and long course.

Short Course: From the start rounding Orakei Buoy to port, Torpedo Buoy to port and then to the finish, approx 7nm

Middle course: from the Start rounding Bayswater Buoy to starboard, Resolution Buoy to port, Torpedo Buoy to port, passing north of Westhaven Buoy (ODM), through the central span of the harbour bridge, roundingRona Buoy to starboard, Bayswater Buoy to starboard and to the finish, approx 8.6nm

Long course: From the start rounding Stanley Buoy to starboard, Orakei Buoy to port, Northhead Buoy to port, passing to the north of Westhaven Buoy (ODM), through the central span of the harbour bridge, rounding Chelsea Buoy to starboard, Bayswater Buoy to starboard and to the finish, approx 11.7nm

The finish line is defined as a line from Westhaven tower to the outer distance mark (ODM). Note that unlike previous years, boats finishing to the north of the ODM will be scored DNF.

Also note for boats who's course takes them under the harbour bridge, please pass the ODM to the north, ie, do not cross through the finish line until finishing.

The start is also defined as a line from the Westhaven Tower to the outer distance mark. Start times shall be signalled with number boards on the tower and we will endeavour to broadcast each start time on VHF ch77. We expect to coordinate start times using GPS time so starting on your GPS time should work well.

Any questions, please email me at mmulcare@xtra.co.nz or ph: 021 769 691

Division assignment and start times as follows :

Small boat :

17:45 Cherry-oh

18:00 Wishbone

18:02 Cesar's Palace

Middle course :

17:49 Manawa

17:51 Kimberley II

17:53 Infatuation

17:55 Infiltrator

17:57 Cordite

17:58 cant

17:58 Energy

18:00 Ocean Oasis

18:01 Takahoa

18:01 Arch Rival

18:02 Hot Gossip

18:03 Pacquita

18:04 Panacea

18:04 Pavo

18:05 double bruyn

18:05 perfect alibi

18:05 The Entertainer

18:06 pelagian 2

18:06 Motorboat

18:06 High-N-Fibre

18:07 Ballistic

18:07 Kia Kaha

18:07 Oracle

18:07 Hullabaloo

18:08 Flitzer 3

18:08 White weta

18:09 Drop Dead Fred

18:09 AZURE

18:10 Tri Hard

18:10 Banana Split

18:10 Elliphunk

18:10 Duty Free

18:10 Ovlov Marine

18:11 Grunt Machine

18:11 Fast Company

18:11 Sudden Impulse

18:12 Tigga

18:12 Maine Magic

18:12 Sign It

18:12 Enigma I

18:12 Team Sex

Long course :

17:45 Bizzarre

17:45 Chain Reaction

17:45 Peppermint Planet

17:45 THOR

17:47 House of Elliott

17:48 Atomic

17:48 Itchy Feet

17:48 Pork Chop

17:48 Transformer

17:49 Valium

17:50 Fineline

17:50 Truxton

17:50 Team vodafone - 2 laps

17:51 Boogie Flash

17:52 Pretty Woman

17:53 Notorious

17:54 Urban Cowboy

17:54 Moody Blue IV

17:55 Force Eleven

17:55 Marilyn

17:56 Outrageous Fortune

17:56 Overload

18:00 Mojo

18:01 Power Play

18:03 Crusader 35

18:07 Icebreaker

18:08 Hooters

18:09 Whio

18:14 Attitude

18:14 Tigre

18:17 Borderline

18:18 Dirty Deeds

18:21 Timberwolf

18:23 Charleston

18:27 Taeping

18:28 Ninja

18:30 Triple Eight

18:34 XL

18:40 Team vodafone Sailing - 1 lap

Hope the wind and weather is as predicted, 10-15kts SW or SSW and wishing all a fun and enjoyable evening.

Hope I haven't mucked up my ports and starboards in the courses, it's been a long day.

Forecast is going lighter. new rule, the race committee(me and the Grinnas) will stay in the tower till 8pm, if you aren't going to be in by then, head back to the stable and get up to Richmond for the party.

As before - if you aren't there to collect your rum, it will be "redistributed".

Jon...

Got a spot on the Hard Labour if you want...

It's faster than Danaide... hehe

Anyone else after a ride call me on 021 2267662 as have a few spots free...

Pier F1 (behind Richmond Yacht Club). Leaving dock at 5:45

Mark's promised to give us a kind handicap for an early xmas present and for once we will have the lowest 1020 handicap...

Thanks in advance Mark.

Forecast is going lighter. new rule, the race committee(me and the Grinnas) will stay in the tower till 8pm, if you aren't going to be in by then, head back to the stable and get up to Richmond for the party.

As before - if you aren't there to collect your rum, it will be "redistributed".

Oh .... well ..... looks like we'll have some rum drinking time in the start tower then.

At 8pm we will announce via VHF (Ch 77) the official cut off for the race for any non-finishers at that stage.

Well Cam I was all set to list Hard Labour at 17:45 but since I now know the boats faster than Danaid, I'll have to make that about 18:40, especially since it looks like it might get a serious sailor on board.

two more for the mid course :

18:09Sex on Fire

18:10 Hard Labour

Yay! first to start. :lol:

For those of us who don't normally sail on the Waitemata, do Orakei and Torpedo have actual number designations? Or any other way of identifying them?

Given our start time, we MAY get to those two before anyone else, and I can't find them on the chart.

I'm guessing Orakei is the yellow off the end of the wharf and Torpedo is the yellow by nr 19?

I'm lost already!

Archived