ImOnA Boat Project (the new GDT)

samin

Anyone want to give a quick difference breakdown to a single hull driver but very interested observer?

Gregs (jamez) boat is GOP (hard chine), 7.6m long and will hopefully be able to beat up on the GBEs on a good day (bit faster than a 40ft mono race boat)

My new boat is round chine, foam glass main hull and tortured ply floats, is 8.5m long and will hopefully beat up on the top 8.5s on a good day (bit faster than a 50ft mono raceboat)

Both boats will have a nice cruising interior with a double bunk, cooker, seating etc not all out race boats.

this pic gives an idea of the hull volume

The step out will be extended to make the seats on each side, with the hull being the comfy angle for the back rest....

30 May.jpg

Rob Denney- "how much of the weight is carbon, glass, foam, resin, bog and paint?

what the layup was of the deck and hull?"

Main hull layup is 15mm H80 with 450 gram DB glass either side and an extra layer on the bottom inside and outside so we can park it on the beach.

topsides is 6mm ply with 450 gram DB glass on the outside but not the inside.

No carbon, except for local reinforcing around the beam mounts

One bulkhead under the mast and 4 half bulkheads under the front and back bunks, all 6mm ply.

havent decided about the deck, and cabin but leaning towards 15mm h80 foam with 450 gram db glass on underside and 450 gram DB glass with a 200 gram boat cloth on top.

We havent weighed the main hull yet but would guess the weight is Foam 18kg- Ply 15kg- bog 8kg, high build 8kg, outside lamenate glass 15kg resin 20kg, plus 4 kg of epoxy primer so thats about 88kg when we flipped it. Since then a 22x28 cedar gunnel has been glued on- prob about 5kg plus the lamenate, 9 kg of glass and 12 kg of resin.

Approx Total hull shell weight 114kg could easily be more tho. wont know till we weigh it. Hope this helps Rob? What would you suggest we use for seats and bunks, whats the lightest lamenate we can get away with?

I was thinking about this, you should have a water bed bladder as the back double bunk!!! how cool would that be !

You could fill it up when going down hill to keep the bows up!!! and also have a water bed when cruising!

The lightest bunks would probably be hammocks from the cabin top ? not very functional for sitting around a table on though.

have you considered fold up pipe berths ?

or you could just use ply. :)

I'm pretty sure the 'furniture' on What's News (Y8.4) was 9mm foam with 1 layer of boat cloth each side. That must be pretty light.

yup thats a light panel for sure. I guess you would dent it if the squab was off and you dropped a tool on it or something but ?

Iv seen some GBEs with polystyrene and glass bunks and cockpit soles and they seem to last ok, get a few holes eventually but it doesnt really matter if its not structural does it?

would be keen to hear from anyone who has done it before?

or you could use the normal TWU method of drinking till you pass out anywhere. needs no bunks, no squabs...

yup thats why we put hatches in the floats, comatose crew will get locked in there with a water bottle and bucket :lol: then you can sleep easy knowing they wont fall overboard when they wake up and try and urinate off the stern :thumbup:

a2010_0131Jan20100002.jpg

I'm pretty sure the 'furniture' on What's News (Y8.4) was 9mm foam with 1 layer of boat cloth each side. That must be pretty light.

yup thats a light panel for sure. I guess you would dent it if the squab was off and you dropped a tool on it or something but ?

Iv seen some GBEs with polystyrene and glass bunks and cockpit soles and they seem to last ok, get a few holes eventually but it doesnt really matter if its not structural does it?

would be keen to hear from anyone who has done it before?

Samin

After six years of no squabs we have a few dings but nothing we're woried about. You're welcome to come have a look if you want. I reckon it's a pretty good solution.

Rhys

What weight boat cloth did you use and what density foam? I used 200 gram boat cloth on 100 kg2 foam for my small test panel. Also whats the largest unsupported panel you did with it? And what thickness and how many layers on the taping? Id love to have a look. I Will pm you.

Hi Samin,

Whats news panels look to be Klegecell so they would be 75kgm2 the boat cloth looks to be cose to 300gm and panel sizings would be similar to yours.

the only issue you would have is dings. So carfull placement of rudders etc is required.

because you have 100kg foam you should be able to get away with 200gm cloth.

the most common larger panel is 10mm 80kg with 400gm db vaccumed eitherside, eg cookson 50 fwd bunk with the odd uni in way of the fwd hatch.

I have several test panels you may like to have a look at. Tapping typically 80-100mm 400gm db, or 300gm db if you can get it. Think of a minimum of 30mm of glass bond past the glue cove.

progress slow but steady.... finished glassing the inside, built and installed anchor locker, front 3 bulkheads and front double bunk

And you can see the cabintop in progress on the left

decided to use 300gram DB on each side of the front bunk... pretty bendy but should be ok...

and decided to keep on with the standard 2 layers for taping in bulheads, 100mm then 50mm 400gm DB. Dont want them cracking for the sake of a few kgs......

aDSCF2672.jpg

Fantastic! And I saw a photo of a woman working inside the hull. How did you get her in there? Abduct her family and threaten to kill them if she didn't work on the boat? What's your secret?

Fantastic! And I saw a photo of a woman working inside the hull. How did you get her in there? Abduct her family and threaten to kill them if she didn't work on the boat? What's your secret?

I understand he had to buy an expensive, shiny, ring shaped thing. :D

that and the fact that when we met I had a small racing tri, which she loved coming cruising on but had very limited interior.

We looked at buying a boat but couldnt find one that was faster than my old boat with bigger interior for under about 150k (which we didnt have) so decided to build one (her idea) :thumbup:

The 8.5 rule is the perfect class for ridiculously fast boats that can have a decent cruisability and close racing at a reasonable price.

We also looked at keelboats but theres nothing around that size/cost that have a decent interior and spectacular speed.

I really wanted to build a 10m tri but then we couldnt race it, would never be able to keep up with the 8.5s let alone the open class tris without spending a bloody fortune on carbon...

I really wanted to build a 10m tri but then we couldnt race it, would never be able to keep up with the 8.5s let alone the open class tris without spending a bloody fortune on carbon...

sounds like you did anyway (spent a fortune on carbon that is)! Is congrats in order here or is Ken havin' a wind up?

Is congrats in order here or is Ken havin' a wind up?

didnt you notice the big shiny ring on her finger when we had club night down at the boat- someone made a smart ass comment about how much carbon I could have bought instead :wink:

Archived