Westhaven Marine Village

ScottiE

I see the EOI's have been uploaded to GETS overnight for this part. Looks like a massive reduction in carparking on the west side as well as a big change to the marina berthage on that side.

Maybe you're supposed to use Len's choo choo to get the crews to and from the boats. They could extend the tram lines so that we have empty trams trundling up and down the marina instead of just going round and round in circles. :)

Westhaven Marine Village applies to the building platform that stretches between the marina offices and the tidal grids.

It was initially zoned open space recreational land which mysteriously morphed into a proposed waterside apartment development that was abandoned by Ports of Auckland before they sold the marina.

The proposed bridging of the western entrance to Westhaven Marina and the connected breakwater redevelopment is set to proceed as well.

Got to wonder where all the developmental loot is coming from in these chastened times though.

Got to wonder where all the developmental loot is coming from in these chastened times though.

Revenue from commercial floor space of course, why have car parking for race crews when you could lease that out at $1,000 per square meter.

Got it , thanks Scottie, Silly me thought NOrth was up and couldn't make sense of it.

Re parking - Last time I took the mighty Future Perfect out for a sail there was nowhere I could park for the time I was planning to be way (2-3 days midweek) and not get towed.

I can not see this development being successfully self funding.Sure Burnsco and such like along with some marine service providers could relocate to the western end of the marina but this will only see off a portion of the total costs involved.Along with the breakwater development these undertakings will take a lengthy period to balance the investment, if at all, and therefore the attached interest costs will fall to the marinas books.Read my lips ACC spends$$$$ we all pay, wether its through marina fees or property rates increases. ACC has had a play with the "tram to no where" and the little linkage bridge to the western reclamation but Westhaven Marina is primarily a recreational facility and ACC should not be playing the developer. Take a long hard look at the acrylic clad bridge spanning the motorway across to Jacobs ladder. Is this a glowing example of a cost efficient, functional, high use piece of architectural wonderment or just another public funded gratuity to the St Marys Bay Residents Association similar to the non performing extremely costly glass screen erected along the motorway side of the Bay.

That jacobs ladder bridge is a disaster of city council mismanagement right from the get go. There should be an inquiry into it.

As for this development, considering the issues when all they did was run a cable or watermain down westhaven drive....there goes the access we pay for for what, a year, two years?

1.That bridge is a good idea but it is in the wrong place.

It should have crossed Fanshaw St at the lights from Victoria park to Air NZ building - would have been used a lot more in that location.

Also it should have a ramp on the North side in its present location.

It was meant to open in March but now due to open shortly I believe.

2.I can't believe how many times they have dug up Westhaven Drive

3.There is talk of a cycleway/ walkway through Westhaven - has anybody got information re that ?

4. The way the council is going there won't be any boats left in Westhaven for them to bother with as no one will be able to afford it.

Archived