Westhaven Marine Village

ScottiE

It is becoming extremely difficult to grasp a focused overview of ACC,s intended vision for the future for the marina facility. Given the imminent demise of the swing moorings to allow for the expansion of access for the super yacht facility and the proposed removal of the pile moorings, is the total focus dollar related.Westhaven is primarily a recreational facility , similar in function to a sports ground.The ACC has little if zip history in developments of this nature and has therefore turned to offshore consultants for a plan.

Westhaven is for me a significant part of my cultural womb, christ I have spent most of my life and funds at this place. Yes I have some opinions and they may well be clouded by simple issues like I come from a long line of Irish slaves and coming to the marina on a still moonlight night just to to sit on my freehold yacht is for me Darwin in action.

Its not all about the bean counting.

Well ..... there's a reason why those beaches have silted up and become muddy and simply dumping a bunch of sand on the beaches is not going to alter the processes that caused them to silt up in the first place. It seems to me that "beach replenishment" will need to be an ongoing (and expensive) task until you do something to prevent the beaches getting muddy again.

Have just had an email pointing to the latest release.

http://www.waterfrontauckland.co.nz/wa/media/Documents/Westhaven%20Master%20Plan/The-Draft-Plans-for-Westhaven_Summary-FINAL_1.pdf

Virtually the complete elimination of pile moorings.

Someone(?) posted that the consultants in question have an English background... listening to Tom Cunliffe describe the trend in the UK towards the creeping sterilisation of once-lovely harbours with wall-to-wall marinas, this fits.

The dates are on the right hand side if the plan. Poles 2013-15 Piers G-S 2026.

Carpark 2013-14 with parking meters and a statement that users will probably opt for public transport :(

westhaven.JPG

(Copied this direct from the email that banaari mentioned. I think I'll pop along and see what's what)

If you would like to attend a presentation about the plans, these will be held:

Wednesday, 3 April 2013 5:00 PM-6:00 PM

Thursday, 4 April 2013 12:30 PM-1:30 PM

At: Waterfront Auckland, Pier 21 Building

11 Westhaven Drive

Freemans Bay

Please register if you would like to attend: by email to info@waterfrontauckland.co.nz with the title 'Westhaven presentation', or please call Waterfront Auckland on (09) 366 8820. To request a hard copy of the draft plans for Westhaven email info@waterfrontauckland.co.nz

Regards,

Kevin Lidgard

Westhaven Operations Manager

If we don't all attend - en masse - then we deserve what is without doubt coming.

Until local govt in its various forms offers me a viable and available alternative I feel I have to object (although unfortunately I have little doubt that nothing I can say will make a shred of difference).

My view is simple - there are kilometers of waterfront that could be developed with boardwalks and the like, so that the masses (who apparently don't like the water enough to get out on it) - and yes I realise their are many who simply cannot afford to - can get in touch with the harbour, while at the same there is an ever decreasing opportunity for me as a boat owner to moor safely and at reasonable cost. I have no problem with increasing accessibility to the harbour, but for fecks sake - in a marina, and to the detriment of legit marina users??

From the draft ..."to be part of a regionally connected newtork both for transport and information technology"...

Umm, you wot? Can't say I have ever seen a ferry boat with commuters in there - ever, don't think there is a bus service that goes down Westhaven Dr and wtf has IT got to do with anything?

This plan is madness. Can we stop it or influence it??

Only if we try...

Register and attend or lose your marina in its present guise.

Certainly going to the pack for average Kiwi boatie:

Ever increasing fees

Decreasing carparks

Decreasing and useless grids

No rigging barge

Soon no swing moorings

Soon very few pile moorings

Soon only one entrance

Forced relocation of yacht clubs

Forced repossesion of all the berths

More cafes!

More disruption to access with digging up the road and it would seem plans to keep building new / expensive grandiose facilities for years to come when a marina should really be a marina for the use of the boaties who put it there in the first place.

Conclusion - I am not sure how all this is going to benefit me as a paying member of Westhaven inc

They are proposing to remove the swing moorings and replace with 12m berths.

Also to remove all pile moorings and replace in 13.5-22m berths, starting next year.

Goodbye to low cost boating :(

Feedback

We want to make sure that you have the opportunity to take a look at the draft plans for Westhaven and give us your feedback before plans are finalised.

Feedback opens on 12 March and closes on 12 April.

For more information and to give feedback online visit http://www.waterfrontauckland.co.nz/westhavenplan

Phone 09 3368820 to request a hard copy of the feedback form

Even though I dont own a boat ill be going to one of these meetings to hear what will happen in the future. I cant see it being great for someone like me who wont be on an outstanding wage to ever have a boat in a marina.

Made my submission! Have you :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Take the time to do it people! This is the only way to get our views across that any development of Westhaven needs to keep a functioning marina as the Number 1 priority!

The plan includes the removal of all the swing and 312 pile moorings and replacing them with 381 marina and 37 pile moorings for 12-22m boats with an average around 15.8m. I wonder if they have looked at the average size of the boats they are likely to attract?

The redevelopment seems to be aimed at removing the smaller/cheaper offerings and maximising revenue from the berth holders to subsidise access for the general public. Although I would wonder where all these large boats are going to come from. Maybe they would just be shared by multiple smaller boats, you could get a few Piedy's in a 22m berth.

Also interesting to see they envisage a single yacht club out at the end of the breakwater, yet multiple clubs relocating there so the current clubs can be "adapted for other purposes".

With the 1000's of submissions AKl Shitty Council have already ignored on every subject do you really believe making a submission is a good use of your time?

With the 1000's of submissions AKl Shitty Council have already ignored on every subject do you really believe making a submission is a good use of your time?

If you make a submission at least you can say that you were part of the majority that didnt want it in the future especially if the amount of yachts decline even further from westhaven.

If you make a submission at least you can say that you were part of the majority that didnt want it in the future especially if the amount of yachts decline even further from westhaven.

The 'I told ya so' theory. Good call and I can't argue with that.

I'm just a little more skeptical after something else the ACC did last week.

Archived